Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:53 AM

117 posts, read 161,468 times

Advertisements

We just booked our first Colorado ski trip for late February/early March. So I have yet another question about what kind of rental car to get (FWD car vs. 4WD/AWD SUV) to make the trek from the Denver airport to Frisco, and the nearby ski resorts. There are only two of us going, so we don't need a huge vehicle, as long as the back seat folds down for skis.

We live in Minnesota and have primarily owned FWD vehicles, so we are no strangers to driving with FWD in snow. I think the main factor for us would be how driving in the mountains in snow would differ from the snowy conditions we are used to in MN. How steep does I-70 get, how well is it plowed, and how likely is it that there will be a snow event at that time where there would be a big difference between having a 4WD and FWD vehicle? We know that 4WD only works for go, not stop. It would be ideal to get something like a Subaru, but it looks like no agencies offer a guaranteed Subaru, and we're leery of renting with Turo.

I've heard some people recommend chains for crummy mountain conditions. Chains are illegal here, so we have never owned or driven with them, and I hear most rental agencies forbid them.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Your snowy conditions experience in FWD vehicles will serve you in good stead in the Colorado mtn/ski trip driving.

Bear in mind that it's unusual to have "deep snow" conditions on Colorado roads between DIA and the ski resorts along the I-70 corridor or in any of those destinations. The routes are frequently plowed since CDOT anticipates the volume of ski traffic needing to travel those roads, as do the ski resort towns.

What you'll typically encounter is a range of (1) snow packed roads and (2) "black ice" or (3) slushy stuff on top of the snow pack and black ice. The conditions will range from slick ... use caution, to a very drivable hard pack for an experienced AWD or FWD driver.

When and if the roads are overwhelmed with a dump of fresh snow (or a bunch of accidents clogging traffic and first responders) or exceptional "black ice" surface conditions, or blizzard white-out conditions with very low visibility, CDOT will "close the road" until such time as they can get them cleared for winter driving conditions and/or the inclement weather front moves out.

The bottom line is that driving on deep loose snow seeing an advantage to chains will very rarely present. In my view, if the Colorado conditions to/from the ski resorts are such that chains could possibly be an advantage ... it's time for you to not be on the roads. Pay attention to the weather and road reports and PLAN your travels accordingly ... to drive either before or after such events.

The rental agencies don't want you to use chains because if conditions are that bad that chains are needed, 99% of the drivers shouldn't be on the road ... plus chains can cause damage to vehicles if improperly installed and driven.

Many of the "ski country" rental cars are equipped with ski racks. Ask your rental agency about these.

I-70 has some pretty steep grades on the passes ... all well manageable with a FWD car.

Have a great time and enjoy your Colorado ski vacation.

PS: yes, I drive Subie's (and previously, Audi Quattro's) because they work well for me in my regional travels. True, too, I like the AWD handling on hydroplaning conditions. But I spend a lot of my time on county roads that don't get plowed very frequently, or have to negotiate a steep driveway to my Vail house which often doesn't get plowed until I get there and take care of it. The AWD is nice to have but of no real necessity until those last few hundred feet of my journey on most of my trips. Same thing on my return home to the ranch ... the last 12 miles in are on oft-times unplowed roads, especially when school's out and the school bus routes don't need to be maintained by the county. Having recently acquired my first FWD car ... a 1991 Toyota Celica ... I'm discovering that it also does yeoman service in driving these inclement weather conditions, too. I haven't put chains on a vehicle in the Rocky Mountain area since I quit using my 1971 MB 220D years ago in 1991; it was on the Eastbound Eisenhower tunnel approach in a pretty bad spring storm/icy conditions coming home from Vail in otherwise stalled traffic (I idled up the hill in 2nd gear past many stranded cars that night) ... pi**off a lot of folk as I just went past them without any difficulty. But once into the tunnel, the cable chains weren't needed and I took them off as soon as I could past the tunnel ... where they were a hindrance for the 50 mph hard pack that night the rest of the way down the mountains.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-21-2016 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 11:53 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
If it is snowing at all, CDOT will institute traction laws requiring either 4WD, chains, or snow tires. These are Not enforced unless you become involved in an accident or get stuck, in which case you are looking at a hefty fine.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-...leChainLaw.pdf

Old 12-21-2016, 01:52 PM

true, "snow tires" are required in these conditions by CDOT.

but note the ratings that satisfy the requirement: any tire marked with the winter rating tire symbol on the sidewall.

this includes most "all season" tires in the marketplace today.

the rental car agencies aren't amateurs in the business ... they equip their cars in this region appropriately for the likely conditions. They want you to be happy with the car and it's abilities in this area.

OP, you can be confident that your Denver rental ski car will be in compliance with the legal requirements for travel in "ski country USA".

PS: I've never used or needed dedicated winter snow tires here on any of my vehicles since I last used a RWD car for winter commuting/sales travels ... All Season tires have been excellent performers for me and my family.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:22 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
the rental car agencies aren't amateurs in the business ... they equip their cars in this region appropriately for the likely conditions. They want you to be happy with the car and it's abilities in this area.
OP, you can be confident that your Denver rental ski car will be in compliance with the legal requirements for travel in "ski country USA".
Depends on what company you rent from. I've heard horror stories from people renting from lesser known agencies (Fox, E-Z).
I'd suggest doing some research on Trip Advisor. Rental cars are a very popular topic there.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
true, "snow tires" are required in these conditions by CDOT.

but note the ratings that satisfy the requirement: any tire marked with the winter rating tire symbol on the sidewall.

this includes most "all season" tires in the marketplace today.

PS: I've never used or needed dedicated winter snow tires here on any of my vehicles since I last used a RWD car for winter commuting/sales travels ... All Season tires have been excellent performers for me and my family.
I'm not sure that's accurate regarding the rental car companies equipping their cars with tires that will satisfy the requirements during a storm. OP should check.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Depends on what company you rent from. I've heard horror stories from people renting from lesser known agencies (Fox, E-Z).
I'd suggest doing some research on Trip Advisor. Rental cars are a very popular topic there.
OTOH, the major rental outfits do make a point of equipping their cars appropriately. They don't need unhappy customers who head up the hill for a ski vacation and run into difficulties with a car equipped with less than adequate tires.

We've had lots of visitors through the years come through Denver and rent cars from the majors at DIA (or Stapleton before that). I've never seen a rental car from these outfits that didn't have appropriate winter rated tires on them with plenty of tread.

Sky Dog wrote: "I'm not sure that's accurate regarding the rental car companies equipping their cars with tires that will satisfy the requirements during a storm. OP should check."

Agreed, a renter should check a car over before leaving the lot with it for condition and appropriate equipment for their wintertime travels.

But that's true for EVERY car rental situation.

Cases in point: I recently rented cars for a week each from a major national car rental outfit in Honolulu and Lihue. Got the keys at the counter, signed the paperwork, and headed with my luggage to the parking lot. I did my usual "pre drive" inspection of the cars. As is not necessarily uncommon, I found bodywork damage on both cars which could have dinged me on their returns by the agent receiving the car.

In both rentals, I went back to the rental counter and asked that they note the damage to the cars before I drove them. At one counter, they took my word for the damage description ... filled out their form and had a copy for me to take. At the other counter, they sent a rep out to inspect the vehicle and fill out the form.

Glad I did this. Upon returning the vehicles when I was unloading the car and awaiting an agent to "check me in" ... they were already writing up the apparent damage to the cars. These were minor vertical dings on over the wheel wells or scrapes on the front fender valance areas ... nothing major, but readily apparent to see under the lights in the return lanes. I let the agent write up the damage without comment. When they told me that I'd be charged for the damage and were getting the figures for that on their laptop, I showed them my "damage inspection report" filled out and signed off by the rental agent before I ever drove the car. End of process to charge me for the damage.

I have no doubt that this is a frequent episode in the profit center for a rental car outfit. Few folk check out their rental car, do a "walk around" before the rental acceptance. Upon their return, the receiving agent sees the damage and writes it up. The car gets rented again and again and the repairs are never done, but get charged to every renter who has logged the problem areas.

I'm particularly sensitive to this issue re windshields. I rented a car in Aspen years ago and it had a small rock ding in the windshield which wasn't very noticeable, just at the lowest spot on the wiper travel area. I didn't get it written up ... and you guessed it, the ding expanded into a couple of short break lines during the time I drove the car with the defroster on full blast to clear the windshield the next morning. Upon the return, I got charged for a new windshield and a day's loss of use of the vehicle while they got the windshield replaced in Glenwood Springs. Full pop list price charged, so I got to pay my $500 deductible towards the bill. For me, ever since then I do as careful a walk-around on a rental vehicle as I do on my airplane.

PS: I can't speak for DIA or Denver car rental rates ... but for my recent HI trip, I made a point of researching the rental rates of the majors (Hertz, et al) and the local "Rent a Heap" or "Rent a Wreck" or several "mom and pop" outfits in the islands. I used the usual travel web sites for ratings/reviews of the rental outfits under consideration. Much to my surprise, the maximum net difference amounted to "saving" a couple dollars per day, generally less than $12 per week. Given the convenience of the car at the airport in Honolulu or the shuttle bus to the lot in Lihue, it was well worth that surcharge to me. As well, I got almost new late model cars in very good mechanical condition from the major rental outfit compared to the older cars/high mileage that the other outfits had ... which was a concern with 4 adults and baggage/dive gear to be transported as they couldn't guarantee that we'd get an appropriate size vehicle upon our arrival. Yes, I used discount programs for my major car rental which knocked off a considerable amount off the rack rates. But similar rates were readily available through the usual on-line travel discount sites to anybody.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-21-2016 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 PM

117 posts, read 161,468 times
Thanks all for the information, especially SkyDog for the Code 15 & Code 16 laws. We'll check with the rental agency and ask about how well the cars are equipped for a drive to the mountains before we go. When we rent a car, we always rent from a big name agency for the same reasons mentioned by Hipchik.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtmn View Post
Thanks all for the information, especially SkyDog for the Code 15 & Code 16 laws. We'll check with the rental agency and ask about how well the cars are equipped for a drive to the mountains before we go. When we rent a car, we always rent from a big name agency for the same reasons mentioned by Hipchik.
No problem. You can ignore Code 16. They shut I-70 down before it gets to that point.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:30 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Always check CDOT online to see what the road conditions are.

If it is really bad and you have arrived in Denver at night, then I would just stay there. CDOT these days seems much more aggressive about closing I-70.

Also driving up on Friday night or Saturday morning can be a pain in bad weather. I used to call it the "Friday Night Maniacs" as people raced up from Denver on Friday night. If weather was bad, hold on your hat as an accident is a dead certainty. Coming back down on Sunday afternoon means traffic jams, again compounded if the weather is bad or there is an accident. Plan accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado