U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:08 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,065 times

Advertisements

Maybe if the registration fees were not so high - like 3.5 times higher - people would be more zealous and diligent about getting the new plates quicker. I don't know of anyone who would be eager to begin paying such a big increase, especially if they renewed their registration only months ago in a different location. We can get high and mighty and talk about rules and such, but people tend to spend based on rationale and preferences. Especially so in cases like this when it's not a life and death matter.

Singling out Texas residents is just a baseless cheap shot. I mostly see CA and WY plates among the established newer residents. But even so, I'm not going to descend to finger-pointing, ranting, and other childish behaviors.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 09-01-2016 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 12:18 PM

758 posts, read 581,635 times
^ Even then, Id say I see more Illinois, Florida, Maryland, and Mass plates than the stereotypical CA or TX ones.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:28 PM

6,525 posts, read 10,194,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Maybe if the registration fees were not so high - like 3.5 times higher - people would be more zealous and diligent about getting the new plates quicker. I don't know of anyone who would be eager to begin paying such a big increase, especially if they renewed their registration only months ago in a different location. We can get high and mighty and talk about rules and such, but people tend to spend based on rationale and preferences. Especially so in cases like this when it's not a life and death matter.

Singling out Texas residents is just a baseless cheap shot. I mostly see CA and WY plates among the established newer residents. But even so, I'm not going to descend to finger-pointing, ranting, and other childish behaviors.
So you're excusing the behavior? I'm sorry but if someone knowingly registers their car illegally in another state because they're too much of a gd cheapskate to register it here that person is a Class A a*****e.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:54 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,306,510 times
Why does it have to be 90 days in Colorado to change plates from old location? I moved to Arizona from Colorado in June and was required to change my license plates immediately or soon as possible. Maybe Colorado needs to change their laws and make it sooner rather than later.

You'll see less out of state plates screwing up your roads. I'd suggest the state to lower the cost of registration, and people wouldn't wait long to change over.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:04 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,896,352 times
Many of the military people choose Texas plates because they are remarkably inexpensive.

There are so many of those folks in Colorado Springs that I bet the cops don't try to enforce registration laws. The illegal ones just blend in.

When I lived in Arizona and worked at Motorola, the cops would cruise the company parking lot and hand out tickets. Arizona gave residents only 10 days to register.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:31 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,052,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Many of the military people choose Texas plates because they are remarkably inexpensive. ... snip ...
IIRC the big reason is that TX has no state income tax, so military people with TX as their "home of record" and live in COLO while serving in the military pay no income tax in either state. Also, as Federal installations, military bases do not pay local property taxes. If that's not the case someone please advise me....

Otherwise, civilians who move here permanently are supposed to get the local plates, licenses, etc, and if they don't I think there's a way to drop a dime on them so they pay their share of the cost of government.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,196,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So you're excusing the behavior? I'm sorry but if someone knowingly registers their car illegally in another state because they're too much of a gd cheapskate to register it here that person is a Class A a*****e.
Legally speaking, I won't actually need to get CO plates until March 2017 - According to the DMV website, you need to register your car within 90 days if you reside continuously in CO for 90 days or have gained employment in CO. I'm working remotely for a company based in Chicago and I'll be taking vacations / heading home to IL in September, November, and December -- So technically, I have until 90 days after I get back from my Xmas back home, so the end of March.

This *could* apply to others as well.

As far as being a cheapskate, I'm personally not too keen on spending another $300 when I just paid IL $160 or so for registration and a title when I bought my car in June, so if I don't have to legally register it until the end of March, I might as well drag out the process of registering until then to get the most bang for my buck.

PS: Thanks MN_Ski for the link for the birth certificate!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:06 PM

132 posts, read 84,125 times
I'm moving from California later this year and just registered my 2008 Mazda (July). I will be working remotely out of L.A.,11 days a month. My plan was to register it right away and get Colorado plates as fast as possible; figure it won't be more than $150. Am I way off?

As for registering it right away, right thing to do and it should shorten the anti California thing a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or