Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How likely would you lease or rent out extra space around your house or on land with the use of a na
I would not be likely to lease or rent out extra space. 12 85.71%
I would be likely to lease or rent out extra space; but on my own. 0 0%
I would be likely to lease or rent out extra space with the use of network and service provider 0 0%
I would be likely to lease or rent out extra space; but NOT around my home 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:56 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
So you want to plop people down in national forest land that isn't anywhere close to a major employment center?
There is much more land owned by the state and federal government than just national forest & park land, as a whole the federal government owns more than 50% of the land in the state, only 35% of all government owned land in Colorado is open to the public. The Bureau of land management controls most of the rest of the land and usually leases it to farmers or it sits empty depending on the area it is in and what they have decided to do with it based on trying to control the commodities markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 02:58 PM

399 posts, read 817,175 times
The housing market is market, not a civil right. If the city imposes that certain buildings need to be affordable housing, that's that. You don't get to live in Sillicon Valley just because you work there but can't afford to live there.

When there's a need in a market because of low supply, that's called supply and demand. Until there's a law requiring home builders to build homes at a lower price or less profit, we can partially thank the people moving INTO Colorado for the rising prices in the housing market prices (in Colorado of course).

So, like any other individual in the market for a house, one needs to keep up with their surroundings or they'll get left behind in the dust by said neighbors.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:08 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
There is much more land owned by the state and federal government than just national forest & park land, as a whole the federal government owns more than 50% of the land in the state, only 35% of all government owned land in Colorado is open to the public. The Bureau of land management controls most of the rest of the land and usually leases it to farmers or it sits empty depending on the area it is in and what they have decided to do with it based on trying to control the commodities markets.
I know this. It's mostly in places away from job centers. Building affordable housing on that land would not really accomplish much of anything.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Stop promoting rapid growth for businesses to move here through tax incentives (i.e. artificial growth) and crony capitalism. When you cut that out, less people will move here and that will discourage the vacancy rates to plummet. Let the free market work itself without the government getting involved. Secondly, the FEDs should sell off some of their land to home developers, which will increase supply and decrease demand driving the price down. An earlier poster mentioned how the FEDs own a lot of land in Colorado.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:54 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Stop promoting rapid growth for businesses to move here through tax incentives (i.e. artificial growth) and crony capitalism. When you cut that out, less people will move here and that will discourage the vacancy rates to plummet. Let the free market work itself without the government getting involved. Secondly, the FEDs should sell off some of their land to home developers, which will increase supply and decrease demand driving the price down. An earlier poster mentioned how the FEDs own a lot of land in Colorado.
No. This isn't Texas (thank god). You want to live in a state with almost no public land go live there.

I'd much rather Colorado be growing than stagnating like, say, New Mexico.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:20 AM

399 posts, read 817,175 times
The $50,000 house: Boulder County companies working on small housing solutions - Boulder Daily Camera

Quote:
A $50,000 home in Boulder County: It's difficult to imagine.

But that's the goal for two local companies pitching alternative solutions to the region's affordable housing crisis: Studio Shed of Louisville and Longmont's Zometool.

The two firms make small structures that could be used for residential housing if building codes in Boulder County communities were tweaked.

Studio Shed's products range from about 80 to 420 square feet. The largest offering, a 14-foot by 30-foot, starts at $19,900. For a few thousand extra, you can have it outfitted with insulation, glass doors, flooring, lighting — even a paint job on the interior walls.

I highlighted my point from the article with bold letters. I don't see how it's a crisis if someone or some people decided to box themselves in and make it worse for other people. That's called just being selfish and stupid and the consequences affect those around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado