U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:24 PM

958 posts, read 791,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Sounds like you are putting the horse before the cart. Find a job, then find a house.
Agreed. Cos and ft collins have it work but mostly not comparable to denver/boulder metros. Also since you are somewhat handy, op, if you are skilled enough for conversions, i bet you could find a fixer upper in longmont that fits your needs if you are willing to put in the elbow grease? Longmont really screams out to me in terms of what you are looking for. Good proximity to boulder tech jobs, yet far cheaper than boulder. Very nice little town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 12:30 PM

958 posts, read 791,555 times
Just found 66 homes between longmont, frederick and firestone between 375 and 450k with 4br. Frederick and firestone are not as nice as longmont but not bad places by any means. I think that would be a good area to look, op. Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 09-13-2016 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: lol, but no need for that

Old 09-13-2016, 12:36 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
OP, the area you found in Colorado Springs would be my first choice for you south.

Longmont would be my first choice for you north. I would think Louisville/Lafayette would be out of your budget.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:54 PM

191 posts, read 134,643 times
In general, those crowded new suburbs have more open space than you might think. Every new development features community playgrounds and park greens. It's a legal requirement as well as a marketing necessity. And most are convenient to off-highway bike and pedestrian trails. Every stream drainage has its trail, or will have, as development spreads. Flash floods render those zones unbuildable anyhow. But we've developed a land use ethic that favors cyclists and walkers. My cousins in suburban Atlanta have larger yards, but that's about the only place they can walk, unless the join the country club.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Just found 66 homes between longmont, frederick and firestone between 375 and 450k with 4br. Frederick and firestone are not as nice as longmont but not bad places by any means. I think that would be a good area to look, op. Moderator cut: see note
I hear that houses in Longmont are getting snapped up with cash offers, and one has little chance of getting in with a conventional loan. But that was just one person I talked to.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 6,560 times
Back from our scouting trip!

COS: A bit bigger than I would have liked, too much urban sprawl especially in the north, and no small-town feel. But housing is more affordable than the northern towns, and I can get work with a defense contractor. We really liked the Victorians in Old Colorado City. COS seems drier and less lush than the north, with little farmland. Pikes Peak is nice and close, but does not look nearly as beautiful as RMNP.

Longmont: Nice, small-town feel. Looks like a hard place to get into with a hot housing market. Maybe too sleepy for me, but within commuting distance of Boulder. RMNP/Estes Park is very close.

Fort Collins: Our favorite! What a cool little city. Great downtown vibe, college for when the kids grow up. RMNP/Estes Park not as close as Longmont, but still very close. Farms/rural space/open land less than 3 miles from downtown. But, too far to commute to Boulder/Denver.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:46 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,169,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timschroeder View Post

COS: A bit bigger than I would have liked, too much urban sprawl especially in the north, and no small-town feel. But housing is more affordable than the northern towns, and I can get work with a defense contractor. We really liked the Victorians in Old Colorado City. COS seems drier and less lush than the north, with little farmland. Pikes Peak is nice and close, but does not look nearly as beautiful as RMNP.

Longmont: Nice, small-town feel. Looks like a hard place to get into with a hot housing market. Maybe too sleepy for me, but within commuting distance of Boulder. RMNP/Estes Park is very close.

Fort Collins: Our favorite! What a cool little city. Great downtown vibe, college for when the kids grow up. RMNP/Estes Park not as close as Longmont, but still very close. Farms/rural space/open land less than 3 miles from downtown. But, too far to commute to Boulder/Denver.
RMNP is beautiful, but it is not near a major city so you're not going to see that view everyday or even every week. Unless maybe if you lived in Estes Park. On the other hand, in Springs, you see Pikes Peak pretty much every day. The small town feel areas for Colorado Springs include the west side, Manitou, Falcon, the Fountain Valley, etc. Precip for north and south Colorado are nearly the same in the long run. Farmland in Colorado Springs is mostly on the east side of town - did you go there? Fort Collins is nice, but pricey, and some people get tired of the college kids at some point. I haven't been to Longmont in 20 years and I think it has changed a lot since then but it seems to be becoming a more popular place to live - a bedroom community to both Denver and Fort Collins areas.

Hope you had a nice visit.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:18 PM

8,816 posts, read 13,576,496 times
Quote:
We come from Orange County concrete suburban hell, crammed in with neighbors on all sides with tiny yards, block walls, and a checkerboard planned street grid.
A lot of the newer neighborhoods even here are crammed tight with small yards. Some don't even really have yards - it's like they've created a step between townhouse and single home.

Quote:
Tree-lined streets, and views of something besides the neighbor's garage would be nice.
You definitely want to look at older neighborhoods then - views depend on the precise neighborhood and position of the house.

Quote:
And this may be too detailed, but I need to convert or build a mother-in-law suite out of a detached garage or other outbuilding, or convert space in the house. I only mention it because some areas are easier to do that in than others.

Many thanks in advance
You may be able to find a home that already has an in-law suite or separate apartment, I noticed several when I was house hunting.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:34 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,575,642 times
I agree with the idea of finding a job first. If you find one in Ft Collins - great, if you can find one in Boulder - just rent for a while. Actually, I would rent first anyway. The housing market is actually slowing down a bit, you may be able to find something within your budget in Longmont.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:36 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,077,790 times
Quote:

Cos proper is nearly half a million people, so it isn't tiny, but there are a lot of very distinct areas within the city. OCC is certainly one of those neighborhoods were a community really thrives. Decent shopping is within minutes by car. A Farmer's Market is very active in the summer months. Some of the best restraunts in town are within walking distance. Several events yearly take place in OCC to include Territory Days and the Good Times Car show. It has its own periodical newspaper, the Westside Pioneer. Coronado High School has a 35 year tradition of a homecoming parade through OCC that includes not just the high school students, but its junior high and elementary school feeders.

Unlike NorCo, there are no major rivers running throuhg Cos. We have two creeks. Up north you have the Big Thompson, Cache la Poudre, Platte, and numerous smaller feeders. There was/is considerably more agriculture in the NorCo area than there is in Cos as a result.

Pikes Peak is no RMNP, but it is a single mountain and has traffic no where near as bad as RMNP. There are limited access areas on the Peak that are pretty darn nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or