U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 13,646 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Because life is full of surprises, I may soon be moving to Cortez from Indiana. The move is due solely to my significant other's love for the town and area and his emotional need to relocate. I'm still weighing my options.

Some important factors:

I have been employed by my local Wal-Mart for the last six years. Presumably, I will be able to transfer to the Cortez store, though I may be forced to drop a few pay grades (if the local store doesn't need to fill the precise position I'm vacating here).

I would also like to pursue other job opportunities. I have a B.A. in Communication Studies and Anthropology, as well as some graduate level credits in Comm Studies and History. I'm open to many possibilities, but government or not-for-profit would be fantastic (due to a federal student loan forgiveness program)!

Now may or may not be the right time for a career change, as I am expecting a baby in January (dun dun dun). However, this should not be a huge factor in my job search, as I definitely plan to keep working (I've been supporting my boyfriend and his family single-handedly for about a year now). I want to keep working, and my (older, more arthritic ) boyfriend would rather stay home with the kid and do his carpentry thing on the side.

I don't need to live anywhere fancy. Affordable housing is a must because, again, I am supporting a family on Wal-Mart wages. I don't have strong feelings on buying vs. renting at this moment in my life. I just need affordable monthly payments!

I will be visiting Cortez from about July 8-20, taking care of business and trying to figure out if I can make this move happen. I will gladly utilize any resources available to me.

So, hey! Does anyone have advice? Questions?

DWA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 AM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
Cortez housing costs are moderate compared to Durango. You probably can find something acceptable. There are some streets with big shade trees. Dolores to the north and Mancos to the east are other options if being closer to the mountains or Durango is desired. Your plan for an extended scouting visit will give you time to consider options and get a feel for neighborhoods if you hang out a bit. Most will probably be ok though some will be better and a few could be worse.

No current professional openings at Mesa Verde National Park, one at crowcanyon.org might not be a perfect fit. Look at City of Cortez, Montezuma County, Bureau of Land Management, Forest Service, etc. Local newspaper job ads http://marketplace.the-journal.com/s...726&pcatid=300
The Ballentine jobs are newspaper ad sale jobs. Also check local workforce center, big internet job sites. There will be some jobs on several and some unique to just one. Being able to transfer into a local job is good. Other options can be pursued while in that base. Being local probably counts for a lot in many hires. There also might be some positions of interest with area schools or the Ute Mountain Ute tribe in areas like health education. There is a fair amount of opportunities for carpentry work in Montezuma County and in Durango.

Cortez has more going on than a lot of people realize. The Sunflower Theatre gets some quality entertainment. https://sunflowertheatre.org/cortez-events/

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-11-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 11:48 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,528,101 times
Pueblo has Walmarts and is comparable in price to Cortez

Old 06-11-2016, 03:38 PM

Thanks everyone! Speaking of jobs (I'll take all of the advice I can get!), I didn't mean to imply that my significant other isn't open to employment!

My boyfriend is a highly skilled and experienced carpenter but has recently considered finding a less physical job. One of his sons (an 18-year-old recent high school graduate with only fast food work experience) is also skilled in construction. His youngest son is 16 with no prior employment history.

All three are interested in finding local employment.

Thanks again! I can't wait to come see Cortez for myself!

Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
Little known tidbit: flights into Cortez itself exist and may be cheaper (because of government subsidies) and more convenient than coming thru Durango airport.

Making a list of things most important to you may help. Can you find acceptable answers for half to 2/3rds? If so, that is not bad. More, great. Less than half... maybe also consider other options in Colorado, your home state or wherever. If something important is missing, can you drive to it on special occasions or get it on vacations? You can either miss it or figure out how to get it.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:43 AM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Colorado Rambler is our resident Cortez local. She can give you lots of info.

I have spent a little bit of time there working with the Utes. It's a very small desert town with some beautiful surrounding areas. Good brewery on the main drag.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 PM

Thanks again, everyone! It appears it's Cortez or that immediate area. No room for compromise. I've been looking into the area and am content with that choice. I do worry about present and future employment. I'm leaving behind a pretty solid support system. I can't see myself officially relocating until I have places to live and work.

I look forward to hearing from Colorado Rambler (or any local)! *crosses fingers*

Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 AM

463 posts, read 978,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownWithApathy View Post
... I do worry about present and future employment. I'm leaving behind a pretty solid support system. ...
You should worry. Four Corners is kinda in the middle of nowhere. Your job options will be very limited. In the Ohio Valley, at least you have Evansville and Louisville. SW Colorado is beautiful but proceed with caution. I couldn't get out of there fast enough but, hey, that's just me. I can see how it would be a great place to retire but it is a very hard dollar if you are still working and have a family to support. GL whatever you decide.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:08 AM

Thanks again for the replies! Very much appreciated! To be clear, my boyfriend and his sons are already in/near Cortez (camping and the like), and I will be joining them for two weeks in July. In the meantime, I need to look into my options for housing, jobs, possible transfer within my current company, health insurance issues, etc. I want to make this work, but there are things that need to be resolved before I can make that leap. Clearly, I'm the "responsible" partner in my relationship.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:25 PM

463 posts, read 978,594 times
Tell them there is good fishing in Totten Reservoir just east of Cortez (pike and perch), also bass in Smith res. GL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado