U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:29 AM

397 posts, read 588,824 times

Advertisements

Florida has black bear and jaguar too. I wouldn't be as concerned about the risk of wildlife here. I'd worry more about getting hit by a drunk (or high as a kite) driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:46 PM

31 posts, read 20,497 times
Default People! They're the Worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I wouldn't worry much about the wildlife. They mostly avoid you.

But those stupid humans....
Agreed on this one love the wildlife our cabin in semi remote Park County chance of any and all wildlife they go with the territory

Old 06-30-2016, 08:59 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,804,931 times
Used to live near Castlewood Canyon, and our across the street neighbor once encountered a mountain lion in his backyard when he let the dog out late at night. He said hearing that mountain lion scream took ten years off his life! I never once saw one nor did I see a bear, but they're definitely around. Rattlesnakes were common. You just just learned to watch where you put your hands and feet.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 AM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
The last time I saw a live, wild mountain lion in the flesh was the late 80s or early 90s - in a town 200 miles northwest of Denver. My parents' house backs up to a park. At one end of the park two mountain lion kittens were playing with each other while mama lion stood sentry 100-150 yards away.

I've seen more porcupine (2) than bears (0) (accidentally ran over one of them during a snowstorm - that was fun).

Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,242,283 times
Some perspective:

Fatal mountain lion attacks in Colorado in the last 15 years: 0
Fatal bear attacks in Colorado in the last 15 years: 1

Traffic fatalities in Colorado in the last 15 years: 7,862

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America
https://www.codot.gov/library/traffi...rson-type/view

Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,835,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Some perspective:

Fatal mountain lion attacks in Colorado in the last 15 years: 0
Fatal bear attacks in Colorado in the last 15 years: 1

Traffic fatalities in Colorado in the last 15 years: 7,862

https://www.codot.gov/library/traffi...rson-type/view
Very few people in the back county, but everyone drives a car.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:20 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Those numbers are true, but a mtn lion snagging a dog or child tends to be much more sensational news material. We have recently had a child attacked by a lion and it is not uncommon for cats and dogs to disappear to lion activity. Use a little bit of sense in the high country or if you live on the fringe of urban areas and you won't have any problems.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:50 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,242,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Very few people in the back county, but everyone drives a car.
You should know better than to think that mountain lions are limited to 'the backcountry'. Well over a million people in Colorado live in the normal range of mountain lions. Rocky Mountain National Park draws over 3 million visitors per year. Maroon Bells-Snowmass, Collegiate Peaks, Weminuche are just a few of the state's wildernesses that are permitted because of heavy use. So the idea that there are 'very few people' where the mountain lions regularly are is completely wrong.

And even beyond their typical range, the animals are regularly sighted in Denver and other cities along the Front Range.

The point remains - drive to a trailhead and go for a hike and you're far more likely to be killed going to or fro on the highway than you are by a beast in the woods. The statistics prove this beyond any reasonable dispute.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 9,450 times
Thank you all so much! Seriously helpful! I get a bit paranoid at times and this makes me feel better!

Old 07-04-2016, 05:58 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,835,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You should know better than to think that mountain lions are limited to 'the backcountry'. Well over a million people in Colorado live in the normal range of mountain lions. Rocky Mountain National Park draws over 3 million visitors per year. Maroon Bells-Snowmass, Collegiate Peaks, Weminuche are just a few of the state's wildernesses that are permitted because of heavy use. So the idea that there are 'very few people' where the mountain lions regularly are is completely wrong.

And even beyond their typical range, the animals are regularly sighted in Denver and other cities along the Front Range.

The point remains - drive to a trailhead and go for a hike and you're far more likely to be killed going to or fro on the highway than you are by a beast in the woods. The statistics prove this beyond any reasonable dispute.
The percentage of people in Colorado who drive cars is astronomically larger than those who are in a position to be attacked by a four legged foe. You're comparing apples to oranges. Or do you spend all your time in Cougar bars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado