U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:47 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,616,706 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at apartment classifieds on websites and I have noticed a huge trend.

It seems as though Denver has more apartments in the $900 to $1000 range in core parts of the city then was the case a few months ago. It seemed for awhile that everything was about $1000 now it seems like there are units that are $900 to $1000 a month.

I also noticed rents in Boulder have decreased while they are still very expensive, it seems like there are more units in the $1300-$1400 range.

Colorado Springs on the hand is skyrocketing. Rents for old 1 bedroom apartments in mediocre neighborhoods are going for $800-$1000 a month.

Hard to believe that a decade ago that Colorado Springs had $300 apartments.

I know that Denver has a higher rental vacancy rate then Colorado Springs.

I also see more out of state plates near apartment complexes in Colorado Springs then Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 07:46 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,961,791 times
The entire front range is taking off. Even down here in Pueblo.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:13 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,620,844 times
Colorado springs is getting the overflow of people who cannot afford Denver both former Denver residents and people who do not want to pay Denver prices, which seem to have pushed the Springs much closer in rent to Denver then they should be.

As for more vacancies in Denver, while anecdotal I have spoken to a ton of people in Denver lately that are leaving or considering leaving. I have heard reasons ranging from similar positions paying much better in other states, the price of rent, the overall cost of living, the changing culture, there being too many people now, and anything in between. There are still plenty of people moving here, but it seems that the outflow has increased considerably, meaning the rents have come down slightly but not much as the vacancies have turned over more.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:05 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,307,776 times
Once Colorado Springs becomes expensive, Pueblo, La Junta, Colorado City and Walsenburg will be the next cities for overflow.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:35 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Once Colorado Springs becomes expensive, Pueblo, La Junta, Colorado City and Walsenburg will be the next cities for overflow.
I'll stop calling it the I-25 Corridor and start calling it the Marijuana Greenway.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Already happening. I am told that a city should have enough houses for sell for 6 months. Currently Pueblo only has enough for 3 at most. Not to mention lack of manufacturing buildings. Why I'm told a construction boom is starting and you can see it in the economic numbers.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:15 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,616,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Already happening. I am told that a city should have enough houses for sell for 6 months. Currently Pueblo only has enough for 3 at most. Not to mention lack of manufacturing buildings. Why I'm told a construction boom is starting and you can see it in the economic numbers.
It seems like the typical older 1 bedroom apartment in Pueblo is $525-$550

It seems like Pueblo bargain is in older, single-family home rents where can rent a small house with a lot for about $700.

That is an increase but Pueblo has been always had a rent to home price ratio compared to other front range cities.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just a sidenote of the cost of houses relative to incomes in Colorado Springs vs Pueblo

This article says that Pueblo median home price is $129,000
Per-Capita Pueblo County income: $22,000
In Pueblo, 5.8 years of per-capita income to buy a home

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-c...103031519.html

Colorado Springs on the other hand median home price: $262,000
Per-Capita Colorado Springs income: $29,000
In Colorado Springs: 9 years of income to buy a home

Colorado Springs home sales and prices set more records in June | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

Another thing about Colorado Springs is that it has relatively high electric rates compared to other areas of the state and the water rates are extremely high.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It seems like the typical older 1 bedroom apartment in Pueblo is $525-$550

It seems like Pueblo bargain is in older, single-family home rents where can rent a small house with a lot for about $700.

That is an increase but Pueblo has been always had a rent to home price ratio compared to other front range cities.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just a sidenote of the cost of houses relative to incomes in Colorado Springs vs Pueblo

This article says that Pueblo median home price is $129,000
Per-Capita Pueblo County income: $22,000
In Pueblo, 5.8 years of per-capita income to buy a home

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-c...103031519.html

Colorado Springs on the other hand median home price: $262,000
Per-Capita Colorado Springs income: $29,000
In Colorado Springs: 9 years of income to buy a home

Colorado Springs home sales and prices set more records in June | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

Another thing about Colorado Springs is that it has relatively high electric rates compared to other areas of the state and the water rates are extremely high.
Interesting stats. Thinks for posting them.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 PM

14,498 posts, read 22,347,982 times
Quote:
...La Junta, Colorado City and Walsenburg will be the next cities for overflow.
Ummm errr... cities? Would you consider towns of under 5000 cities?

And what do you mean by overflow here? 5002 people?

Let's take Corado City for example. I doubt that the combined population of Colorado City, Rye, and San Isabel will ever top 5k by much if at all. Ever!

Walsenburg, a town once over 4k is now a virtual ghost town of 3k.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 1 day ago)

47,620 posts, read 45,275,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Albuquerque, NM might be next as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado