U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2016, 02:00 PM
 
Location: The 719
10,554 posts, read 18,645,559 times
Reputation: 11617

Advertisements

Thx Photobugg, the only thing I remember about Two Buttes is when my wife's dad, the "telephone guy" from Lamar (keeping his anonymity here, he also loves his occasional poker game... those are the only clues you get) took us there when they had a decent restaurant out there.

Az, no expert on the Eastern plains, but I would imagine much of the southeastern section along the Arkansas River to be dedicated to irrigated farming via the river and various canals, aka Fort Lyons etc., and the land north of there to somewhere south of I-70 to be dry land farming, aka Cheyenne Wells, Arapahoe, and some of that land due west may take advantage of underground springs, then when you get up along 70, like in Burlington, you've got a lot of ranching up there.

A lot of farming north of Lamar, like in Wiley and elsewhere, you've got a lot of farming used to feed cattle, such as alfalfa and maize.

Not sure what all they do up in Lincoln County, Weld, and the extreme northeast part of the state. Probably not much for farming as the terrain is dry and gultchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM
 
21 posts, read 10,591 times
Reputation: 43
Gorges There's so much to learn about the eastern half of our state, it has quite the history also. Traveling through all the little towns you can see the charm in them. I would suggest getting out and walking around them. Maybe even visit some of the sights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 04:04 PM
 
800 posts, read 1,496,759 times
Reputation: 281
I wish they had more campgrounds or state parks in the east. I want to camp in colorado, but at a lower elevation. there's a ton i'd like to do on the front range, but it seems like 9/10 the campgrounds are 7500' and up. it takes me a month to acclimate to that, nowdays, even though i lived in park county as a teen.

is real estate more affordable out east? is it easier to get water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 PM
 
21 posts, read 10,591 times
Reputation: 43
famlife the biggest state park in the southeast part of Colorado is John Martin Reservoir. It's great for camping, fishing, boating. There's some wildlife in the area also. Eastern Colorado has many lakes, so if you're okay with not camping on campgrounds. There's also Comanche National Grasslands that offers camping.

There's been some talk about Camp Amache (Japanese American internment) becoming a state park. Which would be interesting to see. You can drive out now and see what it currently looks like. The town of Granada has done a pretty good job of preserving the it's history. Currently there's archaeologist out there working to help preserve it.

As for real estate it is more affordable, but there are some reasons for that of course. As for getting water it's not an easier out this way. Some farmers will tell you they are lacking the water they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,288 posts, read 625,195 times
Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I asked if they ever had an inkling to camp in the high country, a couple said "yea, in the Boy Scouts I did. I wouldn't go those places now, too many people." Heh, this was in 1979 when they told me that!
One set of my Grandparents said the same thing about the front range. They moved to Park County in 1970 because they felt Cos was getting too crowded. They passed away 20+ years ago. They probably would have moved again seeing how things in the Fairplay/Alma district have changed over that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZReader View Post
I enjoy plains too and want to check out some areas in the east on my next trip. However I'm allergic to the pesticides used on most farms. Can anyone who's knowledgeable about the eastern plains tell us if any towns there are predominantly ranching (versus farming) communities? Ranches require far less chemical use and are therefore much healthier for me. Thanks!
Plains communities will be quite varied in what you encounter. Best thing I'd suggest is target an attraction or place you want to see, then check that county's website to see what predominate activities are in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobugg View Post
Gorges There's so much to learn about the eastern half of our state, it has quite the history also. Traveling through all the little towns you can see the charm in them. I would suggest getting out and walking around them. Maybe even visit some of the sights.
Agreed. Much of what people think of as the quintessential "wild west" occurred on the plains of central and western Kansas and eastern Colorado and Wyoming. Railroads, Indian wars, cow towns, and the foundation of law and order was all established on the plains as the country moved west after the Civil War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
I wish they had more campgrounds or state parks in the east. I want to camp in colorado, but at a lower elevation. there's a ton i'd like to do on the front range, but it seems like 9/10 the campgrounds are 7500' and up. it takes me a month to acclimate to that, nowdays, even though i lived in park county as a teen.

is real estate more affordable out east? is it easier to get water?
There are quite a few campgrounds along with a few state and national parks on the plains. John Martin, Twin Buttes, Bonny, Sterling, Barr lake, Jackson Lake, Comanche Grasslands, Pony Express Trail, Sand Creek, Beecher Island, Summit Springs, Sante Fe Trail, Camp Amache, Bents Fort and many others are all out on the plains. Some have campgrounds, most have hotels nearby.

As far as real estate goes, it really depends. Yes, you can buy a house in a small town for much less than Denver, but acreage that is productive farm land will be comparably expensive. If its cheap, like photobugg said, there is usually a reason for that and water is usually the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 11:37 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
16,360 posts, read 30,607,682 times
Reputation: 14168
My roots are in Haxton, CO, my dad was sent there to an uncle's farm during depression. He would ride his St Bernard out to get the cows. I was weaned on Hot Beef sandwiches from The Farmer's Cafe in Wray.

During HS I built and repaired the Blue Silos in CO, NE ansd KS.

When I turned 18 and could haul interstate commerce, I had a service route delivering movie film reels and Denver Post to all of NE CO (that was just the start of my Route, I met a relay driver who headed to McCook, NE and looped through Valentine). That way I could take the short cut through Peetz, CO on my way to RC, then to Buffalo, WY. I recently met a retired farmer on Oregon Coast from Peetz, who said he would lay in bed and listen for the scream of my Jimmy, laboring northbound very late every Saturday night (hauling those Heavy 2" thick Sunday Denver Posts, full of ads for the
'malls' )

Of course during the winter I was wearing my Frostline vest (kit from Boulder, CO) that I made as a 4H project in Jr High... Btw, I still wear it bought it's twin on eBay last winter for $12. That will assure I stay comfy the rest of my life.

Colorado prairie memories...,
Using a 6ft dia Tumbleweed as a hanging Christmas Tree
. We rode the horses out to the draws on Thanksgiving afternoon to hunt down the largest tumbleweed. ( no football on Thanksgiving, no TV!)

Summer thunderstorms and twisters

. Nothing like a moonlit night across the frozen prairie, I would drive without headlights to stay alert (free range!). And I don't mean Chickens! Speaking of chickens.... "Me an Earl were haul'n chick'ns on a flatbed outta Wiggins..." (I.e. Wiggins, CO... Gateway to NE Colorado Prairie)


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=msNQCAXX5sg

I was probably singing 'Woll Creek Pass'. When I got my very first speeding ticket on Pawnee Pass

I still swing by Grover and Hereford, CO to make sure they are still alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Augusta, Kan
45 posts, read 34,591 times
Reputation: 62
I love the high plains. Lived in Hays, Kansas for about 7 years, but now in am in Kansas city (dislike it). Something about the high plains that draws me.....wide open space, less populated, clean air, landscape idk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2016, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Burlington, Colorado
347 posts, read 591,622 times
Reputation: 485
Come on out and visit. Lots of front rangers come out for pheasant season here in Burlington, Flatlanders festival in Goodland, Pedal the Plains, and other events. Some great history spots at Bents Fort (already mentioned),Beecher Island, and Sand Creek Massacre. Unfortunately Bonny Reservoir is drained and closed, but John Martin and Lake Meridith are still great. Some great restaurants in Burlington, Idalia, Wray,and Yuma. Even a winery in Stratton, I've never been there though so don't know anything about it. Just missed our fair but Yuma County is next weekend.

As far as land use, dryland and irrigated farming most everywhere from Lamar to Nebraska with feedlots and ranch land mixed in, ranch or just scrub desert south and west of that. As far as pesticides, don't want to open that can of worms but yes there are lots used here, and most everywhere out here, and from here to the Appalachian Mountains, but never heard of people in town being exposed much less allergic reactions to them.

Oh, and if you have any desire to live out here, look into it, we have tons of jobs. You just have to be in the right field (medical, mental health, education, financial, managerial, labor, service, again, and others I'm not thinking of of the top of my head). There are limited opportunities in others, though you never know. I work in the engineering field, theres not alot of us, but there are some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 08:38 AM
 
Location: The 719
10,554 posts, read 18,645,559 times
Reputation: 11617
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My roots are in Haxton, CO, my dad was sent there to an uncle's farm during depression. He would ride his St Bernard out to get the cows. I was weaned on Hot Beef sandwiches from The Farmer's Cafe in Wray.

During HS I built and repaired the Blue Silos in CO, NE ansd KS.

When I turned 18 and could haul interstate commerce, I had a service route delivering movie film reels and Denver Post to all of NE CO (that was just the start of my Route, I met a relay driver who headed to McCook, NE and looped through Valentine). That way I could take the short cut through Peetz, CO on my way to RC, then to Buffalo, WY. I recently met a retired farmer on Oregon Coast from Peetz, who said he would lay in bed and listen for the scream of my Jimmy, laboring northbound very late every Saturday night (hauling those Heavy 2" thick Sunday Denver Posts, full of ads for the
'malls' )

Of course during the winter I was wearing my Frostline vest (kit from Boulder, CO) that I made as a 4H project in Jr High... Btw, I still wear it bought it's twin on eBay last winter for $12. That will assure I stay comfy the rest of my life.

Colorado prairie memories...,
Using a 6ft dia Tumbleweed as a hanging Christmas Tree
. We rode the horses out to the draws on Thanksgiving afternoon to hunt down the largest tumbleweed. ( no football on Thanksgiving, no TV!)

Summer thunderstorms and twisters

. Nothing like a moonlit night across the frozen prairie, I would drive without headlights to stay alert (free range!). And I don't mean Chickens! Speaking of chickens.... "Me an Earl were haul'n chick'ns on a flatbed outta Wiggins..." (I.e. Wiggins, CO... Gateway to NE Colorado Prairie)


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=msNQCAXX5sg

I was probably singing 'Woll Creek Pass'. When I got my very first speeding ticket on Pawnee Pass

I still swing by Grover and Hereford, CO to make sure they are still alive.
Nice post. That north central football league along hwy 34 plays some mean 6 man 8 man and 1A 11 man football with Haxtun, Merino, Akron, sometimes Holyoke Wiggins and Wray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
523 posts, read 558,602 times
Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick968 View Post
I mean,eastern Colorado? Western Kansas? The only difference or excitement is the 'Welcome to colorful Colorado" sign Meh head for the Rockies
There's a big difference in geography. Most of western Kansas was under a prehistoric ocean so off of I-70 you have far more interesting geography than what you will find up to Limon, La Junta. The drive from La Junta to Trinidad does have some awesome scenery, though. I used to take lessons on a musical instrument in Pueblo in high school and we would often stay there or in COS so we've taken loads of alternate routes through eastern Colorado (and several on the way to Denver) to try and make it more appealing. If I had to pick a favorite town in eastern Colorado it would have to be Lamar because we know the Walmart has clean bathrooms and because they've flat out stated in the media a few times that they feel like Colorado doesn't care about the eastern plains when it comes to economic development citing how La Junta and Lamar were once the size of Liberal, Garden City, and Dodge City, KS in the not so distant past, and now they're stuck with similar demographics and crime rates at less than half the size. The stores in Garden City see decent traffic from Prowers and and Bent County, Colorado. When I worked at the Sears there we had quite a few families drive all the way from Lamar to pick up appliances. I do think Lamar has what could be a very cute downtown and I love the Bent County courthouse in Las Animas. I'm not a fan of La Junta in the least, and Rocky Ford makes me sad because there is a lot of potential there do to strong local businesses in the produce stands, but that area will continue to die as they continue to lose their irrigation rights to the front range cities .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top