Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:54 AM

139 posts, read 221,735 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a lifelong resident of this state, and have lived in several areas including Greeley, Sterling, Greenwood Village, and Canon City. I have also lived in other states such as Texas, Maryland, and Pennsylvania, but am a native of Colorado. And, Colorado is my least favorite.

For starters, conservatives are seemingly not welcome in Colorado anymore. The state is becoming increasingly liberal, even in places like Weld County. Now, some people appreciate this, but I can't stand it.

Now, home prices are outrageous in Colorado. It's hard to get a cheap apartment in Denver for less than $2,500 (I live with a family). We live near Greeley now, and it is still way too expensive. It makes no sense, we lived near Gettysburg, Pa. and it was much cheaper than Colorado.

Drugs are horrible in Colorado. When we lived in the Sterling area, drugs and drug dealers roamed the town in broad daylight. The schools are full of drugs throughout the state (and the country, but CO is the worst I have seen), but Logan County, Colorado has got to have the most drugs per capita I have ever seen.

People are actually very unfriendly in Colorado. Denver is not an inviting place at all.

We are moving to Amarillo, Texas possibly by June 20 due to a job offer, and I cannot wait to get out of the hell that is Colorado.

I will definitely be attacked for this opinion, but I am a native (born in Greeley, raised in Phillips County), and know this state. This post is not meant to offend anybody, just to give my personal opinion.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:01 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
I agree. You're not alone on this. Colorado is hostile towards people who aren't politically aligned to the left. The left coast and northeast are the same way. If you're not a yuppie, hipster or rich liberal, then don't bother being here unless you keep your opinions to yourself.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
Hello, I am a lifelong resident of this state, and have lived in several areas including Greeley, Sterling, Greenwood Village, and Canon City. I have also lived in other states such as Texas, Maryland, and Pennsylvania, but am a native of Colorado. And, Colorado is my least favorite.

For starters, conservatives are seemingly not welcome in Colorado anymore. The state is becoming increasingly liberal, even in places like Weld County. Now, some people appreciate this, but I can't stand it.

Now, home prices are outrageous in Colorado. It's hard to get a cheap apartment in Denver for less than $2,500 (I live with a family). We live near Greeley now, and it is still way too expensive. It makes no sense, we lived near Gettysburg, Pa. and it was much cheaper than Colorado.

Drugs are horrible in Colorado. When we lived in the Sterling area, drugs and drug dealers roamed the town in broad daylight. The schools are full of drugs throughout the state (and the country, but CO is the worst I have seen), but Logan County, Colorado has got to have the most drugs per capita I have ever seen.

People are actually very unfriendly in Colorado. Denver is not an inviting place at all.

We are moving to Amarillo, Texas possibly by June 20 due to a job offer, and I cannot wait to get out of the hell that is Colorado.

I will definitely be attacked for this opinion, but I am a native (born in Greeley, raised in Phillips County), and know this state. This post is not meant to offend anybody, just to give my personal opinion.
Yeah, Amarillo Texas sounds more your speed. Not sure why you would think Greeley should cost less than tiny Gettysburg, PA where the stone memorials are the only thing of value.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
Your experiences, history, and observations are appreciated. I'm glad no one has attacked your thread (at least not yet). Some places do change in negative ways, sometimes due to complex factors. It is sad when they do. Best of wishes for your future.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:38 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Not every state is for everyone. I like Amarillo as it reminds me a lot of Pueblo. Good luck and if you look college football your new team there plays Pueblo a lot.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:41 PM

137 posts, read 196,971 times
When OP talks about Maryland, I'm assuming they weren't in the main corridor in the Baltimore and DC metro area. Because unless you're on the eastern shore or out west, Colorado has nothing on Maryland in terms of being liberal or drug problems. But that's kind of the problem of comparing entire states.

Also, how is one a "lifelong resident" yet they've been residents of other states? I've seen a ton of right wingers in Colorado who aren't shy about it. I don't really fit in with any of the ideological goofiness of liberals or conservatives, so I don't understand the need to surround myself with people who agree with me. If I did, there would be no place for me to move to.

It's good to see someone who is unhappy doing something about it.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:48 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post

So i think the fact that you are, A) moving to Texas, and B) see Gettysburg as anything even close to comparable, says it all. You definitely should move, but realize that the country is becoming more liberal, home prices are always rising (at least in a desirable location), drugs are and will always be an issue, no matter where you live in the US. Beauty and opportunity are not for everyone.l

Old 06-02-2016, 01:52 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
Interesting observations, OP. I do disagree on some points, though:

Colorado has without a doubt become more liberal in recent years, but I don't see how "conservatives are not welcome." There are plenty of conservatives in Colorado (Colorado Springs, anyone), but there is also a live-and-let-live attitude here. The gun-toting, bible-thumping types may not be welcome with open arms quite as much as a place like Texas. As a liberal myself, the state's political shift toward the left doesn't bother me one bit (I actually welcome it), but I can see where it is disheartening to more conservative people.

I actually find the people in Colorado (even in Denver) to be very friendly. I used to find the people a bit standoffish, but moved to Chicago for a couple years and returned with a whole new perspective (I found Chicago to be extremely rude and unfriendly in comparison). I've observed that the people here aren't nosy and judgmental, which can come across as standoffish. It's quite different than the southern states and Texas where there's more of a culture of being in everyone else's business, but personally I like it.

Like others have mentioned, though, it sounds like Texas is more of your kind of place, so hopefully it will be a good move for you. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2016, 01:57 PM

139 posts, read 221,735 times
Thanks everybody for wishing me luck! And, I lived near Frederick, Maryland if that makes a difference. (My mother is from the east coast and we moved out there to be near her, but moved back out west later on)

Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Regarding the politics, we have a Republican Senate, Centrist Democratic governor, and Democratic House. We had a Republican defeat an incumbent Democratic US Senator in the last election. 4 of our 7 US Reps are Republicans.

This is all very typical for Colorado. I have a hard time understanding how you think conservatives are not welcome.

Drugs are everywhere. Have you been reading about the opioid epidemic that is hitting rural, conservative areas especially hard?

All that said, if you're not happy here, you should definitely move.

I can't resist posting this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado