U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:54 PM

45 posts, read 28,282 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I'm a single 25 year old female born & raised in a small town in New England, desperately needing a change! I'd like to live somewhere that's scenic, laid back, has a lot to do outdoors, has a hometown feel, but still close by to a major city, & is also known for food, music, & preferably sports...what're your suggestions/pros & cons? Also, I do love the change in seasons & I'm a vet tech which isn't exactly a high paying job, but I love what I do! Thank you all in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 09:51 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
North Carolina should be on your list of places.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 PM

It is! Any recommendations in terms of cities?

Old 06-07-2016, 07:02 PM

Maybe more info will help in terms of replies?

The people I grew up with & encounter tend to be selfish, shallow, & fake for the lack of a better description. I'd like to find & meet kind, genuine, down to earth people. I'm not high maintenance either, & in terms of what I'm looking for, I'm definitely drawn to the mountains but I have a very versatile personality which is why I'd like to live in an area with a little bit of everything. I'm an ambivert, there are times I love doing things on my own, which is why I'd like to live in a state/city that has a lot to do outdoors, but I also enjoy being around others & going out for dinner, drinks, sports events, etc. so nightlife is definitely important as well. Definitely don't want to live in the middle of nowhere (especially since I'm single & would like to find my person), but not necessarily in a large/major city either. I haven't been to CO, so I'm just trying to narrow down possible locations so I can plan trips & visit before relocating. I've been doing my research & there's so many things I already want to do! For example: Great Sand Dunes National Park, Maroon-Bells Snowmass Wilderness, Hanging Lake, Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Garden of the Gods, & so much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 07:34 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,307,776 times
Check out South Jordan Utah. Cheaper cost of living, less traffic, quiet yet close to Salt Lake City. If you drive south on I-15, there's Utah Lake if you like fishing or boating.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:27 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, will do!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:42 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
How close to a major city?
Is desire for "sports", outdoor activities, rec leagues or spectator sports or all of above?

You might look at Lyons (between Boulder and Estes Park). If you are willing to venture further from Denver, then consider Dillon / Frisco. Even further out, Salida. If you want low key, maybe Conifer.

In NC, look at Weaverville, just north of Asheville. Or maybe Black Mountain, just east of it. If you'd like or be agreeable to more old-fashioned (and older), there is Waynesville. Also old fashioned but smaller is Mars Hill, though its small college sets it apart from a lot of other small towns. Boone in NW corner of state is about 90 miles from Winston Salem and has a moderate sized university. If want to be close to a big city, Davidson is worth a look. Couple hours to the main mountains but a huge lake and some forest nearby and a nice college. The colleges will add cultural variety and will have a fair number of interesting 20 & 30 something aged staff. From Asheville, you'd be about 300 miles to Charleston S.C., about 375 to Wilmington NC. From Charlotte NC area it is about 200 miles to either coast location. Anywhere in NC you should expect lots of summer humidity (and bugs).

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-07-2016 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 PM

I'd like to be no more than an hour or so outside of a major city, somewhere like Denver for example! & I love attending sports games & events; but I'm also interested in hiking & being more active/picking up new hobbies which is why I'm so drawn to Colorado. I fall in love with all of the photos/social media accounts, it's just so hard to choose & know which city would be the best fit for me. Thank you for your input!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:20 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Do you have a preferred size for the city you live in? Most of my suggestions were on the small side of things.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:34 PM

I guess in-between would be preferred! I definitely wouldn't want to live in a busy city, but I also wouldn't want to live somewhere isolated or deserted. I've always wanted to live somewhere scenic with a lot of land, where houses aren't on top of one another, but still close by to other people & amenities. Somewhere cozy with a hometown feel, if that makes sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or