Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 03:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
^ I'm starting to realize that a lot of the trails crowds are tourists or visitors. Denver is now a major tourist destination, and a lot of visitors seem to stick to the front range trails closer to Denver.
By far the majority of Colorado trail (and highway crowds) were "tourists and Visitors" from Day 1.

in the 1960's we would count over 100 cars pass our rural CO driveway BEFORE we could pull out onto the highway. (Big Thompson Canyon / Estes Park). Of course it was nice that many tourists would stop and buy Cherries! (In 30# tin cans)
During the 1920s, the Loveland area was known as the region best adapted to raising cherries in Colorado. There were 10,000 acres dedicated to the crop, and trees covered areas now occupied by Orchards Shopping Center and Cherry Hills Estates. In addition to housing the largest cherry orchard west of the Mississippi, Loveland boasted three commercial canning companies and was operating cherry processing factories during the height of the industry. These companies are Kuner-Empson, Loveland Canning, and Cherry Products Corporation.

The cherry cider industry flourished in Loveland as well. Mrs. A.V. Benson and Neville’s fruit ciders were known throughout the United States for producing delicious fruit cider. Thirsty tourists in Model Ts helped launch what once was one of Northern Colorado’s most flourishing roadside industries.

Loveland Museum Hosts Cherry Pie Celebration on July 16 | Loveland Museum Gallery

And the Stanley Steamer (F.O Stanley) built a hotel, improved roads, and Colo 'tourist' towns blossomed.
Colorado History - F. O. Stanley's steam car helped create Estes Park - Colorado Gambler | Colorado Gambler

goes back 110 yrs. (and before)

Colorado land now grows houses, instead of industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 06:39 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post
I need to pay closer attention to the license plates! I bet you're right, though. I've seen a lot more out-of-state plates the last couple years.
Those are people who moved and and don't want to pay our ridiculous registration fees

Old 09-09-2016, 02:39 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
I was born in Denver and have lived in CO for 47 years.

We have mountains, just like most of the Mountain West.

We have plains, just like the most of the central Midwest.

We have a large metropolis in the north-central part of the state that offers good employment opportunities.

We are generally a semi-arid area with minimal rainfall. It's very dry but we are subject to extreme weather at times.

Our surface transportation system is getting overwhelmed by the rapid influx of folks moving here.

In about 6 years, when I retire, I'm looking at moving out. You can have my spot.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:17 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
22 Yr old, looking for change of scenery?

1) NZ (very nice, especially south Island, look into work near Queenstown or Invercargill)
2) Australia

1- 2 yr work visa for those under age 31, it would do wonders for your resume and world experience.

Now is a great time of yr to head to southern hemisphere (summer is coming soon!)

From there.... head to Thailand, Cambodia, or Vietnam and teach English (while learning thai ...) A Colorado friend (English major) who did that ended up with a superb international job based in Singapore. (Drafts international trade agreements.)

Colorado is a great place to visit. (lived there for 28 yrs)

For a career move, look to Utah. There is a lot of competition in CO and employers can pay accordingly.

Nice scenery.? (yet in USA)... look into Columbia Falls, Kalispell, Whitefish, MT, Very pretty, next door to Glacier NP, near Canada, not so much competition for jobs, awesome outdoors and skiing venues.

Of all our moves / jobs / adventures. I would not have wanted to miss the international ones (the younger you are the better, best as a single / no kids.... ) International jobs / destinations are plentiful, scenic and interesting, there are 10's of thousands of German young adults doing that gig.

This is great advice. It's very easy to idealize Denver. You imagine stepping outside right onto a beautiful mountain trail, skiing just minutes away, and fun city activities right around the corner. But the reality of daily life is not much different than where you are from. If you rent, an apartment would look just like what you have at home. You'd have a job that would fill your days, and only weekends/days off to take advantage of activities that are actually hours away. Only your rent and expenses would be a lot higher. Years ago I lived in a world-renowned beach town. I quickly learned that visiting beautiful places is a lot more fun than living in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado