U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 2,589 times

Advertisements

So we've been in Denver (near Wash Park) for about a decade. We really like it. We moved here for my spouse's career. She works in south Denver at her absolute dream job. I work downtown at my OK-but-less-than-dream job -- very good pay, but zero job security (if business gets slow, I'd be fired within a couple of months), and 10-11 hour days, plus a half day most weekends. We have multiple kids, all school age. My spouse's job is such that she can usually provide after-school and summer care.

Anyway, I'm well into the interview process for a new job. It's not my dream job, but it's better than my current one -- interesting, much better hours and job security, decent pay (less than I currently make, but enough), and lots of opportunity for significant future advancement. Only problem is that it's in Colorado Springs.

If I were to get the job, what would everyone recommend re: commuting options. The way I see it, we could do the following:

1.) Suck it up and I commute. Stay in a hotel the handful of days a year where the weather makes Monument Hill impassable.

2.) Mostly stay in Denver, but get an apartment in Colorado Springs to spend a couple of nights a week, plus the family could move down for summers and winter break (when they're off but I'm not).

3.) Split the difference, likely Castle Rock or Monument. If we did this, we'd probably rent out our house in Denver because (a) we like it and (b) there is a possibility I could transfer back to Denver in a couple of years (the prospective employer has offices in both, but the current opening is in the Springs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 02:31 PM

5,323 posts, read 7,172,509 times
I would suggest option 1 for a few months at least to make sure the job will stick. If your kids love their schools and you can afford it, 2 is a decent option, but it doesn't make a lot of sense financially to have two residences. If moving schools is a good option, 3 makes the most sense in the long run if you will stay in the Springs location given that both you and your spouse have jobs in the two different locations and you wouldn't be shelling out a second rent.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Believe it or not, Cos rents are increasing at a greater percentage than Denver's. In gross dollars they will be less, but they are not far behind. I couldn't see it being cost effective, especially since the potential job pays less, to have a second residence. Not to mention the fact that renting a place big enough for the family to hang out in weekends and summer, means your rental prices will take a big jump up into Denver territory.

I'd say do #1. Lower downside risk if the job is a bust and you'll save more over time. A hotel a few nights a year is nothing compared to rent and leases.

Gotta admit, this is a funny twist on employment where so many in the Cos market complain that they have to go to Denver to find jobs.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:02 PM

5 posts, read 2,589 times
Yeah, from what I understand, at least the commute would be a reverse one.

(Many years ago, I was living in the middle of Big City, USA, but working in the boonies where there wasn't much else. My 30 mile commute took less time -- about 30 minutes -- than my spouse's, and she only had to go about three miles, though that meant the subway with a half mile walk to get on and then another one to get to her office.)

Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
Isn't there an express bus from Denver to Colorado Springs? Bustang? I know nothing about it, and it might not fit your specific locations, but maybe it's worth checking out.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
I used to do some work in Cripple Creek and commuted down there from Wash Park through COS. Not horrible to the Springs. Definitely hit some traffic in the Tech Center if I wasn't on the road early enough. You should make the drive during regular work hours and see if it's something you think you can live with long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or