U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 2,372 times

Advertisements

Looking for a little help to narrow down my choices and find which area's will be a good fit for my lifestyle and also job opportunities.

I'm a 28yo single male currently living in Tennessee. I'm wanting to move because I need change in my life and I've always been drawn to Colorado. I'm really into fitness so being able to take advantage of all the hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding etc would really fit my lifestyle. I do not have a degree but I am a certified personal trainer so living in a location where I could find work nearby is important. Also being that I'm in my 20's and single finding a area where there's a younger crowd would be a plus.

I've been looking at quite a few area's and have been trying to narrow it down from this list. If you guys have any suggestions on places in or around these area's that may be a good fit. My cousin may be moving with me and we will be renting an apartment most likely. Our budget will be $1500.

Broomfield
Louisville
Longmont
Loveland - My only concern is if I find a job closer to Denver I'll have a long commute.
Littleton
And I've considered Colorado Springs but haven't looked into it much yet.

Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 02:05 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,616,706 times
If your job is in Denver and you like mountain areas then maybe Lakewood, Arvada, Wheat Ridge or Golden you be good for you two and well with-in your budget.

I would suggest getting something close to where you work if you work in Denver. With a budget like that you should be able to live in many places in Denver.

You could also find a 2 bedroom apartment Congress Park, Park Hill or Glendale for that price. Apartment rents are luckily declining a bit as of late as the vacancy rates have increased.

They are older suburbs, but close to both downtown, mountain areas and Interstate 70.

Rents are decreasing, especially with 2 bedrooms so you likely find something modest for $1200 in Wheat Ridge or Southern Arvada.

Broomfield is expensive because there are alot of jobs and very modern.

Louisville is in Boulder County and that commands a huge premium but close to Boulder.

Longmont is a long distance to downtown Denver if your going to commute. It is very close to Boulder and half the price. It has a bit more of blue-collar reputation like Greeley but is close to Fort Collins, Boulder and about half an hour from downtown.

Loveland is a suburb of Fort Collins which is an hour from Denver. It is more retiree oriented but very quiet, clean and safe.

Littleton has the pricery southern part and the older northern part. It is close to downtown Denver and you could find something well under your price range.

Colorado Springs is a whole seperate area. It is mainly for retirees and people with large families. The northside of Colorado Springs is the nice part but nearly as expensive as Denver and the southern part of the city has some of the worst neighborhoods in the state of Colorado.

I can't think of a better city for retirees who are introverted who like large homes for rock-bottom prices then Colorado Springs, for single twenty-somethings it would be a very uncommon choice to say the least.

The mountain views are incredible down in Colorado Springs but there are no ski-resorts but you can cross country-ski near the area.

Colorado Springs though economy is heavily government oriented though.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 2,372 times
I appreciate the lengthy and descriptive response. I'm going to check out some of the other area's you mentioned. I would certainly love being able to going out on a balcony and see the mountains. I certainly don't want to live in the city of Denver. I'm just not a big city person. My current city has about 35k people and is about 30 minutes from Nashville TN, which I would never live in. I'd rather have more of a nature view then just being surrounded by buildings and sky scrapers. As far as jobs go it just depends how the fitness scene is out there. I don't mind driving up to 40 min for a job. I'm going out there knowing I may not land a personal training job right away. I also have operational supervisor experience but don't know what kind of warehouse jobs are out there. I also like to occasionally smoke cannabis and grew it for over 10 years so perhaps I could find a job in that field as well.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:42 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,616,706 times
Most of the warehouses are going to be in the Northeastern part of the city. More industrial space, closer to the airport and rail.

I would recommend Wheat Ridge or Arvada even though you don't like big cities. They are quiet, residential and orderly western suburbs near mountains that are near the interstate that goes to the mountains and warehouses in NE Denver.

With Wheat Ridge and Arvada you are in close proximity to jobs, mountains, foothills and the mountain views are very good.

Since they are the western suburbs, they are adjacent to foothill areas. They are very quiet and mainly residential.

An apartment can be had for $1200 or so for a 2 bedroom and you would be along the Interstate close to warehouse jobs.

Golden has sort of a foothills view, with great views but is very expensive because of the engineering university.

The thing about metro Denver is general is that areas like Evergreen, Conifer and Gennessee that are lower density close to the city, but they are mainly single-family homes and very expensive.

Many people want to live close to the city and be in the foothills, so there is a huge premium for living in-between the city and mountains.

Idaho Springs is more affordable but it is quite a distance and when it snows it would be difficult to get to Denver in a timely even though it is along the interstate. Although, apartment available is few and far between and it is a more historic town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or