U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,671 times

Advertisements

Wow! Thanks for all the info!

I've had quite a few people recommend Boulder to me, which is reassuring because it seems to be a place that most would agree is fitting for me and my situation/interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:17 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,616,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post

Hardly. It may have more crime than the rest of Colorado Springs, but that's like saying you're the meanest dude in all of Mayberry.

Best is subjective. If the OP is from eastern Oregon, then yes, it will feel very familiar. If from western Oregon, they will fry. Pueblo is fighting a gang problem currently, but does have some very nice neighborhoods and a reasonable cost of living. They do have the highest unemployment rate in the state though at 6.1 so you would probably need an internal transfer to land a job there.
Colorado Springs is only a Mayberry to those who stay in neighborhoods like Erindale, Peregrine, Rockrimmon or Broadmoor.

Colorado Springs has lots and lots of dumpy neighborhoods. The southeast side of Colorado Springs is a bunch of dumpy 1960s apartment complexes and the area just east of Memorial Hospital is a total dump also.

I would say the best areas to rent with a modest budget would be North Academy between Austin Bluffs and Woodmen, North Chesnut Street near UCCS.

Those areas are decent, lots of retail, lots of trails and fairly inexpensive.

They have a row of apartment complexes near LeLaray street and Circle that are in a decent neighborhood, dont know of the condition of apartments but they are some of the most affordable in the city.

The Citadel area is a dump also. The mall has been in decline because people do want to be in that area of town.

The only city in Colorado that I would consider mayberry is Fort Collins. Boulder is a near utopian city that is expensive but Longmont is similar in price to Colorado Springs and is a hop, skip and jump from the 25 square miles of utopia that is Boulder.

Another thing about cities like Boulder and Fort Collins is they are full of single people in their 20s who love the outdoors. They are perfect college towns for those in their 20s.

Lots of people in Boulder and Fort Collins who don't make much have roomies or rent rooms in homes. Possibly CSU or CU might have a list of landlords who rent rooms in private homes.

Colorado Springs other then the outdoors has nothing going for it for people beneath retirement age or close to it. A majority of the people who stay in Colorado Springs who are in their 20s are living with family or married with multiple kids already.

Pueblo basically is the Compton of Colorado. They have major, major gang issues and they have no resources as it is a poverty ridden city that is isolated in the middle of nowhere.

Very few people move to Pueblo and the city is very cliquish.

The only thing Pueblo has for it is that it has lots of very warm winter days compared to other cities on the front range and they get very little snow in the winter.

Pueblo can have high temperatures in the 80s in January when the front range has a strong downslope wind event and usually it gets a trace of snow when Denver gets a foot.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-17-2016 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 09:47 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandybaird View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the info!

I've had quite a few people recommend Boulder to me, which is reassuring because it seems to be a place that most would agree is fitting for me and my situation/interests.
Sure. Where are you coming here from? It helps us dial in comparison and expectations.

Boulder would probably be great. Only problem with that is price. Expect a room rental to run $650-1300 a month. A whole apartment will be $1200-2000. Expect to pay first, last, and a 3rd month for pet deposit, possibly non-refundable, if they even allow it.

20 years ago, most grocery workers I knew were in roommate situations due to union limitations about hours they could work, dues, and pay scales. I can't imagine what that situation is like now that rents have sky-rocketed.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Colorado Springs is only a Mayberry to those who stay in neighborhoods like Erindale, Peregrine, Rockrimmon or Broadmoor.

Colorado Springs has lots and lots of dumpy neighborhoods. The southeast side of Colorado Springs is a bunch of dumpy 1960s apartment complexes and the area just east of Memorial Hospital is a total dump also.

The Citadel area is a dump also. The mall has been in decline because people do want to be in that area of town.
Thank you for proving my point.

While your thought that 80910 is the most dangerous zip code in the state is an interesting opinion, it is far from fact. I'm surprised you overlook this since you normally like throwing up links to government studies supporting you assessments.

You also are espousing the same conceited, arrogant, egalitarianism you complain about in so many other places of the Colo forums. Your opinion of a dump may differ from others. We have no idea of the origins or current situation of the OP. For all we know, she is moving here from a crack infested, single wide trailer park in the high desert of eastern Oregon that is downstream from the Hanford nuclear site. The OP has already made multiple visits to Pueblo and Cos and liked it.

The juxtaposition of living in Colorado is that the most and best jobs are along the more urban front range areas. This also means that your immediate access to mountain activities gets somewhat limited. Like Denver, Pueblo is a bit further removed from the mountains than is Cos, Ft Collins, and Boulder. However most front range cities offer numerous parks, trails, and close by access to recreational areas. Quick access to an area to walk with your dog and meet others in your age bracket are not too difficult anywhere along the front range.

While Boulder is a great place, it is a very expensive place to live, especially for a 20 something transplant working in retail. Ft Collins, Colo Spgs, or even Pueblo may be the better choices, all with different +/- aspects to their areas. All three areas are offering 13-15% of their total populations in the 20-25 year old range. In that regard, Cos may be the best choice since it will offer a greater total number in that age bracket since its base population is 450k, compared to Ft Collins 150k and Pueblos 110k. However, like I said, only the OP can define what is too large or just right size wise for population and what she is comfortable with.

Ft Collins and COs have their own sub-forums here, I'd certainly recommend doing some reading in those. All three have their own chamber of commerce web sites, check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado