Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 AM

169 posts, read 672,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyAskew View Post

Housing is expensive compared to where I'm from. I'd like to find something < %175K to buy or <1,100 to rent, if that is possible with the two caveats above that I mentioned. I'd be willing to sacrifice some creature comforts in exchange for good housing if the area was nice and the schools were excellent.

Thanks everyone.
I know nothing much about south Denver as far as areas to live (I live in Fort Collins, but work in IT as well). BUT I think you are out of luck if you expect to find a house for less than 175K anywhere in Denver. You would be really hard pressed in Ft Collins and home prices here are generally a bit cheaper on avg. The more realistic range in FC would be 200-250 (probably something in the middle. Hopefully the housing market continues to crash and we see a nice drop in home prices that bring things back to reality. That is my hope - I'm waiting it out for the best deal possible after moving here 2 years ago.

However, with that said you may be able to find a townhome or condo for that price. That is definitely doable in FC - it would actually land you a condo right in downtown here in FC . As far as rent goes, again you may be looking at more if you are talking renting a home for less than 1,100. For a 3 bed, 1200 sq foot home (possibly with basement) that would be right around 1,100 in FC and I'm betting its more expensive in the Denver area.

I'll let others correct me if my assessments are incorrect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 23,068 times
Default Here we come!

So, I landed a job and will be moving to Colorado later this year. I am coming down at the beginning of October to look for housing. Right now I'm looking in the Highlands Ranch (my wife likes the community stuff), Parker, or Castle Rock.

We're wanting to rent a house, but are having trouble finding properties. If someone has a name of a good property management agency that would be willing to show us around when we come down, I would appreciate it. Also, if there is anyone on here who lives in any of these communities who commutes downtown, I'd like to get an idea of what your travel is like. Also, anyone who has kids in Douglas County School District that could answer a few questions, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone who helped out in my search.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 AM

8 posts, read 15,507 times
Fort Collins is a great place to live. it was voted number one place to live in the U.S. by Time magazine. It has a great culture, is affordable, and has next to no crime. Pretty much anywhere you go in Colorado is going to be relatively safe, except for maybe parts of downtown Denver and Aurora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado