U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 04:28 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,124,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Colorado Springs has all the superiority complex of Denver with none of the overrated amenities except for the lush mountain views.
I'm from Denver but have lived in the Springs for 17 years. IMO the Springs has more of a jealousy issue with Denver than a superiority complex. I can't reference the article from years past, but it had to do with state expenditures. Infrastructure, highways, etc. per capita. The report indicated COS receives far less than Metro Denver. Some would chalk that up to politics because many Denverites view us as a conservative bastion.

Colorado Springs has grown significantly but still sees itself as a small town. Reno, "Biggest Little City in the World". Colorado Springs, "Smallest Big City in the World".

Old 06-23-2016, 05:40 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I'm from Denver but have lived in the Springs for 17 years. IMO the Springs has more of a jealousy issue with Denver than a superiority complex. I can't reference the article from years past, but it had to do with state expenditures. Infrastructure, highways, etc. per capita. The report indicated COS receives far less than Metro Denver. Some would chalk that up to politics because many Denverites view us as a conservative bastion.

Colorado Springs has grown significantly but still sees itself as a small town. Reno, "Biggest Little City in the World". Colorado Springs, "Smallest Big City in the World".
Of course, Denver gets preferential treatment on state spending. The governor was pretty much the mastermind behind the resurgence of downtown Denver and was the former mayor of the city.

Why would John Hickenlooper care much about Colorado Springs? He is not from here, they did not vote for him, the voters stand in the way of his agenda.

Heck, even his former vice governor was from Pueblo.

Colorado Springs will have even less and less influence if the state gets more Democratic or if the legislature turns to the left again.

Boulder and Fort Collins get lots of state funds because they are major university towns. Boulder has a very productive economy with one of the highest gross metropolitan products per capita in the nation.

I honestly can't think of a governor in the near past that was not from metro Denver.

The Denver combined statistical area has nearly 2/3rds of the state population. It is the reason why the state is above the national average on pay, household income and per-capita income.

The economy is very weak in Colorado if Denver and the ski resort counties are taken out of the equation. The state should rain money on Denver as it is a jobs creating machine.

Usually when you have a major metropolitan area in a state that isn't very populated that is what happens.

Arizona was exactly the same where metro Phoenix is first priority because roughly 2/3rds of the state population lives in metro Phoenix.

In regards to Nevada it is different there. Governor Sandoval is from the Reno area, University of Reno has traditionally been the research university of the state and the state Capitol is in Carson City which is just south of Reno.

The largest industrial park in North America is just outside Reno thanks to generous subsidies such as what Tesla is going to be receive from the state.

Reno is certainly a much different city then Colorado Springs.

Reno has a reputation as being a city of moderate Republicans who like to invest in their city. Colorado Springs for one of America's leaders when it comes to tax limitations.

I think people would be surprised if they knew how much Reno is economically booming, especially compared to Las Vegas which is in the midst of a construction and tourism boom but not much else.

I certainly believe in tax limitation because there are many local government gone wild. Colorado Springs though takes it to the extreme. It also makes the city a national laughing stock when they make weird, attention getting cuts to services.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:46 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
I am very happy living here.
Soon, the right-wing nutjobs will be shipped back to their Mexican homeland.
Have a very pleasant day.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:15 AM

958 posts, read 791,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
From your point of view you may be leveling that charge against only liberals but you should be aware that liberals are likely to want to level the same charges against conservatives.
It's all a matter of perspective.
Ive generally found that only kooks capitalize liberty and freedom. Great concepts to be sure, but no need to capitalize, folks

Old 06-24-2016, 09:30 AM

4,324 posts, read 1,787,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Liberty View Post
Omg Colorado Springs has gone downhill so bad that they now have armed security guards at many of the grocery stores because of all of the gangbanging thugs who have caused problems in them. The Springs has a massive illegal problem as well. That city use to be so beautiful and now the majority of it is a crime sudden craphole.
You must be from a small town the Springs is incredibly safe compared to many other cities.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:33 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,731,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
You must be from a small town the Springs is incredibly safe compared to many other cities.
Agreed. I keep seeing posts about Denver and Colorado Springs being full of crime, rude people, etc. I don't think some people realize how good we have it in Colorado.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 AM

4,324 posts, read 1,787,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Agreed. I keep seeing posts about Denver and Colorado Springs being full of crime, rude people, etc. I don't think some people realize how good we have it in Colorado.
I dare those posters to walk around at night at kensington avenue in Philadelphia then report back if they still think Colorado Springs has bad crime.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:16 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,463,471 times
^^^^
Don't forget North Broad Street. In broad daylight.

I do think it doesn't take much disorder (abusive language, aggressive begging, public misbehavior) to give a feeling of being unsafe, and making it less desirable to be in those places.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:32 AM

3,049 posts, read 2,077,790 times
Which is ironic consider how we collectively have become more callous to rough language, violence, etc.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,463,471 times
Yes, when we're in control of it (our own swearing, or TV/movies). But when it comes from "outside," and in public, it looks like disorder. It feels unsafe; and it doesn't take a lot.

I used to walk from the Beacon Hill area of Boston, across the Common, to an office that was in the still-seedy former Combat Zone area (red-light district). I noticed that my stance and stride unconsciously and automatically changed as I left the more orderly affluent area and ran the gauntlet of drunks, mentally ill people, people hallucinating, druggies, beggars. I am not afraid per se (I had worked in psych hospitals) but it certainly didn't make me want to linger there, or have coffee there, or be there at all. I personally blame the well-meaning liberals (and cheap conservatives) who closed the state hospitals. It never used to be that bad before.

Just one of the pleasures of a good downtown is the feeling of bustling activity, of people coming and going, of civilization. Uncivilized behavior in public is very off-putting. I don't find it colorful or diverse or any such, I just don't want to see it. Where are the musicians playing in the park, or people doing sidewalk art? That is urban civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or