U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 PM

894 posts, read 481,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterCeptor View Post
I have lived in N. Colorado for over 20 years (yes, actually more), and would choose Fort Collins over Colorado Springs for one reason. The water is better.

I lived just outside CS for 11 months while on a contract gig and found the water in CS to be some of the hardest water I have ever experienced in my life. A bit of background: as a child, my parents traveled all over Oklahoma to visit relatives, so I have stayed in areas where the water was soft (east Okla) and areas where the water was hard (NW Okla). CS has close to the hardest water I have ever experienced.

Funny thing (!). Hardly any online information, brochures, or any public sites discuss the issue!

I could not wash my hair in CS water. My hair would not sink into the water. The only way that I could wash my hair was to fill a sink with heated, distilled water mixed with hydrogen peroxide. That liquid mixture let the water soak into my hair and get it clean.

When you walk around a store or down the street look for what I call the 'helmet head' look. It occurs mostly in girls and women. To me, they appear to have given up on having nice, flowing hair and took to pasting it down close to the scalp and tying it tightly in a ponytail. With city water the way it comes in the pipes without treatment, there is no other option.

The only way that I'd move there is if I could have a submarine-grade water treatment system in my house. Thus, I'd have to be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

Has anyone found information about the hard water in CS? I lived it, so I know it.

thanks
Have not noticed the water to be hard, but then coming from Arizona where water is very hard. And I like hard water for the same reason you dislike it - feel cleaner bathing in hard water. Funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 06:48 AM

4,787 posts, read 4,893,732 times
Default Just the facts

Colorado Springs water is actually fairly soft.

https://www.csu.org/Pages/waterhardness-r.aspx

Perhaps it varies as a function of location within the city. I live in Briargate.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:38 PM

863 posts, read 1,309,860 times
I have never, ever heard of the hair issue. Most of my students with long hair let it "flow" ...maybe that is very localized. I live downtown CSprings.

Interesting.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:20 PM

3,043 posts, read 2,076,221 times
Quote:
I have lived in N. Colorado for over 20 years (yes, actually more), and would choose Fort Collins over Colorado Springs for one reason. The water is better.

I lived just outside CS for 11 months while on a contract gig and found the water in CS to be some of the hardest water I have ever experienced in my life. A bit of background: as a child, my parents traveled all over Oklahoma to visit relatives, so I have stayed in areas where the water was soft (east Okla) and areas where the water was hard (NW Okla). CS has close to the hardest water I have ever experienced.

Funny thing (!). Hardly any online information, brochures, or any public sites discuss the issue!

I could not wash my hair in CS water. My hair would not sink into the water. The only way that I could wash my hair was to fill a sink with heated, distilled water mixed with hydrogen peroxide. That liquid mixture let the water soak into my hair and get it clean.

When you walk around a store or down the street look for what I call the 'helmet head' look. It occurs mostly in girls and women. To me, they appear to have given up on having nice, flowing hair and took to pasting it down close to the scalp and tying it tightly in a ponytail. With city water the way it comes in the pipes without treatment, there is no other option.

The only way that I'd move there is if I could have a submarine-grade water treatment system in my house. Thus, I'd have to be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

Has anyone found information about the hard water in CS? I lived it, so I know it.

thanks

Well, as Vision67 pointsout, Springs Utilities has information about water quality right on their website, to include hardness. They are claiming Cos as slightly to moderately hard and Ftn Valley as hard to very hard. Perhaps since you were outside Cos, this is why. Also found several references from real estate agents as well, so it isn't like its a huge secret. My grandparents did use a basic residential grade softener in their house for several decades with great results. I actually noticed with soft water systems that I felt like I was not getting all the soap off me.

Can't say I've really notice helmet head on women unless they intentionally wear their hair that way.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:54 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,167,471 times
First world problems.

I live in an area with supposedly hard water and it doesn't impact my life negatively in the least. Oh, I have some stains in my tub and need to replace something inside my toilet tank because after many years the hard water corroded it. Oh the humanity.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:39 AM

4,787 posts, read 4,893,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
First world problems.

I live in an area with supposedly hard water and it doesn't impact my life negatively in the least. Oh, I have some stains in my tub and need to replace something inside my toilet tank because after many years the hard water corroded it. Oh the humanity.
Actually, if the water was really hard it would leave deposits on the toilet over time. I think my water is fairly soft because after 25 years, my original toilets still look new.

Perhaps the source of water in northern Colorado Springs is the Rampart reservoir. I think it would be the closest source.

I think water hardness in Colorado Springs is a function of location and specific water source. If you are concerned, have the water analyzed.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:19 AM

5,321 posts, read 7,167,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Actually, if the water was really hard it would leave deposits on the toilet over time. I think my water is fairly soft because after 25 years, my original toilets still look new.

Perhaps the source of water in northern Colorado Springs is the Rampart reservoir. I think it would be the closest source.

I think water hardness in Colorado Springs is a function of location and specific water source. If you are concerned, have the water analyzed.
I am not concerned at all - I was being facetious/sarcastic. Sorry, guess that didn't translate. My water comes from the Pueblo Reservoir currently.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:18 PM

75 posts, read 61,257 times
Quote:

thanks
I would think a soft water filter on your home could fix that.

I currently have super-soft well water and it's hard to get clean with that, too, it just rolls off your hair and body.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 PM

75 posts, read 61,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Have not noticed the water to be hard, but then coming from Arizona where water is very hard. And I like hard water for the same reason you dislike it - feel cleaner bathing in hard water. Funny.
I don't know what they guy was talking about.

I have very soft well water and it's hard to get clean, or even wash your hands!

Hard water is better for cleaning, but soft water is definitely nice on the skin in a certain way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or