U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:41 PM

8 posts, read 7,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Boulder Valley School District or Cherry Creek School District

The Cherry Creek area is more on the conservative side, but it's fairly moderate compared to the South East (I'm from Atlanta).

The Boulder Valley area is very liberal, but it's more of a progressive liberal.

fwiw, my family was in a similar situation and we checked out a lot of places all over the US before picking South Boulder. My wife and I think it's heaven. My suggestion would be to come out here and check out both the areas I mentioned above. Go to the grocery stores and see if they have the type of food you like, check out the neighborhood casual restaurant and see if it's your style, and go check out the neighborhood parks and see if it's your kind of place.
Thank you for your input! - I appreciate it. We are coming out there in October to look around for a week at different areas and Boulder is definitely on our list. We will check out the Cherry Creek area too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:38 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emichele22 View Post
Thanks for the input. In your opinion, what are the greatest regional cultural differences from TN that we would encounter? We have lived here for 8 years, originally from Orlando, Florida, so I am used to a faster paste of life. We do love it here for many reasons, but there are other things we don't like too as no city is perfect. If it was just schools we could probably come up with a better solution close by, but we are looking for a change and to experience more than just one spot in life.
The only ones of us who could answer that are those of us who have actually lived in TN as well as here. That includes me out.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:56 AM

107 posts, read 88,724 times
I'm curious why so many are looking to move to Colorado for the "good" schools (this sentiment has been repeated in several threads now). Overall, they get a 'C' grade for quality (TN gets a C-)
Colorado schools get C ranking in 'Quality Counts' report | CPR

Sure, there are pockets of great schools, but there are pockets of great schools in every state, Colorado schools overall are mediocre at best.

If schools are your priority, then move to the northeast.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:57 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondmoray View Post
I'm curious why so many are looking to move to Colorado for the "good" schools (this sentiment has been repeated in several threads now). Overall, they get a 'C' grade for quality (TN gets a C-)

Sure, there are pockets of great schools, but there are pockets of great schools in every state, Colorado schools overall are mediocre at best.

Beware the averages.

Reading through the linked article, no state achieves better than a B and there are only ten of those. Colorado ranked 6th among 8th graders on national testing and 9th for 4th graders and we are achieving that with $2700 less per student than the national average. Sounds like we aren't doing too poorly in some regards.

However, the "poverty gap" and overall student spending do create a big deficit for us.

I do agree most the "B" rated schools do appear to be in the northeast.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondmoray View Post

There are many different rating systems. Massachusetts does come out on top or near the top in most rankings. However, I've seen rankings where CO was pretty highly rated as well.

Here's one where CO is 23: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/
Here's one that ranks CO #6: These Are The States With The Best And Worst School Systems, According To New Rankings
Funny how the same ranking system could change Colorado's ranking so much in two years!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:13 AM

121 posts, read 140,041 times
You would love Parker...we lived there 23 years, raised our 4 kids thru high school. VERY family friendly with lots to do. We loved the Douglas Co. School system as well.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:15 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,700,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuels View Post
You would love Parker...we lived there 23 years, raised our 4 kids thru high school. VERY family friendly with lots to do. We loved the Douglas Co. School system as well.
The Douglas County School System has MAJOR issues right now.

I wouldn't let the schools be a reason to keep anyone away from Colorado, providing you are careful about your local schools, but I also wouldn't consider the state a destination BECAUSE of the schools. The schools are fine => very good in many areas, but not outstanding, especially when compared with many other metropolitan areas.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:35 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuels View Post
You would love Parker...we lived there 23 years, raised our 4 kids thru high school... We loved the Douglas Co. School system...
This is obviously in the past tense. How long has it been since you lived there? A lot can change in even 2-3 years. Was Parker the same, say 10-20 years ago, as it is today? If it was so great, why did you move away (even out of state?)

Do you really know the OP well enough personally to ensure and guarantee that she "would love Parker"? I heard a lot of "you'll love it" stuff on this forum years ago for my own personal relocation. It turned out not to be accurate. Caution can go along way, and be our friend and ally.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-19-2016 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-21-2016, 01:36 PM

285 posts, read 272,507 times
As mentioned above, definitions of "good" can vary. In general, Cherry Creek School District and Littleton Public Schools are considered among the best public schools in the state. your budget could get you into either school district easily, although with scarce inventory to begin with, it may not be your dream house in all aspects, although when you push a million, you get options.

As for private schools, there's are a few options, but as mentioned in other threads, there are no equivalents to Hockaday, Philips-Exeter, etc. anywhere in the state, really. If you want more space, then generally speaking you want the suburbs. Larger lots in Denver proper will likely run >1 million, although not always. A while back there were some double lots in Park Hill (an older, nicer NE denver neighborhood) with definite fixer upper homes for 700-800k.

Depending on where you fall politically/are used to politically, Boulder might be a bit out of your comfort zone. Or maybe not. But I'd put it well in the Berkeley/Austin category. It may or may not be your bag. Your budget may also be a little bit restrictive depending on the size house/lot you're looking for.

As you move further south of Denver, you tend to get a touch more conservative politically, but that varies quite a bit as well. It can be neighborhood dependent.

All of these statements are relative, of course, as conservative in CA is different than conservative in TX is different than conservative in CO.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:56 AM

Boulder is expensive, and inside the city, lots are small, generally. At your price point, OP, you could find something there, particularly at the higher end of it. Boulder Valley schools are also considered highly rated. I don't get into the school ratings bit too much myself. My kids did got to BVSD schools and got a fine education, were well prepared for college.

You'd be pushing the one hour from DIA in Boulder proper. You might want to consider the eastern Boulder county cities and towns, e.g. Louisville, Superior, Lafayette, Erie, also Broomfield. All are family-friendly.

You have not said what type of housing you're looking for. If it's old, meaning anything from about 1880 to 1970, there's lots of it in Boulder. Quite a bit of 1950/60/70 type housing, actually. Broomfield goes back to the 50s to the present. Superior has a tiny "old town" and is mostly 90s+ housing. Lots of 90s housing, actually. Louisville and Lafayette have larger old towns and even more housing dating from the 70s to today. Erie has an old town, plus housing from the 90s on.

Louisville, Lafayette and Superior are all in BVSD, as are western Erie and western Broomfield. However, I'd be comfortable with the other districts in those cities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or