U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:34 PM

8 posts, read 7,243 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early thirties with a 1yr old and 5 yr old. My husband has a great job where he works from home and can live anywhere in the US. We currently live in Chattanooga TN. We love it here - small town but lots to do, outdoor activities, great weather, very friendly people and family friendly. The reason we are thinking of moving is my daughter is starting kindergarten and the schools aren't great here, so going private we are spending 15k a year....and it will only get worse when the second kid goes and as they hit middle it gets more expensive. While we love the southern hospitlity in TN, we are also looking for more liberal area. We are also looking at Dallas for family reasons, but also love the idea of Denver area for good schools, more outdoor activies, etc. I grew up coming to CO once a year for skiing and loved it, but haven't been back in at least 5 yes.

Anyways, the question I have is what towns should we look at? We want a small town feel that is Perfect For a young family. only location requirement is within an hour of Denver airport. price point of $600k-$900k. Would love a little land between houses but also a community feel (doesnt have to be neighborhood) Want to be close to parks and decent outdoor activities with the kids (love to walk, hike, ride bikes leisurely, etc). Prefer smaller over larger community where people are friendly. Want to be a part of a town that does festivals, kids programs, has a cute downtown with restaurants, etc. BIGGEST requirement is Great school district with smaller schools as that is our main reason for moving. Any help would be appreciated!!! We are coming in Oct to do RMNP and will spend a few days looking around at cities as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 10:30 AM

3,797 posts, read 3,987,784 times
I'd suggest you look into Louisville, CO.

If you use search tool and put in Louisville and school (for entire post not just titles) there are hundreds of threads, some of which may be very helpful. Just schools or schools and other city names, more details. And of course there are school ranking websites.

I'd focus on the elementary school rankings (and talk to teachers & parents in your target areas). High school is a long way away. If you move you can figure out the best high school given your children's development and interests later by listening to locals, visiting the schools if you feel there is a compelling difference with first stop high school option(s).

If Louisville is too big / too small, too close in to rest of Denver metro, whatever, you might also look at Evergreen, Parker, Golden, Longmont, Castle Rock, etc. Boulder or just outside it may be a temptation for the schools and other things but you'll get far less house for the same money.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-15-2016 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-15-2016, 11:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Berthoud or south or west Loveland. Very nice communities with a family focus.

But.... Texas schools are far better funded than Colorado (not that funding is a measure of future success). TX is pretty miserable in Summer.

WY has great schools, is very close. Income tax free, (as is TX), bit far from international airport.

Take a look at SLC or Logan, UT, it is a SWA and Delta hub, pretty good flight schedule, especially to TX. SLC is much more accessible to great recreation and schools (in comparision to DEN). You are best to keep your focus on the smaller towns nearby.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:34 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
There is nowhere within 1 hour of where you live with good public schools?

I would never move to this state for its schools (nor recommend anybody else to), especially when you love the place you're at.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times
Boulder Valley School District or Cherry Creek School District

The Cherry Creek area is more on the conservative side, but it's fairly moderate compared to the South East (I'm from Atlanta).

The Boulder Valley area is very liberal, but it's more of a progressive liberal.

fwiw, my family was in a similar situation and we checked out a lot of places all over the US before picking South Boulder. My wife and I think it's heaven. My suggestion would be to come out here and check out both the areas I mentioned above. Go to the grocery stores and see if they have the type of food you like, check out the neighborhood casual restaurant and see if it's your style, and go check out the neighborhood parks and see if it's your kind of place.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Love TN but want more liberal and better schools than Chattanoga, there are a lot of choices nearby. (Probably very near, within Chattanooga area.)

TN has 3 very different regions, as well as much diversity / differences within those regions. There are some liberal areas in NE, as well as Knoxville. Of course Asheville and Chapel Hill, NC ( but you lose TN tax advantages)

As you venture west, people are very different and pace of life / quality of life changes (if you like the S-L-O-W pace of Southern USA. ). Colorado people would not tolerate the casual pace of check-out lanes, CA residents would go postal if there were not open lanes, or if someone had 11 items in a 10 item express lane. Seattle people would go hungry or find another store if they thought they could not use 'self-checkout' and actually had to talk to someone!

Colorado is still somewhat friendly, but is very hyper / fast paced / performance oriented / competitve. (Not schools... , tho some are quite good, expectations and academics is not very highly pursued in USA public schools.

If you want good schools, move to Singapore. One Colorado family I know did that, and then came back to USA for Final yrs of HS. Their kids all got 100% free rides to Ivy League schools, (due to ace-ing the simple ACT and SAT) and they are now in excellent international roles. Good investment, and a very good place to raise kids! (If you don't have your own dairy farm to train them well ). We traveled to different countries every weekend when we lived in Asia and Europe. Kids got tired, but had good exposure to something besides USA TV and sports programs. We homeschooled, so traveled most of the time. I grew up at Colorado / Nebraska Dairy Farm Boarding School, so I was ready to get outta town after 24x7x365 stuck in the milking parlor.

Enjoy TN, and Enjoy your next destination. None are perfect (but New Zealand is close!)
Remember that Colorado will usually be VERY brown 9 months/ yr. (last 2 yrs excepted)

Old 08-16-2016, 10:46 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,065 times
I agree with David A. and Stealth above. Really, one needs to get a better understanding of life "out there" (in other locations) rather than running with an impression of another state/location that might be far from reality. If you "love" the Chattanooga area (your word), I'm fairly sure you won't love Denver and/or CO, as the two areas are vastly different. Maybe look closer to where you are to fix one factor that needs changing (schools), instead of running the risk of throwing off multiple factors unintentionally due to relocating to a different (and possibly foreign) area. Instead of idealogy (liberal, etc.), I'd look at culture, and regional cultural differences. I've found those to be much more significant in day-to-day living. You might be happier remaining in TN and/or the states bordering it.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-16-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 03:13 PM

32 posts, read 35,789 times
Berthoud may meet most of your needs. Small community, great schools and a lot of open space but it's likely more conservative than some of the surrounding areas.

Last edited by hiapr; 08-16-2016 at 03:22 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I agree with David A. and Stealth above. Really, one needs to get a better understanding of life "out there" (in other locations) rather than running with an impression of another state/location that might be far from reality. If you "love" the Chattanooga area (your word), I'm fairly sure you won't love Denver and/or CO, as the two areas are vastly different. Maybe look closer to where you are to fix one factor that needs changing (schools), instead of running the risk of throwing off multiple factors unintentionally due to relocating to a different (and possibly foreign) area. Instead of idealogy (liberal, etc.), I'd look at culture, and regional cultural differences. I've found those to be much more significant in day-to-day living. You might be happier remaining in TN and/or the states bordering it.
Thanks for the input. In your opinion, what are the greatest regional cultural differences from TN that we would encounter? We have lived here for 8 years, originally from Orlando, Florida, so I am used to a faster paste of life. We do love it here for many reasons, but there are other things we don't like too as no city is perfect. If it was just schools we could probably come up with a better solution close by, but we are looking for a change and to experience more than just one spot in life.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Love TN but want more liberal and better schools than Chattanoga, there are a lot of choices nearby. (Probably very near, within Chattanooga area.)

TN has 3 very different regions, as well as much diversity / differences within those regions. There are some liberal areas in NE, as well as Knoxville. Of course Asheville and Chapel Hill, NC ( but you lose TN tax advantages)

As you venture west, people are very different and pace of life / quality of life changes (if you like the S-L-O-W pace of Southern USA. ). Colorado people would not tolerate the casual pace of check-out lanes, CA residents would go postal if there were not open lanes, or if someone had 11 items in a 10 item express lane. Seattle people would go hungry or find another store if they thought they could not use 'self-checkout' and actually had to talk to someone!

Colorado is still somewhat friendly, but is very hyper / fast paced / performance oriented / competitve. (Not schools... , tho some are quite good, expectations and academics is not very highly pursued in USA public schools.

If you want good schools, move to Singapore. One Colorado family I know did that, and then came back to USA for Final yrs of HS. Their kids all got 100% free rides to Ivy League schools, (due to ace-ing the simple ACT and SAT) and they are now in excellent international roles. Good investment, and a very good place to raise kids! (If you don't have your own dairy farm to train them well ). We traveled to different countries every weekend when we lived in Asia and Europe. Kids got tired, but had good exposure to something besides USA TV and sports programs. We homeschooled, so traveled most of the time. I grew up at Colorado / Nebraska Dairy Farm Boarding School, so I was ready to get outta town after 24x7x365 stuck in the milking parlor.

Enjoy TN, and Enjoy your next destination. None are perfect (but New Zealand is close!)
Remember that Colorado will usually be VERY brown 9 months/ yr. (last 2 yrs excepted)
Thanks for the input. We LOVE to travel and believe me, living overseas would be a dream but my husband needs to live in the US right now for his job...not saying we can't do it in the future. Looking for something different than where we currently live but also offers good weather, lots of outdoor activities we like and great landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or