Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:54 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,585,696 times

Advertisements

You're looking in the wrong state. CO gets snow more than rain, and rain usually comes in summer thunderstorms that blast through instead of gently soaking the ground. There is a good reason why lush greenery does not typify CO--anywhere in CO--except after a very snowy winter and wet spring. And then you can expect that to be gone in less than a year.

Utah won't be any better.

There are eastern states with ski resorts that get more rain and are within a day's drive from TN. You're barking up the wrong tree. Even "Evergreen" and similar towns are not green compared with the east. Also, any lawns you see MUST be frequently watered. Nature will not come even close to doing it for you. Why move to a state to suck down its already-short supply of water? In new subdivisions, non-xeriscapic grasses such as KY Bluegrass are banned. In older ones, many people choose to rip out the old thirsty bluegrass and replace with drought-tolerant native grasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 3,780 times
Grass is not a requirement. It would just be nice. We love the rockys for what they are BUT if we could have both we would.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,980,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmountain15 View Post
Coming from Tennessee, we are used to 50+ inches of rain and everything being very green and lush. ... is there an area that typically is greener and more lush?
Nowhere in Colorado will you find what you are talking about. The same applies to many of the neighboring states. Just look at annual rainfall-moisture maps for the nation. It rarely ever rains here, and the ample snowfall, though significant, comes in the cold/dormant season, and doesn't contribute like it would if it took place in the warmer/growth months. The typical dryness here evaporates the moisture quickly as well before it can do much work. It might be a soil issue as well. In my backyard at least, the soil is super compressed and shuns whatever water I throw at it. I can almost see a cartoon character of it: DirtMan with a frown, folded arms, and a water symbol with line through it.

I can relate to you what you describe and like. Eventually I'm moving to such an area of the country, and it will be nowhere near Colorado. If you're used to that, it's hard to get out of your blood. Most here in CO though prefer and appreciate a very different approach and scenery (not to mention climate). Two very different worlds. Coming from Tennessee, I could understand seeking out WA, OR, ID, NC, etc. but not Colorado.

You have to consider what it would be like living here over the long run, rather than using your past few visits as experience. It might not be bad or noticeable over a week's stay, but when you strings months together, and it can get the best of you. I'm from a warmer and more humid state, and CO isn't a good match. Each year gets harder. Everyday I think about the good old days when I lived in a part of the country with moderate weather, lush woods, and ample rain. I'm wired and tuned to lots of deep and varied greens too. They aren't here, even in the summer. It's hard to full convey and put into words how that can affect a person.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 12-07-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 11:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,585,696 times
Look up the weather-related definition of "sublimation." You can see it happen in CO. Not every time it snows, but not rarely, either. At our old home, I sometimes waited a day before shoveling snow off the dirt driveway (to allow some melting to seep down), only to find that the ground underneath was bone-dry. This is NOT good in terms of retaining moisture for vegetation.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,436,784 times
Quote:
We love the rockys for what they are BUT if we could have both we would.
Can't. Sorry.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:13 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,436,784 times
As stated earlier, the green parts you see in Colorado have a majority of that precip falling as snow.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:28 PM

Those are great maps. As you can see, with the exception of coastal CA/OR/WA, much of the western half of the US is quite dry compared to the eastern half. For someone used to 50+ inches each year, I would think the light green zone (30-40") would be the lowest desirable limit for relocation. That still leaves lots of choices.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,780 times
Again, I am not looking for 50inches a year. I know colorado does not get that much rain. I dont want that much rain. Im tired of flooding and weeks straight of rain. I dont want 50 inches of rain yall. Just wondered the greenest parts of colorado. I know must of their precipitation comes from snow. I have been to colorado in summer, fall, winter, spring many times and love it. Just wondered the greenest parts. And if the answer is nowhere thats fine. Just curious.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:17 PM

Using Google Maps and selecting Earth (aerial/satellite) views, you can see for yourself which areas are "greenest". Below is a high-level image of the state. You can zoom in farther online to get a closer look at those CO rainforests
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for rain-co.jpg  

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 12-07-2016 at 02:17 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 04:48 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,570,446 times
Quote:
Again, I am not looking for 50inches a year. I know colorado does not get that much rain. I dont want that much rain. Im tired of flooding and weeks straight of rain. I dont want 50 inches of rain yall. Just wondered the greenest parts of colorado. I know must of their precipitation comes from snow. I have been to colorado in summer, fall, winter, spring many times and love it. Just wondered the greenest parts. And if the answer is nowhere thats fine. Just curious.
The correct answer is Nowhere, not if you are looking to replicate anything close to what you are used to in Tennessee. The whole eastern half of the state is plains with hardly any trees (just those that grow along waterways). The mountains are beautiful, but still not the lush, dense green of the east.

I grew up on the East Coast and moved to Colorado for skiing and the outdoor lifestyle. Always missed the "green, green grass of home" but would never want to move back East.

When my husband and I retired, we spent time looking at where we wanted to live. My vote was for something greener and closer to the ocean than Colorado, which let us to Oregon, Washington, and northern California. Somehow we ended up in Hawaii, which is DEFINITELY green!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado