U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor Right to Die legislation?
Yes. 42 82.35%
No. 6 11.76%
Not sure / No opinion / Still considering it / Etc 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:08 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,463,471 times

Advertisements

I just read that physician-assisted suicide/right-to-die is on the state ballot this fall. I can't believe how relieved I'd be if I am retiring to a state with this law in place. I don't remember any discussion on this forum about this coming up- did I miss something? What do people think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,238,423 times
There is a thread on this in the Health and Wellness forum. Colorado, with its strong support of individual rights, seems a perfect state to have it as law. If I lived in the state, I would probably vote Yes.

The general consensus from the other thread is that most people would utilize such a right if needed.

Would You Be More Or Less Likely to Utilize the Death With Dignity Law If You Had A Devastating Diagnosis

Old 08-16-2016, 11:48 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,052,603 times
I'm way in favor of right to die legislation - nationwide - as a basic RIGHT, especially us seniors under Medicare.

I intend that I will not die rotting of cancer in some fetid nursing home hell-hole like my Dad. I've seen others of my older generation go that way and it's disgusting to make people die that way, with tubes and ventilators and bleeding sores. Good grief, we treat our damned pets a whole lot better than that, but we torture old people for weeks or months as their organs shut down and they rasp for every breath.

When we are terminal and all hope is lost, we need a dignified way to turn off the lights and pass away with family and friends gathered around for one last glass of wine and a few laughs.

The usual suspects are fighting this, i.e., religionists....because they own nearly a thousand major hospitals that milk the hell out of Medicare. Stats shows that ONE THIRD of all Medicare spending occurs in the final month of a person's life, i.e., big medicine is bankrupting Medicare keeping terminal patients alive with heroic means that do NOTHING to improve anyone's quality of life. The usual suspects are throwing out ridiculous scare tactics about people being forced by family (or by the nasty old government, of course) to take the pill against their wishes, etc. It's all totally untrue and is just more scare tactics from reactionary types afraid of or opposed to any changes or progress. It's time to move on and pass this legislation.

If I don't have the right to die in a state I'm living in then I'll do it with a gun, on the steps of some church that's fighting against death with dignity.

I've added a private poll to this thread since threads like this are proper candidates for a poll.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-16-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 11:58 AM

Where I currently live, in Massachusetts, the law lost by ONE point in the last referendum, thanks to the over-influence of the Catholic Church. Since then, there was the example of the brave Brittany Murphy out West and I think opinions have moved. I would be thrilled to have this end-of-life option wherever I'm living, and didn't think I'd see it come up in Colorado. Like most medical workers, I have always wanted this option, understanding the ifs/ands/buts involved. I do think the experiences in the states that went ahead and voted yes shows that the arguments against have been disproved.

I have worked in hospice and healthcare most of my life. I was so sorry this option was not available in NJ when my father had a terminal diagnosis at age 87 and was talking about hanging himself. I even thought of snitching some regular insulin and injecting him but worried about getting caught. I'm sure the good people of Colorado would use and not abuse this option as have the people of the other "yes" states.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Where I currently live, in Massachusetts, the law lost by ONE point in the last referendum, thanks to the over-influence of the Catholic Church. Since then, there was the example of the brave Brittany Murphy out West and I think opinions have moved. I would be thrilled to have this end-of-life option wherever I'm living, and didn't think I'd see it come up in Colorado. Like most medical workers, I have always wanted this option, understanding the ifs/ands/buts involved. I do think the experiences in the states that went ahead and voted yes shows that the arguments against have been disproved.

I have worked in hospice and healthcare most of my life. I was so sorry this option was not available in NJ when my father had a terminal diagnosis at age 87 and was talking about hanging himself. I even thought of snitching some regular insulin and injecting him but worried about getting caught. I'm sure the good people of Colorado would use and not abuse this option as have the people of the other "yes" states.
Thank you so much for that info.

Here's a story in today's paper that perfectly sums up what I tried to say. Here's the key excerpt:
"Davis had been diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease, a merciless illness that renders muscles unusable and speech unrecognizable. Davis did not want to experience death the way the disease typically demands, her family and friends said; she wanted to celebrate her life — eating favorite foods, listening to favorite music and reliving favorite memories with those who meant the most to her — then slip away surrounded by love and support."

Old 08-16-2016, 07:16 PM

I think I misspoke- wasn't the young woman who publicized her suicide option Brittany Maynard, not Murphy? Anyway, I do think she had a great impact.

Everyone I'm related to has died of or recovered (two) from cancer. The thought of neurological disease... my worst nightmare. I am so glad to see that people see Colorado as a place valuing individual rights. I really look forward to becoming a contributing resident. Twenty months to go.
And so, on to work. On the dementia service, a reminder that there are much worse things than the end of life, to me, anyway.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think I misspoke- wasn't the young woman who publicized her suicide option Brittany Maynard, not Murphy? Anyway, I do think she had a great impact.

Everyone I'm related to has died of or recovered (two) from cancer. The thought of neurological disease... my worst nightmare. I am so glad to see that people see Colorado as a place valuing individual rights. I really look forward to becoming a contributing resident. Twenty months to go.
And so, on to work. On the dementia service, a reminder that there are much worse things than the end of life, to me, anyway.
You did not misspeak, that well-known case was indeed Brittany Maynard, who had terminal brain cancer. I saw one of my Mom's favorite uncle's die of brain cancer at WVU Hospital in Morgantown, WV back in the late 1960s and it was a terrible sight. He suffered terribly and it was terrible for my Mom (and I) to see him like that.

I saw my uncle die of throat cancer in 1965 at Montebello State Hospital in Baltimore (he was penniless and had no wife or kids). His throat was swollen shut, all he could do was chew ice, and he essentially starved to death, weighing about 80 pounds when he died. He was a cantankerous one, drank and smoke and reminded me so much of Humphrey Bogart.

I don't want to go the way those two relatives did. I don't want all those medical resources and funds allocated to me when others who can be saved need them, and all I want is for people to just have the choice. I don't know why this has to be so hard...but I'll keep sending my donations to Compassion and Choices to fight for this.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:23 PM

16,506 posts, read 20,904,171 times
I'm with BDL and Mike on this. My dad passed at 72 years of age and his last couple years was just ungodly painful. He was not a drinker but did smoke. When he passed he was shriveled up to just over a hundred pounds. Like Mike stated, above, it was tough on the family.

In my neighborhood we have a guy who is only 33 years old and he's suffering from ALS. To not be able to feed yourself, to clothe yourself, to take care of yourself. He can still speak. And that's it.

One has to make a lot of choices in life and some of those choices are painful. But the very last choice you make in life should be yours and yours alone.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-16-2016 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 10:25 PM

603 posts, read 732,647 times
Absolutely for it, this is a basic human right.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:12 AM

56 posts, read 51,785 times
I work in health care and I think most people I know in the profession quietly support the idea of death with dignity. Unfortunately "Dignity" is not a medical term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado