U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 01:14 PM

477 posts, read 654,639 times

Advertisements

Calm down people.

I'm not asking if Colorado likes Texas or your views on Texans. I am asking because of the fact that parts of Colorado WERE ACTUALLY PART OF THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS. The boundaries of the Texas Republic included part of your state.

In Texas, we honor every single country we were once part of.

It's called the Six Flags over Texas.

Read about them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_flags_over_Texas

What I am asking is...how does Colorado remember their own unique history which includes being part of the Republic of Texas?

Old 08-14-2016, 01:30 PM

6,525 posts, read 10,194,145 times
My daughters both learned about Colorado history in 4th grade. That was only a couple of years ago for both of them and neither of them remember any mention of the Republic of Texas.

The state was part of the Apache, Anasazi, and Ute Nations for centuries longer, and that WAS part of the history they learned.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:44 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Calm down people.

I'm not asking if Colorado likes Texas or your views on Texans. I am asking because of the fact that parts of Colorado WERE ACTUALLY PART OF THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS. The boundaries of the Texas Republic included part of your state.

In Texas, we honor every single country we were once part of.

It's called the Six Flags over Texas.

Read about them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_flags_over_Texas

What I am asking is...how does Colorado remember their own unique history which includes being part of the Republic of Texas?

How do we remember our unique history as part of Texas?

By pointing and laughing at Texans who wear jeans and cowboy hats skiing.

We make jokes about the thin air while Texans are hunched over trying to catch their breath.

We breath sighs of relief that we are no longer associated with you when your state passes laws that restrict women's freedom. We then laugh when courts throws said laws out.

We celebrate our independence every time your governors mutter some crap about teaching the bible in public schools.

Leaving Texas was indeed a seminal moment for us. It allowed us to get much, much better.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
How do we remember our unique history as part of Texas?

By pointing and laughing at Texans who wear jeans and cowboy hats skiing.

We make jokes about the thin air while Texans are hunched over trying to catch their breath.

We breath sighs of relief that we are no longer associated with you when your state passes laws that restrict women's freedom. We then laugh when courts throws said laws out.

We celebrate our independence every time your governors mutter some crap about teaching the bible in public schools.

Leaving Texas was indeed a seminal moment for us. It allowed us to get much, much better.

Maybe you should do some history because the story of the Texas Revolution is just as much Colorado's history as it is the history of Texas and the United States.

-Mosses and Stephen F. Austin are granted permission from the Mexican government to allow Americans to settle in the northern part of Mexico- Tejas.
-Austin is thrown in jail and the agreement is terminated. Americans refuse to leave and form the Texian Army to hold their land.
-Army is led by Sam Houston who leads Texas to victory over Mexico. He is named the first president of the Republic of Texas- which includes land in present day Colorado.
- Texas joins the United States of America and GIVES land to the USA so they can carve out that perfect little rectangle that is the state of Colorado.

To ignore the own history of your state is well..your decision. You can insult Texas all you want but at least we have respect for its history and ALL the countries that helped create the culture, boundaries, and attitudes that reflect our state.For those that are interested here's a link to the trailer for that movie that I was talking about. It gives you an idea of the struggles the brave Americans who fought in the Texas Revolution and how their contributions led to the country we have today...including the state of Colorado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5JKD9OKR8

Old 08-14-2016, 02:48 PM

634 posts, read 890,988 times
What about "nobody cares" do you not get? Oh, I'm sure there's a history buff among us but so far no takers.
I don't even care enough to click on any of the links you gave.
I know many people who live in Texas and I am fairly sure the majority of them have no clue or care about the stuff you wrote either. Strut your proud Texan stuff in the TX forum. Yeeha!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
What about "nobody cares" do you not get? Oh, I'm sure there's a history buff among us but so far no takers.
I don't even care enough to click on any of the links you gave.
I know many people who live in Texas and I am fairly sure the majority of them have no clue or care about the stuff you wrote either. Strut your proud Texan stuff in the TX forum. Yeeha!
Again, read my question very slowly because you seem to have reading comprehension issues.

FACT- A large chunk of Colorado was once part of the sovereign nation know as the Republic of Texas. My question was..How does the State of Colorado view this chapter of THEIR HISTORY?

Do they ignore it like it never happened or do they actually acknowledge the significance in the Texas Revolution in how it helped to shape THEIR state, many other states and the expansion into the western part of the United States.

The overwhelming majority of responses I am getting state that the state of Colorado acts like it never happened.

Fine, thank you ..that's what I was curious to know but I never asked for your opinion on Texans visiting snow slopes, or your opinion on Texas politics, or how you feel about Texas. I simply asked about how you view the historically accurate statement that parts of Colorado were once part of the country known as the Republic of Texas.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:37 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,023,768 times
Quote:
Again, read my question very slowly because you seem to have reading comprehension issues.

FACT- A large chunk of Colorado was once part of the sovereign nation know as the Republic of Texas. My question was..How does the State of Colorado view this chapter of THEIR HISTORY?

Do they ignore it like it never happened or do they actually acknowledge the significance in the Texas Revolution in how it helped to shape THEIR state, many other states and the expansion into the western part of the United States.

The overwhelming majority of responses I am getting state that the state of Colorado acts like it never happened.

Fine, thank you ..that's what I was curious to know but I never asked for your opinion on Texans visiting snow slopes, or your opinion on Texas politics, or how you feel about Texas. I simply asked about how you view the historically accurate statement that parts of Colorado were once part of the country known as the Republic of Texas.

We are all beyond happy that we no longer are associated with the Republic of Texas. Question answered.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:57 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,249,636 times
Quote:

I took a course in Colorado history at a community college a few years back. It gets mentioned that *part* of Colorado was part of the RoT. It also gets mentioned that certain parts of Colorado were a part of a *lot* of other political entities (which may or may no longer exist.) Sorry, but the now-defunct RoT does not get 'sole credit' for the current state of Colorado's existence (which is what I think you're aiming for.)

Old 08-14-2016, 04:32 PM

14,499 posts, read 22,341,939 times
The only thing I know about Texas is that birds fly upside down there.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:37 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Maybe you should do some history because the story of the Texas Revolution is just as much Colorado's history as it is the history of Texas and the United States.

-Mosses and Stephen F. Austin are granted permission from the Mexican government to allow Americans to settle in the northern part of Mexico- Tejas.
-Austin is thrown in jail and the agreement is terminated. Americans refuse to leave and form the Texian Army to hold their land.
-Army is led by Sam Houston who leads Texas to victory over Mexico. He is named the first president of the Republic of Texas- which includes land in present day Colorado.
- Texas joins the United States of America and GIVES land to the USA so they can carve out that perfect little rectangle that is the state of Colorado.

To ignore the own history of your state is well..your decision. You can insult Texas all you want but at least we have respect for its history and ALL the countries that helped create the culture, boundaries, and attitudes that reflect our state.For those that are interested here's a link to the trailer for that movie that I was talking about. It gives you an idea of the struggles the brave Americans who fought in the Texas Revolution and how their contributions led to the country we have today...including the state of Colorado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5JKD9OKR8

I am well aware of the history, but you aren't just looking for us to acknowledge that Colorado was briefly part of the RoT, you're asking for us to have a "Hail Texas Day" or something to that effect.

We do something called "Gaper Day" at the ski resorts on April 1st. It's intent is to honor Texans. We do it every year.

If that's not enough and you want an official Texas Day declared, I will wait until Texas declares an official "Colorado is awesome Day" first, where the state of Texas humbly admits that any shred of awesomeness that it still has comes from its brief association with Colorado. After that happens, we can talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or