Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 PM

22 posts, read 33,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick968 View Post
I mean,eastern Colorado? Western Kansas? The only difference or excitement is the 'Welcome to colorful Colorado" sign Meh head for the Rockies
I've often wished I could show people what I see when I look at Eastern Colorado. Being born and raised in the Eastern part of Colorado this may come out as biased. However I don't completely agree with you. Yes, it's farmland and small towns, but a lot of those towns have so much history and there's more then just flatland. I think they are worth a day trip at the least. But if all you're looking for is "exitement" the Front Range is where you should head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:26 PM

100 posts, read 122,197 times
When I lived on the Front Range, I often drove back to the Midwest to see family and friends. Early on, my mindset was "pedal-to-metal-interstates-get-it-over-with." Then, I started taking backroads and byways and my mind opened up. Maybe it is a Zen thing? Being-and-nothingness-and-bliss? I remember driving through Wray and thinking, "wait, this isn't some flat, horrid hellhole. I could live here."

Yeah, I have a preference for magnificent mountains, but in our hyperaccelerated world, the Eastern Plains (heck, Great Plains as a whole) do not thrust image-after-image-after-image into our video-addled mind. You have to have patience and seek out the treasure. Maybe everyone should spend a few months out there to dis- and re-connect.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:36 PM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
My dirty little secret is that I actually prefer the landscape of the Western Slope and the Eastern Plains to the mountains. Sure, I can appreciate the mountain scenery (it's beautiful), but there is just something about the desert and the plains that I really like.

I've been to Bent's Fort and have fond memories of stopping for coffee at Java Jackie's in Las Animas, though I hear it has closed.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
As more and more people pour into the mountains on the weekends, I find myself heading east more often. I personally don't mind the plains. The wide open views, small towns, and low key areas are a sharp contrast to the jammed and hurried urban corridors of the Front Range, however I do realize the plains aren't for everyone, and thank goodness, because it keeps my favorite spots off the radar of popularity.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:49 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Commanche Grasslands Vogal Canyon PHOTO TOUR

Here's some more Eastern Colorado for ya. Anyone ever been to Boggsville, Kit Farson's old pad?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
As more and more people pour into the mountains on the weekends, I find myself heading east more often. I personally don't mind the plains. The wide open views, small towns, and low key areas are a sharp contrast to the jammed and hurried urban corridors of the Front Range, however I do realize the plains aren't for everyone, and thank goodness, because it keeps my favorite spots off the radar of popularity.
I agree with you there, the plains tend to be less favorable but it's your little secret spots tucked away. That can be a nice feeling coming to a favorite spot knowing you're not going to see much traffic.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:36 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
In my three decade construction career four years of it was spent at the Pawnee Power Plant, which is between Brush and Ft. Morgan. I had a condo at the time in Littleton and stayed in Ft. Morgan during the week and went home on weekends. I got to know a lot of tradesman and a fair amount of them commuted from Sterling, Akron, Snyder, Yuma, and other small towns. All were down to earth friendly guys. To a man all of them had no desire to move to front range cities. They lived simply but happily. Most of those guys have long since retired, several have probably passed on for that matter.

The guys who commuted from Sterling admitted that they would spend a weekend in Denver but just for heavy duty shopping. There were no such thing as Costco or Sam's Club back then. Their wives would go to the malls. Their recreation on weekends? Lake McConaughy- about 2 hours from Sterling.

I asked if they ever had an inkling to camp in the high country, a couple said "yea, in the Boy Scouts I did. I wouldn't go those places now, too many people." Heh, this was in 1979 when they told me that!

Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Commanche Grasslands Vogal Canyon PHOTO TOUR

Here's some more Eastern Colorado for ya. Anyone ever been to Boggsville, Kit Farson's old pad?
McGowdog I've been out to Boggsville, such a great place to visit. They really have done such a good job and keeping the histoy. Have you been out to Two Buttes Resevior? Locals call it "the black hole" growing up we heard some type of large machinery was washed into it in a flood in the 50's.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,642 times
This is great info---thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. I'm from AZ but spent the last week exploring the front range area and absolutely loved it. You have a magnificent state!

I enjoy plains too and want to check out some areas in the east on my next trip. However I'm allergic to the pesticides used on most farms. Can anyone who's knowledgeable about the eastern plains tell us if any towns there are predominantly ranching (versus farming) communities? Ranches require far less chemical use and are therefore much healthier for me. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2016, 01:35 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Nice thread! I haven't spent much time on the eastern plains of CO but I'd like to, and look forward to learning more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado