Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:58 PM

572 posts, read 547,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
BZZZZZZT! Fail!

First of all, Wikileaks can no longer be considered a reputable source of information since it has been discovered that it allowed Russian hackers to dump a bunch of mis-information into its database that may have impacted the recent election in the US. I wash my hands of Wikileaks.

you are free to do as you wish...

this article from Oct. 2016 seems to indicate the source is still considered reliable...

Quote:
Regardless of the source of the leaked emails, not a single email or document’s contents has yet been disputed says the Intercept reporter Glenn Greenwald.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Regarding Pielke, I can't think of another topic where there is a 99% consensus from the expert community and because of a political agenda, there is so much discredit thrown at that consensus. There is always opposition. There are people who still claim that the world is flat and that man didn't land on the moon. It doesn't mean that we give their opinions credence in the classroom.
what's interesting to me, is that in this particular case -- it seems like the IPCC agrees with the author - and yet the community at large is up in arms due to the thesis of HIS paper...

The Breakthrough Institute - IPCC Sides With Roger Pielke, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by above link from 4/2/14
Roger Pielke, Jr., an environmental studies professor at CU-Boulder, and a Senior Fellow at the Breakthrough Institute, argued that the rising cost of natural disasters is explained by more wealth in harm’s way and not by increasing frequency or intensity of natural disasters and extreme weather.

The release of the new UN IPCC report — Climate Change 2014:Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability (Working Group II Fifth Assessment Report)— affirms Pielke’s argument...
Quote:
"Economic growth, including greater concentrations of people and wealth in periled areas and rising insurance penetration, is the most important driver of increasing losses... loss trends have not been conclusively attributed to anthropogenic climate change."

Last edited by eatsDEN; 12-06-2016 at 03:33 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,434,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post

what's interesting to me, is that in this particular case -- it seems like the IPCC agrees with the author - and yet the community at large is up in arms due to the thesis of HIS paper...

The Breakthrough Institute - IPCC Sides With Roger Pielke, Jr.
What I find interesting about him is that people who don't read his work are using it to assert that there is not man caused climate change or to throw doubt at man caused climate change when he specifically says otherwise. There is not scientific consensus on the fact that climate change is causing bigger hurricanes. There IS scientific consensus on the fact that man made climate change is occurring.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
What I find interesting about him is that people who don't read his work are using it to assert that there is not man caused climate change or to throw doubt at man caused climate change when he specifically says otherwise. There is not scientific consensus on the fact that climate change is causing bigger hurricanes. There IS scientific consensus on the fact that man made climate change is occurring.

very interesting to me also -- but not as interesting as the attack leveled at the gentleman, his credentials and work by the Colorado Rambler...

if you recall, I personally made no such representation about the validity of any given scientific consensus, but rather, merely pointed out that (it seems to me that) some folks in the scientific community are not really wanting to hear any 'inconvenient truths' (to borrow a phrase) regarding their chosen field of study...

Here are some articles I found interesting -- about the reported scientific consensus:

Climate Change: No, It

Quote:
Based on a two-question online survey, Zimmerman and Doran concluded that “the debate on the authenticity of global warming and the role played by human activity is largely nonexistent among those who understand the nuances and scientific bases of long-term climate processes” — even though only 5 percent of respondents, or about 160 scientists, were climate scientists. In fact, the “97 percent” statistic was drawn from an even smaller subset: the 79 respondents who were both self-reported climate scientists and had “published more than 50% of their recent peer-reviewed papers on the subject of climate change.” These 77 scientists agreed that global temperatures had generally risen since 1800, and that human activity is a “significant contributing factor.

Given the politics of modern academia and the scientific community, it’s not unlikely that most scientists involved in climate-related studies believe in anthropogenic global warming, and likely believe, too, that it presents a problem. However, there is no consensus approaching 97 percent. A vigorous, vocal minority exists. The science is far from settled.”

Joseph Bast and Roy Spencer: The Myth of the Climate Change '97%' - WSJ

Quote:
Of the various petitions on global warming circulated for signatures by scientists, the one by the Petition Project, a group of physicists and physical chemists based in La Jolla, Calif., has by far the most signatures—more than 31,000 (more than 9,000 with a Ph.D.). It was most recently published in 2009, and most signers were added or reaffirmed since 2007. The petition states that "there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of . . . carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate."

Old 12-06-2016, 05:59 PM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
How does a string on Teacher Shortages transform into a debate about climate change?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
How does a string on Teacher Shortages transform into a debate about climate change?
Amazing, ain't it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:51 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,884,708 times
Quote:
you are free to do as you wish...
Thank you.

Quote:
this article from Oct. 2016 seems to indicate the source is still considered reliable...
Your link to The Intercept is interesting, and I even agree with some of the things that I saw written as I scrolled down the page. However, the blog (or whatever it is) makes a point of getting its info from unofficial sources – mostly in the social media – and is proud to point this out to the reader. Unofficial sources can be a treasure trove of information - or not.

I get my information from as many different impartial sources as I possibly can – National Public Radio, legitimate, refereed scientific journals that have a reputation for demanding rigorous standards of research from their contributors, Internet publications such as Pro Publica - a recipient of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize in Explanatory Reporting, the 2011 Pulitzer Prize in National Reporting and a 2010 Pulitzer Prize in Investigative Reporting, and the Navajo Times out of Shiprock, NM. I also like to take long walks and hikes, jotting down my observations in my notebooks. Feel sorry for Dr. Pielke with his PhD in political science if you wish, but personally, I have no more interest in his pronouncements than I would those of the members of the Inquisition who forced Galileo to recant his discovery that the earth orbits the sun instead of the other way around.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:39 AM

I don't "feel bad" for him at all -- I feel sad for the general state of affairs in academia
with respect to the discourse "allowed" per say...

Old 12-07-2016, 09:43 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,434,598 times
Quote:
very interesting to me also -- but not as interesting as the attack leveled at the gentleman, his credentials and work by the Colorado Rambler...

if you recall, I personally made no such representation about the validity of any given scientific consensus, but rather, merely pointed out that (it seems to me that) some folks in the scientific community are not really wanting to hear any 'inconvenient truths' (to borrow a phrase) regarding their chosen field of study...

Here are some articles I found interesting -- about the reported scientific consensus:

Climate Change: No, It

Joseph Bast and Roy Spencer: The Myth of the Climate Change '97%' - WSJ

Too funny. You just did exactly what I'm talking about: Took his research and used it as a springboard into discrediting global warming. This is exactly what he is NOT doing.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Too funny. You just did exactly what I'm talking about: Took his research and used it as a springboard into discrediting global warming. This is exactly what he is NOT doing.
I made no such value judgment - I pointed out others who seem to indicate that the science is not settled - but made no comment, myself, either way...
(to me... the inconvenient truth I referenced is merely that others disagree with the reported levels of consensus, btw, and not a value judgment on a hypothesis)

I find many things interesting... not necessarily to judge things as fact or fiction, but merely as interesting information to consume
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado