U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
Thank you all so much! Sorry for the delayed response, but I really appreciate all of the advice/info! It definitely saddens me thinking CO might not be for me; I'm definitely drawn to the mountains & fell in love with the idea of having so much to do outdoors. Nature really effects my mood in a positive way, I'd love to spend my time off hiking & exploring different places/parks/trails/etc. I know I need to physically visit places before moving, but it's hard knowing that even if I narrow it down to the state, there's still SO many cities that are polar opposite than others. My biggest fear is not fitting in or feeling at "home" or that I belong wherever I end up. I definitely want to be at my happiest & start/create a new life. Obviously being in my 20's I'm also interested living somewhere that's good for singles to meet new people; I love going out to dinner, grabbing drinks, going to sports events, concerts, etc. Big country fan. Also, LOVE taking photos of scenic places.
It may be for you, it may not. It's important to visit and do a reality/sanity check. Many love it here, I know it do. Others do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 03:32 PM

147 posts, read 187,697 times
Having lived in quaint, small town New England for nearly 10 years, I emphasize that the advice so far has been spot on. The "country" here is not like the "country" in New England. The "burbs" here are not like the "burbs" in New England. Expect some culture and environmental shock. A short visit is not going to give you much of a glimpse into living here, but you should do it anyway, just to get it out of your system. There comes a point in life when, if there is something you want to do, then just do it. The worse that can happen is that you do not like it, and move back to the Big East (or elsewhere). I strongly suggest you have a job before moving here. Not being able to provide for yourself will ruin any adventure, no matter where you are.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:18 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
On city age profiles (for those interested in it):

Wheat Ridge turns out to indeed be one of the Denver metro cities with highest average age at 42. Greenwood Village is higher at 45.

Wheat Ridge has about 18% of its population in the 21-34 yr band. Slightly more than in the over 65 range. The Denver metro average is 20.5%, with an average age of 36. The U.S. average is 19%, with an average age of 37. So not huge differences here.

Golden has a median age of 33 and 27% between 21-34. Lakewood, 39 yr avg. and 21% in 21-34 band. Lafayette 37 yrs and 19%. Boulder 28 yrs and 31%.

In most cities, youth, young adults, middle aged and older are all minority groups. There are places where one is bigger than normal but pretty rare where any age band is an outright majority (outside retirement cities, college dominated small cities, tech hot spots...)

Average age will also vary greatly by neighborhood and even street.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-12-2016 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 05:28 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Now let's look at population > 65 years old. In order:

Lafayette 8.1%
Golden 10.0%
Denver 10.4%
Boulder 10.8%
Colorado 10.9%
Lakewood 14.5%
Wheat Ridge 18.6%
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...835,0884440,00

Now hey, I have nothing against the over 65 crowd; I'm a part of it now. But a 25 year old would probably be more comfortable living among her peers. Anyway, the information is out there.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:43 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Didn't have this datapoint earlier: Denver by itself- average age of 34, 27% between 21-34 yrs.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:41 AM

330 posts, read 346,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewest View Post
Having lived in quaint, small town New England for nearly 10 years, I emphasize that the advice so far has been spot on. The "country" here is not like the "country" in New England. The "burbs" here are not like the "burbs" in New England. Expect some culture and environmental shock. A short visit is not going to give you much of a glimpse into living here, but you should do it anyway, just to get it out of your system. There comes a point in life when, if there is something you want to do, then just do it. The worse that can happen is that you do not like it, and move back to the Big East (or elsewhere). I strongly suggest you have a job before moving here. Not being able to provide for yourself will ruin any adventure, no matter where you are.
^^^This, x1000! Especially the points I bolded in the quote.

Long ago, before the Internet (really, there was such a time in living memory), I accepted a job offer in Colorado at age 28, packed up my stuff, and moved here from another state. In my case it was about the job, and except for visiting some relatives and coming for the job interview I'd never been here before. In my case it turned out to be a permanent move, although I'd half-expected that I'd do the job for a few years and then return to Texas. But I liked it here and have stuck.

I wonder sometimes if, because we do have instant access to so much information, we have fallen into habits of over-thinking things these days. Or maybe I was just very ignorant, as well as young, back then. But I didn't think too much about the built environment of the Denver area, and except for knowing that I'd need to learn to drive in winter conditions we didn't have on the Texas Gulf Coast, I didn't spend any time fussing about the weather.

What I'm trying to say, I think, is that it's wise to know your preferences and have a wish list, but that your 20's are a great time to make some moves and try some new things, and find out what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:51 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,553 times
Quote:
... The "country" here is not like the "country" in New England. The "burbs" here are not like the "burbs" in New England. Expect some culture and environmental shock. A short visit is not going to give you much of a glimpse into living here, but you should do it anyway, just to get it out of your system. There comes a point in life when, if there is something you want to do, then just do it...
I agree 100%! These are very important points, both about the regional differences, but also the need to explore when one's urge to relocate is strong.

Quote:
The worse that can happen is that you do not like it, and move back to the Big East (or elsewhere). I strongly suggest you have a job before moving here.
I have to point out that this is a trickier aspect. I had a job in CO before moving, but did not anticipate the effect of cost of living here, and other costly differences over where I used to live. Plus, I found the job market to be worse in CO over my prior location. The point is, it's too easy to check off the box of "Yes, I have a job lined up in the new location" and not look any further. It's not always that simple.

So... I'd caution against a "try out" relocation, because a person can lose a lot of saved money that way. It's better to dig deeper and focus on finding "the place"; aiming for a one-time move and putting down roots.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-13-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 06-13-2016, 09:10 AM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I agree 100%! These are very important points, both about the regional differences, but also the need to explore when one's urge to relocate is strong.

I have to point out that this is a trickier aspect. I had a job in CO before moving, but did not anticipate the effect of cost of living here, and other costly differences over where I used to live. Plus, I found the job market to be worse in CO over my prior location. The point is, it's too easy to check off the box of "Yes, I have a job lined up in the new location" and not look any further. It's not always that simple.

So... I'd caution against a "try out" relocation, because a person can lose a lot of saved money that way. It's better to dig deeper and focus on finding "the place"; aiming for a one-time move and putting down roots.
Correction - you found the job market in Fort Collins to be worse than where you came from. The job market in the Denver Metro Area is exponentially better than Northern Colorado - in fact it's one of the best in the country.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:22 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Correction - you found the job market in Fort Collins to be worse than where you came from. The job market in the Denver Metro Area is exponentially better than Northern Colorado - in fact it's one of the best in the country.
Well, maybe for you. I've certainly explored Denver and spent a lot of time investigating the scene there. Although the job market is better, it has the downside of being even more expensive and more compact (homes shoved next to each other like sardines), with much more traffic. Considering all factors, that's no improvement. I'm glad though that Denver is a good fit for you.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-13-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 AM

45 posts, read 28,282 times
Thank you all so much for your advice/info! Someone had brought it to my attention that I never stated my ethnicity, religion, views, etc. This is what I responded in another thread - I'm white; Irish & Portuguese to be exact. I was raised Catholic, but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself religious in the sense that I read the bible or go to church. I definitely have my faith & beliefs & pray when I need someone to talk to, but I guess I don't openly discuss it because I don't know how to categorize myself. I don't follow or care for politics, either. However, I'm definitely liberal when it comes down to it. I love animals, but I'm far from vegan & don't get offended by people who wear fur or leather. I'm not materialistic in terms of designer this, designer that, but I'm also not a hipster. I've always considered myself a little bit of everything. I'm pretty versatile & have many different personalities wrapped in one.

Does anyone know if there are areas outside of/near Boulder of Estes Park that are less inexpensive? It's seems/sounds so beautiful but I know I couldn't afford it based on apartment listings. Also, my mom said she has cousins in Fort Collins. Has anyone lived there before? Yay or nay for a single outdoor lover? & I promise I'm going to be visiting before moving! I would never just pick a place on a map & move on a whim, even though it works out for some!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or