U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 14,732 times

Advertisements

Hello
We are planning to relocate to Grand Junction, CO. (And just to stop all that right now, no not because of pot, we don't smoke, lol.)
Can y'all tell me a little more about this location please? We always dreamed of retiring to Colorado once we were old but figured why not already move there. Nothing is stopping us.
My husband is retired military, so as long as a VA hospital is around he is all good to go, and I have my own home daycare.
So, how about the good old weather?! lol
Do you get a lot of snow there? Is it humid a lot and rains a lot?
What about the soil? Can one grow its own veggies in the ground?
And also, how are the people? I like friendly, old time like towns. The let me grab a milkshake and run into my neighbors and chat for a bit type of people lol.
Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 11:56 AM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
I am assuming you've never been to GJ?

It's very nice. It's small, but not too small. It's the high desert. It is very dry, so no humidity and quite brown (no lush greenery) compared to many places. The closest major city is 4 hours away if that's a concern.

"Grand Junction receives little precipitation year-round, averaging 9.42 inches (239.3 mm), with no real seasonal spike. Sunshine hours are abundant, even in winter, and total just over 3200 hours per year, or 73% of the possible total." -Wiki

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-21-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 12:16 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,304,927 times
Grand Junction is dry, doesn't get much snow in the winter. 19" maximum snow amount per year, which is usually less. January gets the most snow, roughly 6", and stops in April. June-August are the hottest months ranging from 88 F to 93 F.

Have you checked out Prescott Valley and Prescott in Arizona? The weather there is similar and receives less snow in the winter. Population of both cities are 40k, it's similar to Grand Junction. It also have a VA hospital. 2 hour drive to Phoenix, 1 hour drive to Flagstaff compared to 4 hour drive to Denver. I suggest asking questions on the forum there, compare the two areas and decide yourself.

There's a local restaurant down there that has burgers, milkshakes and that sort of thing.

http://brownbagburger.us/

Northern AZ, Prescott VA hospital

http://www.prescott.va.gov/

Old 06-21-2016, 12:27 PM

330 posts, read 346,477 times
Info on daycare licensing in Colorado: Colorado Office of Early Childhood

Old 06-21-2016, 03:02 PM

15 posts, read 14,732 times
Thank you for all that info

Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
There have already been Grand Junction discussions here. Do you know how to do a forum search?

Old 06-21-2016, 03:20 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeMeUs View Post
Hello
We are planning to relocate to Grand Junction, CO. (And just to stop all that right now, no not because of pot, we don't smoke, lol.)
Can y'all tell me a little more about this location please? We always dreamed of retiring to Colorado once we were old but figured why not already move there. Nothing is stopping us.
My husband is retired military, so as long as a VA hospital is around he is all good to go, and I have my own home daycare. Grand Junction's VA Hospital is on 23rd and North. There has been a lot of remodeling and expansion done to it in the last few years, including double deck parking on the south side parking lot. They are a good facility overall..For some of the more specialized procedures the vets go to the one in Salt Lake City, a 4 hour drive from GJ. My best friend has several health issues and he is always happy with the care he gets-always!

So, how about the good old weather?! lol Temps all this week are 98 to 103. Warmer than front range cities but a little colder in the winter. Sadly not as much rain as I'd like to see. This is a desert environment, Mesa County is.

Do you get a lot of snow there? Is it humid a lot and rains a lot? Mesa County gets usually 4 to 5 snows a season, usually no more than 3 inches per storm. Now that's IN TOWN, the surrounding mountains get a lot, thankfully. The monsoon season which starts in late July is where the rain and humidity kick in. The monsoon rains, yep, can really come down south of town and especially in the high country, at times those systems run out of steam by the time they get further north.

What about the soil? Can one grow its own veggies in the ground? Fruit trees are all over the Grand Valley, the growing season is longer than the Front Range towns and cities, by far. The leaves stay on the trees through mid to late November for the most part. Google in "Palisade Peach Festival." for more on that subject There are Farmers Markets in different parts of the area!

And also, how are the people? I like friendly, old time like towns. The let me grab a milkshake and run into my neighbors and chat for a bit type of people lol. Until the early 1970's Mesa County was known as strictly agricultural, then shale oil entered the picture in the 1970's. After Exxon's pullout and closure of operations in May of 1982, double digit unemployment hung over this area like a weather inversion for over a decade. Lots of out of state retirees (lots meaning thousands) took advantage of the cheap real estate prices and relocated here.
Thank you for any help.
If you come out for a little look-see, an extended stay hotel has been built for the energy workers. With the layoffs that the industry has had, IMO that would be a good choice in regards to temp housing while scouting around the area. It's called Value Place just south of Interstate 70 off 24 Rd.

Good luck!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-21-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 03:24 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
There have already been Grand Junction discussions here. Do you know how to do a forum search?
At the top of the page you have a "search forums" box. Type in Grand Junction, lots of threads for info there.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:37 AM

56 posts, read 51,747 times
Weather?-I shoveled my driveway I think 1 time last winter. It's very hot here this week-thermometer in my truck said 106 yesterday. Usually a few days over 100 every summer, but looks like were going to get a few more than normal this year. The summer heat is probably what will drive me to retire elsewhere, but lots of people like it.

I've been here 22 years, and although there are plenty of activities, I have found it very difficult to make friends here. Your mileage may vary.

Regarding the gardening-the soil here won't grow much of anything (except bindweed) but it is easily amended and lots of people have very good vegetable gardens. I grow a few tomatoes & cucumbers, and my retired neighbor provides a constant flow of zucchini and green beans in the summer months. Id you have not tried Olathe sweet corn you are in for a real treat.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:48 PM

36 posts, read 35,931 times
I love GJ, but I still suggest visiting first before moving there just in case. Oh, and the west slope is pretty different from the Denver area, but in good ways imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or