U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 11,486 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been to Colorado many times in the last 20+ years. We have decided to retire in Canon City or Colorado Springs. He will retire before we come, and I hopefully, will find an IT job for a few years when we arrive.

Any suggestions on which area of town? We are wanting several acres to live on, and don't mind finding a run down home and fixing it up before we move in.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 04:53 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,224,772 times
Not sure about IT jobs in Canon City, there will definitely be more of those in Colorado Springs, and maybe some in Pueblo.

What price homes are you thinking about, and then we can offer areas to look at?

Old 08-11-2016, 08:53 PM

I'm not opposed to working in Pueblo or Colorado Springs.

We would like to budget about 300,000 for a house.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:30 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,224,772 times
If you use PPAR.com to search (this is our local MLS portal for El Paso County), and put in your search criteria selecting El Paso County, you will find homes with a few acres and up, mostly in Falcon, Peyton, Fountain, and futher east. Sometimes a few in Black Forest. Most will be manufactured homes, but not all.

Colorado Springs Homes For Sale - Official MLS Listings - PPAR.com

Also, here is the Pueblo MLS: http://www.usamls.net/pueblo/

And the Fremont County MLS: http://www.royalgorgerealtors.org/de...h&menu_id=8540

Old 08-18-2016, 07:33 PM

139 posts, read 159,126 times
I used to live in Florence, it is a nice little town. Low crime, friendly people, housing isn't expensive. Lots of homes with acreage there.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:27 PM

63 posts, read 64,417 times
Fremont County is very friendly towards hobby farms and small acreages. However, you'll want to be careful if you're looking at properties in the county that they're not too close to licensed marijuana grow operations. They can be rather skunky smelling in close range. However, if you're driving on Hwy 115 between Cañon City and Florence, you'll notice a rather active skunk kill zone. I think Pepé and his striped friends like to travel along an adjacent irrigation ditch, and they get caught in the cross traffic.

You'll find a good selection of acreages whether in areas in the county such as Lincoln Park or Penrose, or in towns such as Florence and Cañon City. I've lived in the NE Cañon neighborhood going on nine years. Cost of living is fairly low compared to the rest of the Front Range, as are job prospects in the immediate area,but people do commute between Fremont County and either the Springs or Pueblo. The Springs is a tougher commute in winter, but quite scenic. The Pueblo commute has big, sweeping views of the Arkansas Valley across to the Spanish Peaks and Wet Mountains that the driver can't really appreciate. Somewhat easier in winter as Cañon to Pueblo is nearly as mild as Albuquerque.

The big question is what kind of winter do you want? If you want more snow and milder summers, you'll want the north side of the Springs...Peyton, Falcon, Black Forest. For me, I'd rather deal with January highs between 45 and 50 with a sprinkling of 60s. We get snow, but it rarely lasts more than a few days.

For my money, I'd consider an acreage in the eastern part of Cañon City. Many of them have irrigation rights, you'd have water/sewer/gas and electric already there if there's an existing house, and if not, it wouldn't cost a lot to have them put in. (Cañon City currently has waived its water tap fees for new houses...usually about $15,000. Act quickly as there's talk it might go away) PM me if you want further details.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:07 AM

Thank you for all the replies and information.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:32 PM

Can someone give me the name of some recruiting companies please?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:25 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,987,784 times
colorado information trchnology IT job recruiting companies - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado