U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times

Advertisements

Good plan to get west of Denver the first night, and plan to be back to airport early. Friday afternoons are worst in big cities near recreation.

Consider a round trip route to and from Steamboat. You have several scenic options.

You could also consider a Friday visit to Estes Park or FtCollins area, and a Friday Afternoon route to DEN that does not include driving across Denver. Inbound backroads from north are not too crowded, but from west are real crowded.

On a Friday... Give yourself at least 2 hrs AFTER you drop rental car. DEN TSA can be a bottleneck, + tram to terminals, rental car shuttle was 45 min delayed last time I was in DEN.(driver dinner break)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 09:12 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Good plan to get west of Denver the first night, and plan to be back to airport early. Friday afternoons are worst in big cities near recreation.

Consider a round trip route to and from Steamboat. You have several scenic options.

You could also consider a Friday visit to Estes Park or FtCollins area, and a Friday Afternoon route to DEN that does not include driving across Denver. Inbound backroads from north are not too crowded, but from west are real crowded.

On a Friday... Give yourself at least 2 hrs AFTER you drop rental car. DEN TSA can be a bottleneck, + tram to terminals, rental car shuttle was 45 min delayed last time I was in DEN.(driver dinner break)
Inbound roads are not busy on Friday. Outbound roads are busy on Friday. Inbound roads are busy on Sunday afternoon, although I used the toll lane last Sunday afternoon and it was well worth the $6, to the point I would call it a game changer for the weekend commute.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:28 AM

Toll charge will roll across everyday of rental if in denver, Steamboat or UT. (Depending on transponder) . Renter will get a very unpleasant letter from NJ t(r)oll collector for 470.

From my weekly experience getting to airport... all metro roads may be problematic when rushing to DEN airport to catch a Friday Afternoon flight.

Inbound from the north or east includes very few metro roads. From west or south it is necessary to deal with Friday afternoon traffic (rushing home or rushing away). Add an hour, or spend that hour in a more delightful spot.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:33 AM

86,886 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:

You could also consider a Friday visit to Estes Park or Ft Collins area, and a Friday Afternoon route to DEN that does not include driving across Denver. Inbound backroads from north are not too crowded, but from west are real crowded.

287 from the north is crowded most all the time; Friday early afternoon would probably not be *too* bad. If they go to Ft. Collins, at some point they have to get on I-25 to go to DIA. If they go to Estes on Friday morning, they could take 36 to 66, then get on I-25 and avoid the westernmost part of the metro. If they really had time, they could take 36 into Boulder, just to see it, then take 36 east to I-25. 36 does become 4 lane, limited access at about Baseline in Boulder. 36 can vary. Usually not too bad early Friday afternoon.

All in all, I think your idea is good.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:46 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Toll charge will roll across everyday of rental if in denver, Steamboat or UT. (Depending on transponder) . Renter will get a very unpleasant letter from NJ t(r)oll collector for 470.

From my weekly experience getting to airport... all metro roads may be problematic when rushing to DEN airport to catch a Friday Afternoon flight.

Inbound from the north or east includes very few metro roads. From west or south it is necessary to deal with Friday afternoon traffic (rushing home or rushing away). Add an hour, or spend that hour in a more delightful spot.
would not worry about tolls unless they are planning to commute back on Sunday afternoon, which it sounds like they aren't. I just threw that in there because I could not believe what a difference it made last week.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:55 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,191,290 times
Quote:
Stealth ... again, you're back at peddling horshi*.

We had relatives come to the Denver area for some family business, and Mrs Sun also had to commute to Arvada numerous times in the last quarter for these events.

All of those trips utilized the Toll roads of the area.

Subsequently, we received a routine billing in the mail from CO to pay up for the toll fees. They were routine charges on the order of approx $4 per trip. No big deal.

and our family members got routine billings from CO which they paid, too. No big deal for them, either.

All chose the toll roads of the area because it was a far more pleasant and traffic free trip to reach their destinations in the area. We commute from the Cheyenne area to Arvada, Ken Caryl, or DEN ... so use the toll roads as appropriate to avoid the traffic. With numerous vehicles, the CO folk have no difficulty capturing our license plates and sending us the bill in due course. No unpleasantness ever associated with this.

PS: c'mon, man ... claiming that you drive "10 cars per day" (on an automotive thread about sludge in engines left for extended periods of time not runnig) out of your fleet of over 50 cars and only keep a car at each one of your remote rental properties scattered around the country which you access via cheap flights on SW airlines ... the dichotomy and conflicts in your claims are past ludicrous. Especially when you've spent so much of the last year ... at least you've claimed so ... traveling around the world, everywhere from NZ to Ireland to wherever else your travels have taken you and Mrs SR to gather wool fibers. You sure in he** didn't drive a one of your USA based vehicles, let alone "10" per day when you were out of the country for an extended trip. I live on a ranch where farm chores can have me needing to use a transportation vehicle, a tow vehicle, and perhaps another vehicle each day ... so using even 3 or 4 vehicles per day for legitimate purposes is a sometimes event. But "10" every day? BS. pure BS. you missed your calling as a fiction writer, wasting all those years in the 60's-70's as an over-the-road driver with a most vivid imagination as you racked up your (claimed) "2 million miles of driving in 30 years".

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-02-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 03:37 PM

The rental car agency will be your best source and can confirm. None of my 470 toll road rental car charges have been sent from CO.

As you might expect and should know yourself, someone with 30 vehicles probably has quite a few employees. I personally only drive a car and couple trucks daily, but none for me this year. Employees, kids, friends and family use my fleet at will.

Even at today's much reduced legal driving hours, CDL solo drivers knock out a million miles every 7 yrs. (not including personal driving, which is usually plenty) 30 of my CDL yrs were before 2000.

If you are strifed with reality... "Ignore" works great. I have no tales, just a long history. You will survive. (And even better using ignore)

Old 09-02-2016, 05:02 PM

RE: 470....

Whatever works for OP.... It is only a 15 minute part of entire trip.

Maybe it has changed for the better, but.... Basically....(usual rental agreement) If you rent a transponder, you pay per day to car company for the that service, ~$6

Or.... Without a transponder, AND if you use 470,, the toll management agency (not colorado) has charged me a daily toll over term of rental, tho I only used 470 for 20 minutes, and the other 10 days the car was not even in Colorado. Car had a not so obvious at 1am clear warning sticker in UL of windscreen. Rental agency had a notice at counter, but I don't go to counter, as keys and contract are in my cars, no need for counter.

I only made that mistake once. I seldom have need for 470, tho it can save 10 - 20 min from North. You can take 85, or 7 and Tower Rd. If you have -5 extra minutes, otherwise pay the price of admission ( much simpler if you hold the registration or a w/o rental car).

4x through Den via rental car / month. For me

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-02-2016 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,191,290 times
"Express Toll" Colorado is the sole agency that does all the electronic monitoring and billing for the Toll Roads in Colorado. It is a cashless toll road system, they've retired the concept of toll booths and operators collecting fees on the roads.

You can go to their website to set up an account, pay your toll bills, or get information in advance about the Toll road segments & fees. There is a discount fee structure for Express Toll members, and they can set up multiple vehicles per family or just one vehicle as needed.

Note that this is strictly a Colorado based agency doing the monitoring and billing for the use of the Toll Roads in Colorado.

With a rental car, as our relatives recently repeatedly used in DEN to Arvada, Ken Caryl, Chatfield and up to Broomfield and area travels during their stays, the convenience of the rental agency transponder was well justified when they saved a lot of time commuting around the Denver metro area. Denver rush hour traffic in the AM & PM was a huge conflict for them as they assisted family members to meet Dr's appointments, real estate agency meetings & closings, and to visit ailing family members in nursing homes/hospice facilities. The convergence of multiple family members in medical emergencies/end of life care, deaths, estate distributions/disposals, sales of several residences (all listed and under contract within days) to wrap up Colorado family affairs ... all required a lot of local daily travel across a wide area of the Denver metro. The time savings and ability to get around with less stress due to not being trapped in slow moving traffic was well worth the nominal expense. And, as mentioned, Mrs Sun was able to drive our cars or pick-up trucks in the area knowing that the Express Toll Colorado would capture our out-of-state license plates and send us a bill ... yes, it was more expensive per trip segment than if we'd gotten a transponder, but it was convenient especially in light of not knowing what vehicle she'd need to head down to Denver with (a car or one of our trucks to assist with moving furniture or delivering estate items to Goodwill on the family schedule as opposed to the uncertainty of when the donated items might be picked up).

As well, since we are the last remaining members of the family in this region of the country, many tasks of wrapping up the family affairs in Colorado fell to us. This required numerous trips over the last 8 months for Mrs Sun to deal with elderly/failing health family members, preparing for sale and selling houses, and disposing of household estates. The convenience of driving an appropriate vehicle for her various trips throughout the Denver metro area, sometimes with repeated trips from northern areas to southwestern areas, or picking up relatives from DEN was appreciated. 20 or 30 minutes saved in a given trip and without the stress of stop-and-go snarled rush hour traffic was well worth the cost of an ExpressToll bill in the mail to follow her trips. Had I not had the opportunity to use these toll roads on a couple of the trips per Mrs Sun's insistence, I wouldn't have known how beneficial they could be given today's traffic densities in the area. It's an easy-peasy deal for us ... ExpressToll captures our out-of-state license plates and sends us a bill.

From their Website:

"If you are not an ExpressToll customer you will automatically create a License Plate Toll account when you drive on E-470 or CDOT's Express Lanes. Cameras photograph the front and rear license plates and a statement is sent to the vehicle owner's address on file with the Division of Motor Vehicles.
1. Vehicles drive through camera-operated tolling points.​ Tolling points are equipped to take photographs of front and rear license plates.
2. E-470 matches the vehicle’s license plate to the registered owner’s ​​address filed with the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or the appropriate state agency.*​ 3. A License Plate Toll statement is mailed to the registered owner’s address for payment within 30 days.​
Click here​ for the License Plate Toll billing process.
*Colorado law requires drivers to update their vehicle registration information within 30 days of relocation.​

Does your vehicle have a temporary license plate tag? The Colorado Temporary Registration Document Standards have recently changed. Please ensure your temp tag is properly mounted. Click here to learn more.

The operational cost for E-470 to track and bill License Plate Toll customers is significantly higher than it is for ExpressToll customers. Therefore, the toll rate for a License Plate Toll customer is higher. ​ Click here​ to open an ExpressToll account today and pay the reduced toll rate."

While the quote above cites E-470, a glance at the website reflects that ExpressToll is the Colorado agency that handles all of the toll roads in the Denver area.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-02-2016 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado