U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:23 AM

6,525 posts, read 10,194,145 times

Advertisements

I love Fort Collins, but given your age and your current career trajectory I can't recommend it. Northern Colorado is pretty heavily saturated in the veterinary field because of the CSU vet school. You'll be competing with folks close to your age in the vet program who are willing to work for almost nothing to get experience.

Outside of the veterinary field the economy up there is not as robust as it is in the Denver area and competition for existing jobs is very fierce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 AM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Default This is the West and not New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
Does anyone know if there are areas outside of/near Boulder or Estes Park that are less inexpensive?
Not really.

1. Rhode Island - static population for 25+ years.
Colorado - has gained 2.3 million people in the same time frame

2. Rhode Island - water is plentiful
Colorado - water is for fighting over

The only really "affordable" places in Colorado have no jobs and no water.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:02 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your advice/info! Someone had brought it to my attention that I never stated my ethnicity, religion, views, etc. This is what I responded in another thread - I'm white; Irish & Portuguese to be exact. I was raised Catholic, but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself religious in the sense that I read the bible or go to church. I definitely have my faith & beliefs & pray when I need someone to talk to, but I guess I don't openly discuss it because I don't know how to categorize myself. I don't follow or care for politics, either. However, I'm definitely liberal when it comes down to it. I love animals, but I'm far from vegan & don't get offended by people who wear fur or leather. I'm not materialistic in terms of designer this, designer that, but I'm also not a hipster. I've always considered myself a little bit of everything. I'm pretty versatile & have many different personalities wrapped in one.

Does anyone know if there are areas outside of/near Boulder of Estes Park that are less inexpensive? It's seems/sounds so beautiful but I know I couldn't afford it based on apartment listings. Also, my mom said she has cousins in Fort Collins. Has anyone lived there before? Yay or nay for a single outdoor lover? & I promise I'm going to be visiting before moving! I would never just pick a place on a map & move on a whim, even though it works out for some!
Define "affordable". I love Lyons.

Ft Collins is nice. Can you find a job there?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:50 AM

99 posts, read 64,199 times
A lot of suburbs of Denver are nice. I've lived in Parker, Golden, and moving to Westminster in a month. I spent a lot of time in Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Littleton, Arvada, and Lakewood. Golden has a lot of outdoor activities (closer to mountains), close to Denver (25-35 minute drive, light rail), and has a cozy homey feel (same with Arvada). With each of these suburbs, most have light rail or will have light/commuter rail added soon, so that gives you easy access to sports games, concerts, events, etc.

However houses and apt's are more expensive in the Denver metro area than cities like Parker, Centennial, and Thornton. Those cities potentially only add about 15ish minutes to Denver, but the savings may outweigh that.
And CO has a lot in seasons change.

Outside of CO, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Portland, OR, Santa Fe, could be looked at.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:24 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,528,397 times
Manitou Springs, canon city, georgetown, idaho springs

Old 06-18-2016, 04:15 PM

147 posts, read 187,643 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if there are areas outside of/near Boulder of Estes Park that are less inexpensive? It's seems/sounds so beautiful but I know I couldn't afford it based on apartment listings. Also, my mom said she has cousins in Fort Collins. Has anyone lived there before? Yay or nay for a single outdoor lover? & I promise I'm going to be visiting before moving! I would never just pick a place on a map & move on a whim, even though it works out for some!

Fort Collins is my home now. The biggest expense, besides taxes, is housing. We are in a housing bubble, so it has gotten expensive. Jobs are available for certain skills. As mentioned, veterinary skills, but also some high tech skills, education, and, of course, the hospitality field (folks love to dine out). All other things being equal, Denver is probably a better choice due to the better job market, and more choices for housing. Also, the more centralized Denver location gives you more choices for outdoor activities as well, although there is certainly plenty to do here.

In case you come to FC to live or visit, its pronounced "puder", not "pudrey"

Old 06-20-2016, 09:12 AM

19 posts, read 25,369 times
If you're thinking about relocating to Colorado, bring money. Lots of it. I'd seriously consider North Carolina, northern Georgia, East Tennessee or something similar that will be cheaper, less of a contrast and easier to adjust to. Plus, relocation costs will be less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or