U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:25 AM

28 posts, read 65,875 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am thinking of moving to Colorado. I visited once a few years ago (Denver/Boulder area) and loved it, and it has always been my dream to live in Colorado, mainly because of the natural beauty. Here are a few facts about me.
~ Single Indian (Asian) male in my late 30s.
~ I am an engineer working in high tech. Currently I live in CA (Silicon Valley area), but my boss said he is OK with me working remotely. So, being single, I thought why not use this opportunity to make the move.
~ I am a very friendly and nice person, but I am a bit shy, so I would rarely approach people to start a conversation.
~ I like to read, work out and enjoy the outdoors.

What I am looking for:
~ A place that is not too crowded and preferably has a smaller town feel and some good views.
~ Open minded, educated, nice and friendly people. Some diversity will be good.
~ Reasonable house prices (would like to buy a house).
~ A not too bad dating scene (don't care about race).

From what I have read, Ft Collins would probably be the closest to what I am looking for. But house prices are quite expensive at the moment. The other option I came across is Colorado Springs. It's a bit bigger, much cheaper houses but also seem pretty conservative. Just to be clear, I am not political, nor am I religious. I just want to be around nice and open minded people.

So which one of these cities would be a good fit for me considering all the above factors? Or maybe some other place (Denver, Boulder, etc.)? I am totally OK with living within a 20 min driving distance from a big city, if that provides more quietness and better house prices. So please feel free to suggest any suburb or satellite town as well.

The other factor to consider is that I might eventually buy a rental property. Another option is opening a small business (for example, frozen yogurt shop). Which city between FC and CS (or some other) is a better choice for this? FC seems rather small, so I got the feeling that CS might be better for rentals/business?

Waiting to hear your opinions. Thank you!

PS: And btw, for a while I was thinking about Cheyenne, WY too, mainly because it doesn't have state tax. But not sure if it will be a good fit for my preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 10:01 AM

20 posts, read 19,316 times
Based on what you are saying, I bet that Boulder would be a very good fit for you. However, real estate prices are very expensive there (though not when compared to Silicon Valley -- it's all relative). If you can't afford Boulder, you might want to check out Longmont, which is about 20 minutes to the northeast. As more Boulderites are priced out of Boulder, Longmont is starting to get cool. You could also look into Golden, on the west side of Denver. Combines a smaller town vibe with easy access to Denver. Also not cheap, but less than Boulder.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic_528 View Post
Hi all,
I am thinking of moving to Colorado. I visited once a few years ago (Denver/Boulder area) and loved it, and it has always been my dream to live in Colorado. Here are a few facts about me.
~ Single Indian (Asian) male in my late 30s.
~ I am a very friendly and nice person, but I am a bit shy, so I would rarely approach people to start a conversation.

What I am looking for:
~ Open minded... people. Some diversity will be good.
~ A not too bad dating scene (don't care about race).

From what I have read, Ft Collins would probably be the closest to what I am looking for. But house prices are quite expensive at the moment. The other option I came across is Colorado Springs. It's a bit bigger, much cheaper houses but also seem pretty conservative. I just want to be around nice and open minded people.
I edited the original post to focus in on areas of special note, and/or might be an issue for you.

Many have visited CO and had dreams of living here. That's extremely easy to do. BUT, that doesn't mean it always equates into a good match and a wise relocation. Some have regretted the very different feeling that arrives after the "honeymoon" wears off.

I'd heavily advise against Fort Collins based your notes. It's very narrow and limited, both racially/diversely, and in mindset. I've found more discrimination in that town, even being outwardly just another white person. People are put quite heavily under the microscope, though hidden under smiles and fake friendliness. I know that's strong, but I'm not going to mince words any more.

Longmont was mentioned, but that is quite similar, though a little less snooty. Better still might be Colorado Springs. I wouldn't worry about the conservative stuff there. Many who live there don't fit that mode either, and do fine. Don't forget weather differences though, and that you'd be giving up the beauty and moderate temps. of the gorgeous Silicon Valley area for a very dry region, with widely varying temps and long winters. You'll never see the deep and varying greens here that you do there.

I've found people here to be less open-minded than the more diverse states, including CA. Sure, there is a strong impression among residents of being very open-minded, but I've found it quite lacking in actuality. There's a difference between true friendliness and niceness, and forced due to "that's what we do here". I prefer reality, no matter what. People here are drawn to the fun and outwardly folks that look and breath the "all things Colorado" image. The more one diverges from that, the more difficult it can be. Keep in mind too that many in CO can't stand CA, and will always have a dislike of transplants from there, even if they try to hide it.

Keep in mind that natives and long-time Coloradans will see the state differently than those from other areas. Coming fresh from a different region, you will see and notice things that long-timers won't see or mention. Look for comments from others who have done that move (CA->CO) for more relevant and personal data.

Bottom line though, instead of assuming CO is the place to be and then finding a location to move to, you should first make sure the state truly makes sense (beyond the daydreaming), and that there aren't better matches elsewhere. Many seem to skip over that first important point. No one will be able to answer that but you.

Good luck!

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 07-15-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 11:13 AM

3,461 posts, read 1,699,247 times
No to Cheyenne. Don't think it will be a good fit at all.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:15 PM

3,797 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Among the more affordable options:
Not too big- Lafayette
Small- Manitou Springs
Even smaller- Lyons

Laramie might be better option than Cheyenne, if you can handle the long winter.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeamer View Post
Based on what you are saying, I bet that Boulder would be a very good fit for you. However, real estate prices are very expensive there (though not when compared to Silicon Valley -- it's all relative). If you can't afford Boulder, you might want to check out Longmont, which is about 20 minutes to the northeast. As more Boulderites are priced out of Boulder, Longmont is starting to get cool. You could also look into Golden, on the west side of Denver. Combines a smaller town vibe with easy access to Denver. Also not cheap, but less than Boulder.
Boulder real estate seems almost a pricey as Silicon Valley. Zillow shows median home prices of around $635,000. I almost could not believe it. So Boulder is out of question. I will look into Longmont and perhaps Golden too. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I'd heavily advise against Fort Collins based your notes. It's very narrow and limited, both racially/diversely, and in mindset. I've found more discrimination in that town, even being outwardly just another white person. People are put quite heavily under the microscope, though hidden under smiles and fake friendliness. I know that's strong, but I'm not going to mince words any more.

I've found people here to be less open-minded than the more diverse states, including CA. Sure, there is a strong impression among residents of being very open-minded, but I've found it quite lacking in actuality. There's a difference between true friendliness and niceness, and forced due to "that's what we do here". I prefer reality, no matter what. People here are drawn to the fun and outwardly folks that look and breath the "all things Colorado" image. The more one diverges from that, the more difficult it can be. Keep in mind too that many in CO can't stand CA, and will always have a dislike of transplants from there, even if they try to hide it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Interesting perspective. I guess not many people (especially the ones from out of Colorado) would think that's the case, especially in cities like Ft Collins with its high percentage of educated people. I was under the impression that Colorado is one of the more liberal and progressive states, even though I know its mostly white. Anyway, I understand that not everything is black and white (no pun intended ), but there is most probably some truth in your statements.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 PM

Can somebody tell me how the cost of living in one of these areas compares with that of Bay Area, California? I have checked COL comparison websites. Most of them tell me that for every $50,000 that I earn here in Bay Area, I need about $35,000 in the CO cities to maintain the same standard of living. Is that accurate? If we ignore the difference in housing prices for a moment, is there much difference in cost for everything else? Or is it almost the same? I don't buy a lot of stuff outside of the daily necessities. The reason I am asking is because if I end up moving, my salary will probably be cut by 10% to 15%. The state tax is almost the same. So I am trying to understand how much lower the cost of living is actually going to be (if at all) and if it could make up for the lower salary.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:39 AM

63 posts, read 64,417 times
If you don't mind a high desert climate, there's always Pueblo. Think a cooler version of Albuquerque in the winter time. Very reasonable real estate, thanks to a historically weak job market. Since you're bringing your own job, that's isn't such a big deal. COL will DEFINITELY be lower, but you'd have to be willing to be a Colorado Contrarian. Pueblo is a place the rest of the state looks down upon. It isn't as urbane and polished as other towns mentioned above. But it offers a way for someone who can work remotely and make a solid salary to amass a tidy little nest-egg that would never be possible in the "cooler" and more spendy towns.

Colorado Springs is about 45 minutes away, although weather there is markedly different...generally 7 to 10 degrees cooler. Makes a BIG difference in winter.

Areas of Pueblo I like...neighborhoods near the west/south side of the Arkansas River, particularly around the PCC campus. These are long established areas that are generally well-kept. Mountain views: Pueblo West, but this definitely will have a more deserty feel. You may also like the Belmont area, south of the Colorado State-Pueblo campus.

So if you're thinking about the Springs, you have little to lose by at least including Pueblo as part of your search. Summers are hot, but not Phoenix hot. Winters are mild, we get some snow but the majority of winter days have highs in the 40s and low 50s. Snow doesn't last long. Yet, you can be in the high country within 30 minutes...skiing two hours west. All the while avoiding the crowds of the North Range (anything north of the Springs)

Old 07-20-2016, 12:02 PM

3,140 posts, read 1,930,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic_528 View Post
Can somebody tell me how the cost of living in one of these areas compares with that of Bay Area, California? I have checked COL comparison websites. Most of them tell me that for every $50,000 that I earn here in Bay Area, I need about $35,000 in the CO cities to maintain the same standard of living. Is that accurate? If we ignore the difference in housing prices for a moment, is there much difference in cost for everything else? Or is it almost the same? I don't buy a lot of stuff outside of the daily necessities. The reason I am asking is because if I end up moving, my salary will probably be cut by 10% to 15%. The state tax is almost the same. So I am trying to understand how much lower the cost of living is actually going to be (if at all) and if it could make up for the lower salary.
Except for housing taxes, I doubt there's a lot of difference in the cost of living. Gasoline is quite a bit cheaper in CO, but hopefully that's not a huge part of the budget.

Income tax is flat in CO, versus many different brackets in CA. So you need to look at your own individual situation to see it compares to you. Property taxes are quite a bit higher in CA.

Boulder housing is pricey from a CO perspective, but I didn't think it even comes close to Bay Area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or