U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:39 PM

16,506 posts, read 20,904,171 times

Advertisements

Western Slope weather is a treat at this time of the year. Whereas some of those freak storms that will dump a few inches of snow on the Front Range, well in Mesa County the leaves stay on the trees until early December. And as long as I have lived here, I never see snow until maybe the first week of December. Speaking of leaves, I was in Telluride day before yesterday for the "Blues and Brews" festival, wanted to see Joe Walsh. Believe it or not, the leaves haven't changed yet.

As far as busy, yea, the motels in Mesa County are doing okay. Quite a bit of tourists right now. That will slow down around the end of the month. In Montrose the motels will be busy for another four to six weeks.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-19-2016 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: spelling, addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 11:06 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,926,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Western Slope weather is a treat at this time of the year. Whereas some of those freak storms that will dump a few inches of snow on the Front Range, well in Mesa County the leaves stay on the trees until early December. And as long as I have lived here, I never see snow until maybe the first week of December. Speaking of leaves, I was in Telluride day before yesterday for the "Blues and Brews" festival, wanted to see Joe Walsh. Believe it or not, the leaves haven't changed yet.

As far as busy, yea, the motels in Mesa County are doing okay. Quite a bit of tourists right now. That will slow down around the end of the month. In Montrose the motels will be busy for another three weeks.
Interesting, I would have thought all the trees would have changed and dropped by October or November. I guess it's nice if you missed the leaves changing else where.

I plan to check Telluride out in about a week. Hopefully they will change by then.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:02 PM

4,657 posts, read 1,326,609 times
Was in the high country yesterday around Nederland and Ward and the aspens are at or nearing peak now. Not sure what the status is out west, but keep an eye on the reports, or you'll miss the leaves!

Old 09-19-2016, 05:29 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,926,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Was in the high country yesterday around Nederland and Ward and the aspens are at or nearing peak now. Not sure what the status is out west, but keep an eye on the reports, or you'll miss the leaves!
Ward is looking really nice!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:08 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,527,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I remember the first time I experienced I-70 bumper to bumper. I'm not sure how far, I gave up at Idaho Springs and turned around. This was like during the summer time last year.

Anyhow, I was out leaf peaking this weekend and Pike Peak national forest got pretty busy. I'm sure the next couple weekends will be the same around the state.
Yes no doubt there are summer time traffic jams on I-70. I sat in plenty of them thanks to plane crashes, rock slides, construction, weekenders, etc.

I worked in the tourist business in the mountains for 7 years and drove almost 600,000 miles in the area while there, yes there is some business, but nothing like summer and no person has anything to fear about finding accommodation after Labor Day weekend. I never encountered any traffic difficulties on 2 lane roads in Colorado driving around on my own to see the leaves. On I-70 in September after Labor Day, most slowups are going to do with a road issue like construction rather than excess traffic.

Anyone that wants to visit in September needs not worry about finding a place to stay, excess people or difficulty in getting around.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:12 PM

31 posts, read 20,487 times
Default Some Jam!

I-70 a Friday or Sunday jam you might try 285 as alternative (depending on destination). Our cabin in Park County and it can get busy coming out on Sunday afternoon but usually keep moving .

Old 09-23-2016, 05:43 PM

86,886 posts, read 102,281,764 times
OK, just back from a day of leaf-peeping. Here's the first person report.

We took Highway 285 from Morrison, over Kenosha Pass, to the turnoff for Como. Moderate traffic, not bumper to bumper, but not sparse either. TONS of cars at the Kenosha Pass parking pull-offs, plus on the sides of the road there.

Took Boreas Pass Road, a dirt road, from the turnoff through Como to Breckenridge. Plenty of traffic, lots of other leaf-peepers there. Had to stop and let the traffic coming the other way go many times.

Lunch in Breckenridge. Lots of people there, though we did get right in to a restaurant. Highway 6 over Loveland Pass. Lots of traffic, lots of people/cars at all the turnoffs. Took I-70 back. Eastbound traffic was moderate-heavy. Westbound was heavy, became bumper to bumper at Fall River Road at 3:45 in the afternoon. Back into the Denver burbs, heavy rush hour traffic at 4:30 PM, as usual on a Friday afternoon.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-23-2016 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 07:37 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,392,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, just back from a day of leaf-peeping. Here's the first person report.

We took Highway 285 from Morrison, over Kenosha Pass, to the turnoff for Como. Moderate traffic, not bumper to bumper, but not sparse either. TONS of cars at the Kenosha Pass parking pull-offs, plus on the sides of the road there.

Took Boreas Pass Road, a dirt road, from the turnoff through Como to Breckenridge. Plenty of traffic, lots of other leaf-peepers there. Had to stop and let the traffic coming the other way go many times.

Lunch in Breckenridge. Lots of people there, though we did get right in to a restaurant. Highway 6 over Loveland Pass. Lots of traffic, lots of people/cars at all the turnoffs. Took I-70 back. Eastbound traffic was moderate-heavy. Westbound was heavy, became bumper to bumper at Fall River Road at 3:45 in the afternoon. Back into the Denver burbs, heavy rush hour traffic at 4:30 PM, as usual on a Friday afternoon.
were the leaves at peak? we won't be there for a week or so...........

Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 PM

86,886 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
were the leaves at peak? we won't be there for a week or so...........
At the higher altitudes, yes, they were at peak. Maybe you can go Monday? I wouldn't recommend tomorrow, too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or