Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 01:37 PM

242 posts, read 413,252 times

Advertisements

It's true. Water and elevation play a huge roll/factor in Colorado as to the success or failure of a gardening endeavor.

And yes...those 100' long--- 6 ft tall rolls of utility fencing are a requirement for keeping those unwanted critters listed above (and more) at bay.

I can't speak to gardening above 8K. However, I can speak to gardening at 7100 ft 75 miles north of where the OP is referencing. (For reference...Rye is 6800').

We are having excellent results here growing tomatoes...potatoes...squashes...melons...beets... beans...peas...eggplant... cucumbers...peppers...peas...cabbage...any/all lettuces/spinach/kale/etc...asparagus...herbs...cannabis...and more. We aren't self-sufficient (except for the cannabis..heehee) but we >are< 'producing food' just the same. At least one meal per day in our home is sourced from the GH or the outside garden. In peak times (coming soon in the outside garden...March/April in the greenhouse) we have enough food in cue to share with others as well. Yes, it's a hobby. No, it isn't a waste of time. (it's always a learning experience though!)

Ditto with chickens/goats/ducks/livestock/etc. Our neighbors have all of these these and offer CSA's for chicken/duck eggs/goat cheese/milk. Just down the road is a commercial "organic" farm where they raise greens/etc for sale to both the public and to various restaurants in a nearby town of 5000. I know of a few similar ops near Westcliffe/in the Wets as well.

With a minimum growing season from June 1 to Oct 1.... and 2X the UV offered at sea level...I know for a fact that a garden is a viable option in this area. It's >all< about finding the right combo of sun/elevation and water and having a basic understanding about how to grow plants in general.

As far as freezing temps.... roughly Oct 15 to May 15...give or take a few weeks each side depending on the year.

We heat 800 sq ft solely with wood/a catalytic wood stove. 3-4 cords of wood per year.

Find the right set up and make it happen! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 09:06 PM

31 posts, read 29,965 times
Default Cherish The Cabin

That is the plan (live at cabin year around) or something like that. I've been practicing. I try to get out(up) (cabin in Park County)at least every couple of weeks all year round so I get feel for all seasons . The summer and fall are no brainers (weather and recreation awesome!) You have to get creative and make your own fun (Nov-April) It still hasn't got old and I still get excited every time I go.
Attached Thumbnails
Year round cabin living-10897761_10203348618828390_9107076961533979185_n.jpg   Year round cabin living-img_9543.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado