U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:44 PM

63 posts, read 64,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
As a Colorado native who went to college in eastern Kansas and travels to St Louis every other month and Kansas City every quarter for business, i see more differences than similarities between Colorado and Missouri.

Missouri is a very Southern state in many ways. Colorado isn't remotely like this.

Culturally they could not be more different. The racial tension that exists in St Louis is simply at a different level than anything I've seen in Denver.

Denver does not have the ethnic diversity that STL does.

Politically, Colorado is much more liberal/libertarian than Missouri.

Neither KC or STL have the museums, theater, or cultural organizations that Denver does.

Recreationally, all I find in Missouri is that people want to go to "The Lake" in the summer and drink beer. There is very little winter recreation to speak of. People don't like to be outside in the winter.

Regarding the departments of transportation in each state, CDOT is being much more aggressive with Public Private Parnerships to fund road construction than MDOT.

Missouri lacks a world class tourist scene. Branson isn't Aspen or Vail.

Health wise, Missouri is obese on par with the south.
The State of Obesity: Missouri Press Release
Again, my perception may be clouded by my location in Fremont County. If you go to the northern Front Range, it feels like a different state. I might suggest there are TWO Colorados.

I can't address all of your points, but on the issue of racial politics a person doesn't have be here very long to know that Colorado was a hotbed of the 1920's KKK. https://history.denverlibrary.org/ne...ot-so-long-ago

Maybe you've seen the old poster "Ski Missouri" depicting a overalls-clad young man with skis stuck in a downhill slope of mud. A cold, clammy 35 degree day is good for throwing another log on the fire and staying inside.

Branson isn't Aspen or Vail, and may God smite me down if I spend a dime in any of these locations.

If a Public Private Partnership to fund road construction yields a scam like E470, I'll take Missouri. The 31 per mile rate is one of the highest of toll roads in the country. That's OK if you enter E470 with full knowledge of that rate. We know we're getting a $20 bill in the mail for our round trip yesterday. But there isn't any advisory signs to inform the uninitiated, and that just isn't right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 10:16 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post
Again, my perception may be clouded by my location in Fremont County. If you go to the northern Front Range, it feels like a different state. I might suggest there are TWO Colorados.

I can't address all of your points, but on the issue of racial politics a person doesn't have be here very long to know that Colorado was a hotbed of the 1920's KKK. https://history.denverlibrary.org/ne...ot-so-long-ago

Maybe you've seen the old poster "Ski Missouri" depicting a overalls-clad young man with skis stuck in a downhill slope of mud. A cold, clammy 35 degree day is good for throwing another log on the fire and staying inside.

Branson isn't Aspen or Vail, and may God smite me down if I spend a dime in any of these locations.

If a Public Private Partnership to fund road construction yields a scam like E470, I'll take Missouri. The 31 per mile rate is one of the highest of toll roads in the country. That's OK if you enter E470 with full knowledge of that rate. We know we're getting a $20 bill in the mail for our round trip yesterday. But there isn't any advisory signs to inform the uninitiated, and that just isn't right.
Yes KKK was active here almost a century ago. Not remotely active or relevant today. Very different than the racial tension currently in STL.

PPP is what paid to add the toll lane to I-70 which has taken a tremendous amount of strain off that commute. Also paid to add the toll lane to US-36, and will eventually pay to redo I-70 through north Denver. Most of the PPP projects are optional toll lanes, not mandatory toll roads. Funding needs to come from somewhere and TABOR won't allow the legislature to raise taxes and the public has been so far unwilling to vote for it. PPP is the only current solution that has shown an ability to get things done.

When I was in college in Kansas people asked if I had ever skied in Missouri. I laughed.

The fact that you have equal disdain for Branson and Aspen does not make them equal places.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
PPP is what paid to add the toll lane to I-70 which has taken a tremendous amount of strain off that commute. Also paid to add the toll lane to US-36, and will eventually pay to redo I-70 through north Denver. Most of the PPP projects are optional toll lanes, not mandatory toll roads. Funding needs to come from somewhere and TABOR won't allow the legislature to raise taxes and the public has been so far unwilling to vote for it. PPP is the only current solution that has shown an ability to get things done.
Again, Missouri and Colorado are alike in that voters have to approve any increase in taxes. Now that Colorado has figured out how to use PPP to pay for improvements, they can "show" Missouri how its done.

Unlike Missouri and Colorado, Iowa isn't saddled with too much democracy. After watching the road network decline over the last ten years, in 2015 Iowa's Legislature passed a 10 per gallon fuel tax increase, which was quickly signed into law by Gov. Branstad. Iowa's gas tax increase working as planned, officials say | The Gazette

Quote:
The fact that you have equal disdain for Branson and Aspen does not make them equal places.
I merely repeated your assertion that Branson isn't Aspen or Vail. I never said they were equal places, although my disdain is equal for all three places.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
How in the world did Missouri get brought up in this thread? I mean, we're talking about winter driving, then snow tires, then comparing Branson to Vail and Aspen?

Shoji Tabuchi would scream, "Show me!"
Actually, I brought it up in the closing line of my original post that "Colorado = Missouri With Mountains, but with less common sense," a statement made with the intent to be an equal opportunity offender.

Thanks for showing me that "Ski Missouri" poster! I tried to do a Google Images search for it, but to no a-vail, or no an-aspen.

Please know that my definition of Iowegian is an ex-pat Iowan in Exile. I came to Colorado not so much for the climate as to enjoy the luxury of having my family live at least a day's drive from a couple of very intrusive relatives, although the climate is a great secondary benefit.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:21 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,926,039 times
WTH does the KKK have to do with Studded tires?

Anyhow, I can't recall seeing anyone with studded tires but it wouldn't surprise me seeing how Colorado is very mountainous. I don't run studded tires on any of our vehicles. I don't think they make a winter or studded tire for my truck but I will install some better non studded winter tires on our outback.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:56 PM

4,860 posts, read 2,236,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The only time they might do anything is when spinning your drive wheel/wheels on the ice and you've already lost at this point.

How many of you realize that you don't have to spin your wheels ever on the snow or ice?

Granted, sometimes you see yourself heading west up Filmore just west of I-25 or cresting Monument Hill and the road is so pitched and so icy that you get sideways and/or fishtail.

The only thing to do here is slow down slow down slow down... with your foot off of the brake pedal... and try to steer out of trouble. Gear down, do what you gotta do.

I see no need for studded snow tires, unless you see yourself driving on your mother-in-law's driveway.

AH; Fillmore & the "unforeseen" potential adverse events of moving the Chestnut street intersection 1 block up the hill W of I25.

When the roads are icy Fillmore turns into a parking lot. It's so futile it would almost be funny if it were not for the fact that I'm on it every morning, M-F at 0645 with a car full of kids trying to get to school.

Thanks to the ever-widening sinkhole on Chestnut I am held captive of Fillmore unless I go all the way south to Uintah, in which case I can pick either Mesa or King street to navigate & pray I'm not behind someone who is trying to tackle the uphill at 5mph.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:18 AM

838 posts, read 522,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post
Are there really that many people using studs? I've lived here all my life (60 years) and the last time I heard someone say they were getting studded tires was probably in the 70's. I've never known anyone who used them in recent memory. Between the improved tires and better traction capabilities of cars these days, who needs 'em?
i have both studded and unstudded

studded is HUGEEE difference when im going out west to atv since i come across hard packed snow/ice.
some roads have drop offs/cliffs with ice.

studless snow tires still does not feel as grippy as my studded jeep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado