Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:52 PM

246 posts, read 416,178 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Finally I got myself all setup for my upcoming trip to Durango, CO with my wife and kids this December. I have planned out certain activities but am looking for more recommendations/suggestions from people who have already been there or live locally. I will be driving from Dallas, TX and here is my proposed itenary for the trip.

The Plan -

1) Leave Dallas on 26th (Mon) Noon and arrive at Durango, CO on 27th Dec (Tue noon) and check in at a hotel @ downtown Durango.

2) Spend the afternoon/Evening in downtime/relax at the hotel

3) 28th Dec (Wed) - Start the day with the Cascade Canyon train ride. It departs 9:45AM and is expected to be back by 2:45 PM. Anything else I can plan for the afternoon?

4) 29th Dec (Thu) - Head for the purgatory resort and get busy with skiing/Snowmobile rides, tubing etc..I plan to send the whole day out there

5) 30th Dec (Fri) - My reservation ends at the hotel on 30th (noon). On this day I can either return back to Dallas or I could stay in Durango or travel up north to Ouray. I really do not have any specific plan and I would like suggestions here. I would like to drive up to Ouray and if possible send a day or two up there but I am really not sure what activities I could do?

Is there any other place in between I could spend an extra day or two? I would really love to be with nature and relax. I have 2 kids (4 year old & 10 month old) with us so we wouldn't be looking for anything too aggressive to do outside.

Any suggestion/advice.

Ideally I would like to return back to Dallas only on 31st Dec or the 1st of Jan

Thanks

Jacob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 03:38 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
Mesa Verde is awesome, but it will be kind of unpleasant this time of year (mostly outside stuff).

Old 12-02-2016, 03:57 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Breakfast at Carver in Durango.
Dinner at Steamworks.
Check the weather before driving to Ouray. The road is terrifying in bad weather.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
If hot springs interest, Ouray has a big, popular one. If the drive is not good, there is a small one just north of Durango called Trimble Hot Springs.

City of Durango rec. dept. has a skating rink.

There are indoor climbing wall options in recreation center and in commercial gym.

Could take drive up to Lemon or Vallecito Reservoir for a brief walk or hangout.
There are places to rent a snowmobile or cross-country if inclined.

There is also the river walk in town and other several city parks for a walk ( in snow)

Place on Main St. to take old time west photos.

Silverton Grand Imperial Hotel if you want even more old west experience (staff in period attire, old style rooms,etc.)

Not sure if the horse drawn wagon giving rides downtown still operates in winter but you can find out about that and everything else at the visitor welcome center on Main.

Other options include the train station museum, watching the train come & go when you're not on it, bakeries, art galleries, the bookstore, etc. There is a craft shop on Main where you can make your design glassware overnight (plates, coasters and such)

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-02-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 11:05 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Check the weather before driving to Ouray. The road is terrifying in bad weather.
LOL. Yes, it's a beautiful drive but definitely one that should be done in the summer.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:32 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
LOL. Yes, it's a beautiful drive but definitely one that should be done in the summer.
I don't mind it in the winter. I would just not recommend driving it in a storm. Ouray is so awesome and definitely worth a visit.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 12-03-2016 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-03-2016, 05:36 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
I missed that your kids were that young when I responded. So some suggestions may be less practical for you at this time, depending on how much you schedule for their interests. Maybe better for future trips or other visitors.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-03-2016 at 05:44 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 07:38 AM

7 posts, read 21,707 times
Take a drive up the million dollar highway. It's a blast and gorgeous scenery.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
If hot springs interest, Ouray has a big, popular one. If the drive is not good, there is a small one just north of Durango called Trimble Hot Springs.

City of Durango rec. dept. has a skating rink.

There are indoor climbing wall options in recreation center and in commercial gym.

Could take drive up to Lemon or Vallecito Reservoir for a brief walk or hangout.
There are places to rent a snowmobile or cross-country if inclined.
Noted. Thanks!!

Quote:
There is also the river walk in town and other several city parks for a walk ( in snow)
I have got this added to Wed evening. After we return back from the train ride.

Quote:
Not sure if the horse drawn wagon giving rides downtown still operates in winter but you can find out about that and everything else at the visitor welcome center on Main
I have booked with Buck's Livery for Thur evening horse ride.

Buck's Livery - Trail Rides, Pack Trips, Big Game Hunts, Outfitters, Horse Rides - Durango, Colorado

Quote:
Other options include the train station museum, watching the train come & go when you're not on it, bakeries, art galleries, the bookstore, etc. There is a craft shop on Main where you can make your design glassware overnight (plates, coasters and such)
That sounds interesting to spend some time in the evenings!!

Old 12-05-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelcour2015 View Post
Take a drive up the million dollar highway. It's a blast and gorgeous scenery.
I am definitely going to do this ride :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado