U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 910 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my first post here after reading threads on here for years. Still kind of confused on if I'm posting in the right section or not, but I'm just getting out of the military, and am looking to move to Colorado from Texas. I'm big on the outdoors, (fishing, hunting, hiking) I'm a 24 year old single male, and love the mountains and elevation and "mountain town" kind of lifestyle. But not so small that you have to work several jobs to barely support yourself. I've been to Colorado once, Durango, which I loved, then Pagosa Springs, which I also loved. The scenery with the pine trees, and lakes made me fall in love with it. It was absolutely gorgeous. Went more east for about two hours on the highway toward Pueblo/ Coloarado Springs and became very rurual, (which I am not against) but very "locals only." But with that being said, I don't want to live in too small of a town where there is no room for growth and the commute to the nearest grocery store and any job is an hour away. Been kind of steered away by the whole influx of pot movement and Californication that I've heard and read about that's been going on within the state. I should say certain areas when it comes to that, but it seems like the house prices are on the rise statewide. My area of work is fish and game/forest ranger. So you don't get a whole lot of areas to choose from, being a state job. So here I am. Every forum and search I've done leads me to forums that either don't make sense or go way off topic lol so please don't sit here and try and bash me or anything. I really appreciate any input or advice. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 09:18 AM

330 posts, read 346,691 times
So, I worked my way through your post, trying to understand what you mean by "best place to live outdoors in Colorado."

My answer: it will be the place where you get the state job you mentioned as a forest ranger or similar job with Colorado Parks & Wildlife.

I assume you are pursuing job opportunities with CPW.

You've put your finger on one very real issue: nice outdoorsy lovely mountain towns with cost of living that's tough for working people to meet, and a long way from grocery stores and other necessary services.

I'm not sure what discussions on these forums struck you as nonsensical or off topic. I've read threads discussing the eternal Colorado quandary of "small mountain town vs. high COL and inconveniences of being, well, a small town in the mountains." IIRC there's always some rantings, silliness, etc., but generally people try to be helpful and factual.

It sounds like you are just beginning to get your life figured out as you leave the military. I'm not bashing you, just saying you're going to sort it out and I see your post here as a first step. The only stupid questions are the ones you have but don't ask. Maybe you're not focused on getting a state job but that's what I got from your first post. If I'm wrong, perhaps you can clarify your thinking for us which could help people who reply to you.

Good luck!

EDITED to add: Are you considering jobs with the United States Forest Service? Obviously they're not limited to CO but strikes me as something for an outdoorsy person to consider.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:48 AM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Finding the job first is good advice. With CPW, the opportunities outside Montrose (Crawford, Paonia), Durango (Mancos) and Steamboat Springs (Steamboat and Stagecoach Lakes) may give you the blend of work, country and town that you seek. Same with Forest Service (these cities and Bayfield, Pagosa Springs, Dolores, Meeker, maybe Gunnison). Montrose and Cortez will have National Park jobs too. Some forest / park jobs in and near Salida as well. I dunno how competitive these stations are (likely competitive or very competitive) so you might need to apply to other ones (more rural or around Denver) to get into system then try to move to a more preferred location when you have the reputation to win it. Dig in and good luck.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-26-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 11:19 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,131,702 times
Have you checked out the Aspen area? Our family lived there for years, and loved it! 👍🏽

Old 06-26-2016, 08:49 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Have you checked out the Aspen area? Our family lived there for years, and loved it! 👍🏽
Lol. OP said rising housing costs in Colorado were a concern. Leads me to believe he probably doesn't have $1M for a 1BR condo in Aspen.

OP, I think searching for jobs first as stated above is the right move. Then worry about housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or