U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:08 PM

15,610 posts, read 6,163,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Colorado Dept of Wildlife (CDOW) estimates the Mountain Lion population in the state to be 3500-4500 lions. Approximately 57% of the state is suitable mountain lion habitat. Accurate counts are hard to get so this is an estimate only.

Florida's estimated alligator population on the other hand is estimated at 1.25 million!

Which do you think you're more likely to see?

I don't know how they're making their estimates of suitable habitat. At one time mountain lions ranged on the plains, as did grizzlies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 06:58 AM

3,049 posts, read 2,077,790 times
They still do. My Bro lives north-east of Peyton Co, which is smack dab in the middle of El Paso County. They live in a valley surrounded by low bluffs and have seen cats on their property.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:54 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,926,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
I have always been told that if you have deer, you also have mountain lions, even if you don't see them.
This^

Mountain Lions are stockers, they hide and stock their prey. I have seen them a few times, all at dusk. Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about them much unless you have kids or small animals. Keep a close eye on kids when outside. Black bears come across as shy, curious, and easy to scare but they can be dangerous. I was able to scare one off by yelling at it as it tried crawling through our kitchen window. Unless you're hunting, you actually want to make a lot of noise which helps scares them off. Also, make sure your trash is kept up! Both animals don't like messing with larger animals, so stand tall. Mountain lions will try to take you down, you must stay on your feet as much as possible and fight back. Their only 90-180lbs, punch them in the face a few times. Bears is the opposite, don't fight back and play dead...but don;'t play dead too soon! Both animals will try for your neck, so keep it protected.

In all the excitement, I forgot to hit record on my phone when the black bear tried crawling through out kitchen window. But I got him wondering off with a go pro.

https://youtu.be/0JRnCdba2s8

This is not my video of this mountain lion but it was taken from our laundry room.

https://youtu.be/Vnmxg4h_Mio

Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,834,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Bears is the opposite, don't fight back and play dead...but don;'t play dead too soon!
This is not the correct thing to do with a BLACK bear.

With a black bear you fight back. With a grizzly bear, you play dead.

Quote:
Myth #15: Play dead during an attack.

Fact: Playing dead will work if you’re being attacked by a mother grizzly defending her cubs. But it is the wrong thing to do if you’re being attacked by a predatory bear. If a bear attacks (particularly a black bear) in an offensive manner and physical contact is made, fight for your life. Kick, punch, hit the bear with rocks or sticks or any improvised weapon you can find. A predatory bear usually stalks its prey and attacks from behind. It is often silent and the bear does not exhibit any defensive behaviors like huffing or slapping the ground. Its ears may be laid back and its head held low, with its intent focused directly on you. See our Play section for more information.
Dispelling Myths About Bears - BearSmart.com

Old 07-08-2016, 04:26 PM

124 posts, read 139,722 times
Default bears

Originally Posted by DurangoJoe
Colorado Dept of Wildlife (CDOW) estimates the Mountain Lion population in the state to be 3500-4500 lions. Approximately 57% of the state is suitable mountain lion habitat. Accurate counts are hard to get so this is an estimate only.

Florida's estimated alligator population on the other hand is estimated at 1.25 million!

Which do you think you're more likely to see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know how they're making their estimates of suitable habitat. At one time mountain lions ranged on the plains, as did grizzlies.

Be careful around Mosca, Co. in the San Luis Valley. Gators were imported in 1987.
Google "Colorado Gators Reptile Park"

Old 07-13-2016, 12:29 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,527,350 times
If you live next to open habitat get a trail cam and set it up. You might be surprised what comes by.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
This is not the correct thing to do with a BLACK bear.

With a black bear you fight back. With a grizzly bear, you play dead.

Dispelling Myths About Bears - BearSmart.com
Interesting.

Myth #12 Because black bears can tree their cubs, it is rare for them to attack a person in defence of cubs.

This does't say they don't, just that it's not common. A lady recently was attacked by a black bear running a marathon. She mentions in her account of the event that the cub was about 30ft up in a tree.

Myth #15 Playing dead will work if you’re being attacked by a mother grizzly defending her cubs. But it is the wrong thing to do if you’re being attacked by a predatory bear. If a bear attacks (particularly a black bear) in an offensive manner and physical contact is made, fight for your life. Kick, punch, hit the bear with rocks or sticks or any improvised weapon you can find.

Keyword here is "Predatory," This Myth talks a lot about Predatory bears. Predatory means the animal is hunting you with the intention of eating you! So playing dead with any PREDATORY BEAR, BLACK OR BROWN, is the absolute worst thing you can do! It's saying, if you're are attacked by a PREDATORY BEAR, BLACK OR BROWN, FIGHT, FIGHT, & FIGHT! It only imfensized black bears because lets face it, if you're going to survive a fist fight with a bear, you're going to have better luck with a Black bear.

Now with that said, I would head conventional wisdom with Grizzlys under non predatory situations.

Anyhow, the above mentioned lady played dead during the attack with the black momma bear. The bear walked off and the lady is alive today.

Game and Fish: Woman attacked by bear near Los Alamos | KRQE News 13

Old 07-15-2016, 07:38 AM

15,610 posts, read 6,163,298 times
Bear destroys inside of car after getting trapped inside

Watch: Bear stuck in Subaru destroys the interior before being freed - Alaska Dispatch News

Old 07-15-2016, 10:33 AM

Black bears seem to be very curious and able to open doors...both homes and cars. We had one open the door on our storage room connected to the house the other night. It doesn't have a thru interior door but it does have a connecting window. The lights are contacted to a motion sensor. As soon as the the door opened, the light came on and I guess this scared it off because it took off after that.

So ya, keep your doors (car and home) and windows locked...we had one try climbing through our kitchen window that was cracked open.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 AM

5,311 posts, read 2,757,146 times
And don't keep food in the car. Aside from having keen sense of smell, bears have been thought to recognize one brand from another by seeing the packaging!

This was discovered at Big Bend NP, where it turned out the bears preferred FritoLay products. Given that maximizing fat gain is a bear's goal, it makes me think twice about buying that brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado