U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:46 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,882,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post

Well since I am not a resident yet I am looking for recreational, I wouldnt be able to use my CA medical card there would I? I doubt it. CA is very relaxed about it and so the only place I probably dont take a vape pen is the kids' school. Everywhere else its being puffed on. Will I get harassed in CO if I go with the same attitude?
Many businesses do drug screens prior to hire and/or sporadically during employment. They are legal and you can be fired for having marijuana in your system.

Something to think about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 10:19 AM

4,657 posts, read 1,326,609 times
You're looking at around 60 during the day and 30 or so at night at that time, at least on the high plains here along the Front Range-it'll be cooler in the mountains and you'll most likely encounter snow. Most of the leaves will have already fallen off the deciduous trees as well.

As far as your work question, as most people have already noted, your best bet for finding work is along the Front Range area. I'd suggest looking at Larimer County-Fort Collins and Loveland. The region is large enough to support a variety of employment, close to Denver, yet also very close to a ton of outdoor recreation without being 'in the city'.

We moved here from SoCal, too, and personally, I don't understand why people would move to Colorado and live in Denver, or seek out such an urban experience, other than the work factor. If you have some liquidity and time to search employment, I'd skip the Front Range altogether as far as living and head straight to an area such as Salida.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:40 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,065 times
Quote:
... flying into Denver and checking out possible relocation towns for young family. We have never been and he is already head over heels.
Head over heels, and never have been here? That sure is getting "the cart before the horse". Regardless, look for anti-CA opinion and scenery that is at least a few steps down (compared to CA). Your summers will be shorter compared to CA, so be ready for them to go by quicker.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-30-2016 at 04:00 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 05:04 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,489,213 times
My best friend visited during the last week of October one year, and we had a snowstorm! It was in the 40s most of the time, but she was cranky about that, even if she was amazed at how quickly it melted.

Basically, in October, bring layers. Jackets, sweatshirts, t-shirts. It's cold as often as it's warm.

But I'm from Jersey. To me, the dry cold that you have here is nowhere near as bad as the cold damp of a New Jersey winter, which just seeps into your bones. It's brutal!

Old 08-30-2016, 06:03 PM

132 posts, read 84,125 times
Quote:
Thank you for being so informative ~

I live in a town now with a population of 35k and that is small town here so I guess I am looking for more towards the 500- 5k side.... I live in LA suburbs.

Well since I am not a resident yet I am looking for recreational, I wouldnt be able to use my CA medical card there would I? I doubt it. CA is very relaxed about it and so the only place I probably dont take a vape pen is the kids' school. Everywhere else its being puffed on. Will I get harassed in CO if I go with the same attitude?

I have no plans as of yet. We are arriving in Denver and checking out about 10 small towns, I know Westcliff is a definite possibility for my husband however I am thinking that may be too remote for me to commute to an office job.

Thank you again for all the help!
I didn't try to use my CA. card on my visit last Oct. during Halloween last year; doubt it would work. As for Hotels and the like...just be smart about it. You could be charged a cleaning fee by the hotels if you're in a non-smoking room and it wreaks of weed upon checkout. Bring some cologne or perfume and use the bathroom, and don't do anything day of check out; flush all waste and you should be fine. Vape pens are harmless, no odor...outside is fine, inside restaurants and the like use the bathroom.

We came back the first week of November and got a dusting of snow on our way to the Airport. I was hoping for a storm earlier in our stay but it didn't happen, lol.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:56 PM

63 posts, read 64,417 times
If you're thinking about Westcliffe, indeed that will be rather remote. Beautiful, that can't be denied. I grew up in a town of 800 but it was only 15 miles to a small city of 27,000.

If you're considering this far south in CO, consider these towns in Pueblo County: Rye/Colorado City, Beulah and the St. Charles Mesa. The first two are at 6000 to 7000 feet and they will get some snow in the winter. Not enough to support a ski slope, for which you can be thankful. The St. Charles Mesa is an unincorporated area east of Pueblo, and at 4500 feet, the climate is close to Albuquerque.

Look-up climate stats here: Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado