Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

Married couple will be going to Colorado, flying into Denver and checking out possible relocation towns for young family. We have never been and he is already head over heels. I on the other hand am a little hesitant.... #1 Weather, #2 rural suburbs, #420 acceptability (I know it's legal). We have a 6 & 7 year old so i need good elementary schools. We love the outdoors and would love to live far from city however I work in an office and would need to find a new job out there.

What can I expect? Coming from So Cal I know I will be freezing but how freezing, what should I pack? Will we be able to hike & fish still?

Can anyone suggest some smaller towns to live in but still able to commute to city office? I am going in blind. How is the train for going into the cities?

Can you give tips on the 420 acceptability? The hotel descriptions make it seem like it's illegal still. What are the general 'rules'?

Where can we go to for some nightlife? Nothing club-y but maybe some breweries or if there are events/festivals we should check out? I am bummed we are missing the Oktoberfest by a couple weeks.

All tips/suggestions are welcome ~ Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 03:08 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
There is year round hiking and fishing, but at certain times you may need to be more careful where you go if you aren't weather prepared. It is hard to say what late October will be like - it can be almost summery or it can be snowy or most anything in between - you'll have to check the forecast closer to your arrival. This time of year pack some fall clothes - i.e. layers to take you down to freezing temps at night and potentially up to 80s at day.

How small is a small town to you? 50000? 5000? 500? What is "city" to you? 250000? 1 million?

As for marijuana - medical marijuana is pretty much universal if you have a prescription, but as for recreational some municipalities or counties don't give licenses to shops or only to very few, so it is not easily obtainable everywhere. You cannot partake in public. You can get DUI if you drive under the influence.

Train for going into cities? Does not exist in most places. You should plan on having your own transportation.

There are breweries and festivals almost everywhere. If you give us a better idea of your plans when it gets close there may be some specific suggestions.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:38 PM

Thank you for being so informative ~

I live in a town now with a population of 35k and that is small town here so I guess I am looking for more towards the 500- 5k side.... I live in LA suburbs.

Well since I am not a resident yet I am looking for recreational, I wouldnt be able to use my CA medical card there would I? I doubt it. CA is very relaxed about it and so the only place I probably dont take a vape pen is the kids' school. Everywhere else its being puffed on. Will I get harassed in CO if I go with the same attitude?

I have no plans as of yet. We are arriving in Denver and checking out about 10 small towns, I know Westcliff is a definite possibility for my husband however I am thinking that may be too remote for me to commute to an office job.

Thank you again for all the help!

Old 08-26-2016, 03:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
For the most part, office jobs will be in the larger towns and cities. 80% of the people in Colorado live along the Front Range (of the Rockies), from Ft. Collins, Pueblo, basically the I-25 corridor. This includes the cities of Ft. Collins, Loveland, Longmont (Boulder), Denver and its burbs, Colorado Springs and Pueblo, and some smaller towns in between.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-26-2016 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Sp

Old 08-26-2016, 04:05 PM

which of those cities have moreless what I am looking for? I work in construction as an office manager....

Old 08-26-2016, 04:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I would think any of the ones I mentioned. Denver is the big kahuna.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:08 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Regarding the 420 issue, private businesses like hotels can still ban the use of marijuana and strolling down the street smoking is just as illegal as drinking beer on the street. However, with the various vaping devices available, one can still indulge in their non smoking room and no one will be the wiser. I`m giving a tourist`s perspective on this as I`m not a Colorado resident, just someone who has spent time there this summer.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:43 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Regarding the 420 issue, private businesses like hotels can still ban the use of marijuana and strolling down the street smoking is just as illegal as drinking beer on the street.
Also, be sure if you do relocate here, check your lease agreement to see if it is allowed.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:08 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
In late October it is generally low 50s to low 60s for highs and freezing or 20s at night.

For smallish towns near bigger ones for employment, you might look at Laporte, Lyons, Idaho Springs, Conifer, Sedalia, Monument, Woodland Park, Penrose, Poncha Springs / Salida, Pagosa Springs, Bayfield, Mancos, Rifle, Palisade...
Montrose and Craig might be worth a look too. Bigger than these others. Not really that near to bigger cities but some do commute into Steamboat Springs, maybe Grand Junction.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
your 420 acceptance in community and apartments is going to be Boulder centric. and a few small towns nearby.

Many apartments and small towns will not be so welcoming.

Bring money (enough to get by for a yr or so. To find your spot in nirvana, it will take some looking on your part) By far most Colorado cities / schools / employers / apartments are not out to embrace 420. This is a reality, come prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado