U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 12:41 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic_528 View Post
Can somebody tell me how the cost of living in one of these areas compares with that of Bay Area, California? I have checked COL comparison websites. Most of them tell me that for every $50,000 that I earn here in Bay Area, I need about $35,000 in the CO cities to maintain the same standard of living. Is that accurate? If we ignore the difference in housing prices for a moment, is there much difference in cost for everything else? Or is it almost the same? I don't buy a lot of stuff outside of the daily necessities. The reason I am asking is because if I end up moving, my salary will probably be cut by 10% to 15%. The state tax is almost the same. So I am trying to understand how much lower the cost of living is actually going to be (if at all) and if it could make up for the lower salary.
I live in Boulder, but almost moved to SV three years ago. I did extensive research on COL and once you remove the cost of housing both places are very similar. Eating out is more in the bay area but groceries are less for example.

fwiw, I would look at Boulder first. I know the housing is expensive, but it checks off all your other boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 01:59 PM

811 posts, read 1,223,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic_528 View Post
What I am looking for:
~ A place that is not too crowded and preferably has a smaller town feel and some good views.
~ Open minded, educated, nice and friendly people. Some diversity will be good.
~ Reasonable house prices (would like to buy a house).
~ A not too bad dating scene (don't care about race).
Others have made excellent points which I won't repeat. If you do end up making the move, I can vouch that Colorado Springs (COS) checks many of your "boxes" as well, despite the conservative stereotype. At around 600K population, it is 2-3x the population of greater Boulder and roughly 5-6x less population than greater Denver. If you live central or westside of COS, the vibe is very much smaller town. I'm going to estimate 80% here are "nice and friendly" and let's go with a conservative (no pun intended) 40% "open minded." That means about 250K friendly, open-minded folks running around COS, many of whom are concentrated in certain parts of town (again, central and west) which by my math is more "friendly, open minded" people than the entire greater Boulder population. And houses cost roughly half of what they go for in Boulder so it's not such a bad value proposition at all, given the proximity to natural space is basically equal. I've been here in Colorado since the mid-90's after a childhood and UC undergrad/grad education in coastal CA and while nothing is entirely perfect it's a great alternative to the nonsense of $1,400 sq./ft housing costs. Might take a bit to get acclimated but that's true of anything.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:03 PM

955 posts, read 514,525 times
If you are looking at Wyoming I would recommend Laramie before Cheyenne. The college lends a bit more diversity and culture plus it's just a generally more attractive town IMHO

Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Being single, Indian, engineer, who survived Bay Area, likes natural beauty and interested in a potentail dating scene, and is keen on a no tax state with reasonable CoL. Look to Washington State. (I emigrated there from CO 30+ yrs ago, and have survived), Colorado might be better for you to visit than to live. I go often, sometimes for $29 airfare.

I like living in western Columbia Gorge (20 min to PDX, where you can get many flights/day to CA (or CO))
Natural beauty is not bad...https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...w=1024&bih=672

Skiing, beach, volcano, all within an hour, usually minimal traffic. Seattle, Bend, OR & central WA 3 hrs. Easy commute to Seattle or Sacramento / Bay Area via train or $39 - $59 airfare.

Many Indian nationals in Camas, WA area. Also in Oregon, near Intel (40 min from Camas)

Bellingham / Fairhaven would be another WA option, due to very close proximity to Vancouver BC. Very beautiful coastal city on Puget Sound, with Canada and San Juans a short distance away, anf good skiing in WA and BC.

I would not risk WY, but Laramie (UW) is much better than Cheyenne for your desires. People in WY are great, but very few asian Indians, or any other international race.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 PM

28 posts, read 65,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Being single, Indian, engineer, who survived Bay Area, likes natural beauty and interested in a potentail dating scene, and is keen on a no tax state with reasonable CoL. Look to Washington State.

I would not risk WY, but Laramie (UW) is much better than Cheyenne for your desires. People in WY are great, but very few asian Indians, or any other international race.
Thanks. Yes, I have been looking into WA also, although it's not my first choice at this moment. While I like the natural beauty and the fact that it has no state income tax, the problem with WA is that it is not very business friendly (business owners pay 1% of the revenue as tax, even if they lose money on balance sheet). As I mentioned in my post, I might be looking into opening some kind of business, so I am considering from these angles too. In the end, it may be a wash (considering all the taxes) but for now I am leaning more towards CO.

About WY (Laramie or Cheyenne) --- is the scenery vastly different from CO? I have always been intrigued by WY (never visited there) plus no state tax, but I will admit that the idea of living there seems a bit daunting even to me, lol (just the thought of it, in reality it could well turn out be a great experience, I just don't know never having visited there).

Last edited by supersonic_528; 07-20-2016 at 11:26 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 06:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
WY has more extremes of beauty, and A LOT of barrenness.

Laramie is close to Snowy Range and Vedauwoo, but FAR from Tetons, Big Horns, Yellowstone. Weather can be brutal, but people are genuine and very helpful.

ID is another decent option for a business friendly state. Sandpoint and Hayden are pretty nice, close to Spokane and sales tax free MT.

If you are into IT business with low capital equipment, then WA would be business friendly enough. You can live near OR and have culture + sales tax free. Access to a progressive IT culture and industry + large population centers, coast, mtns, prairie, LOTS of water (future gold), and quick escapes to Canada.

Colorado has quite fair taxes that are spread across sectors. If your Colorado based business would have enough clients and access, it would be a good choice. Just be advised that Colorado is changing a lot, and has financial and society issues. It is not nirvana, but many who seek to move there expect much more than they will get. (Recreation, freedom, peace and quiet, pleasure) It is a popular state with 140 yrs of growing pains.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:42 PM

22 posts, read 73,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I edited the original post to focus in on areas of special note, and/or might be an issue for you.

Many have visited CO and had dreams of living here. That's extremely easy to do. BUT, that doesn't mean it always equates into a good match and a wise relocation. Some have regretted the very different feeling that arrives after the "honeymoon" wears off.

I'd heavily advise against Fort Collins based your notes. It's very narrow and limited, both racially/diversely, and in mindset. I've found more discrimination in that town, even being outwardly just another white person. People are put quite heavily under the microscope, though hidden under smiles and fake friendliness. I know that's strong, but I'm not going to mince words any more.

Longmont was mentioned, but that is quite similar, though a little less snooty. Better still might be Colorado Springs. I wouldn't worry about the conservative stuff there. Many who live there don't fit that mode either, and do fine. Don't forget weather differences though, and that you'd be giving up the beauty and moderate temps. of the gorgeous Silicon Valley area for a very dry region, with widely varying temps and long winters. You'll never see the deep and varying greens here that you do there.

I've found people here to be less open-minded than the more diverse states, including CA. Sure, there is a strong impression among residents of being very open-minded, but I've found it quite lacking in actuality. There's a difference between true friendliness and niceness, and forced due to "that's what we do here". I prefer reality, no matter what. People here are drawn to the fun and outwardly folks that look and breath the "all things Colorado" image. The more one diverges from that, the more difficult it can be. Keep in mind too that many in CO can't stand CA, and will always have a dislike of transplants from there, even if they try to hide it.

Keep in mind that natives and long-time Coloradans will see the state differently than those from other areas. Coming fresh from a different region, you will see and notice things that long-timers won't see or mention. Look for comments from others who have done that move (CA->CO) for more relevant and personal data.

Bottom line though, instead of assuming CO is the place to be and then finding a location to move to, you should first make sure the state truly makes sense (beyond the daydreaming), and that there aren't better matches elsewhere. Many seem to skip over that first important point. No one will be able to answer that but you.

Good luck!
Just happened to see this and want to thank you so much for your intelligent insights. As someone who has long dreamed of moving to Colorado, I needed to hear this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or