Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:50 PM

403 posts, read 755,079 times

Advertisements

With your wants and needs, I think Evergreen is a good option and would consider Conifer as well. There's paddleboarding on Evergreen Lake (I take my inflatable SUP out there often in the summer months) and we have tons of outdoor hiking/biking/sledding options.

It'll take you about an hour to 1hr 15 min to DIA most of the time. Snow and traffic/highway accidents can slow that time on occasion. Schools are highly rated and all of your everyday amenities are here.

As far as wildlife, the animals you'll see most often are deer and elk. As long as you keep your distance (especially in rutting season) you'll be fine. We have black bear, but they are pretty skittish of humans. Mountain Lions are around, but I have lived in Evergreen for 8 years and have yet to see one. Many people have seen them though so just something to be aware of. Coyotes also make an appearance.

I have three boys (10.5, 14, 15.5) and they play outside all the time. For the most part, my kids and their friends are pretty noisy when they are skating on our pond, sledding on our hill, playing basketball or soccer in our cul-de-sac, and riding their mountain bikes. That likely keeps the wildlife away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 06:50 PM

242 posts, read 247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholman View Post
So, my wife and I are in CO right now with our 5 kids (6-14 yrs) looking for a potential place to move. We live in north FL, and grew up in eastern SD. I wondered if any Coloradians would know of some places that best match our wish list:

A neighborhood with lots of kids that's close to schools, kids' activities, climbing/hiking, swimming, paddle boarding, snowboarding, outdoor FUN. We love to adventure "off-trail" and don't want to worry about dangerous animals (like the snakes and gators we have in FL). We seem to prefer newer neighborhoods, but that may be because our experiences have been better with them. I work from home, but do travel once or twice a month, so being within a couple hours of Denver airport would be good. My kids love snow that sticks around (for snowmen and sledding), but hate the bitter cold and winds we had in South Dakota. Being reasonably close to a ski resort would be great, if that's possible. Any insights you can share would be WILDLY appreciated!!
Edit: read the rest of the thread!

Give Golden a good hard look.

There's some nice places out there esp with your budget. It's cheaper than Boulder and nicer IMO.

Evergreen and Conifer/Bailey are nice if you want to be in the mountains. It's amazing up there but it's a bit further from the resorts, or seems like it! I just despise the commute to Denver from there.

Last edited by Norrov; 12-31-2016 at 07:00 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 12:28 AM

670 posts, read 1,165,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
Evergreen and Conifer/Bailey are nice if you want to be in the mountains. It's amazing up there but it's a bit further from the resorts, or seems like it!
Evergreen is closer to the ski resorts (closer than Golden or ?). It's only an hour from Keystone.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:07 AM

242 posts, read 247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Evergreen is closer to the ski resorts (closer than Golden or ?). It's only an hour from Keystone.
Yeah, was mostly talking about Confier.
Sorry.

I just hate the roads to/from Evergreen. To each their own!!

Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 717 times
Default Eagle,CO Family Paradise

You should take some time to drive to Eagle, CO. It fits all the things you've mentioned. I would describe it as a bedroom community of Vail. We are within one hour of Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Aspen, Snowmass, Keystone, Copper, etc... It's ski resort mecca. And just as beautiful (if not more) in the summer. We have three boys 5, 10, and 12 and moved here twelve years ago from bustling San Diego and have not regretted it once. It is a higher end area but well within your budget. Great schools, smaller size community where your children and you will make lasting relationships. Oh, and here's the best part. Our entire community is accessible with a bike. There are sidewalks or trails for your family to ride to school, movies, pool, library, parks, etc... When we moved here the amount of driving our kids around decreased about 90%. My boys play hockey and meet their friends at the outdoor rink several times a week. Lacrosse and soccer also very popular. Because of the cost of living I would say it attracts educated, outdoor enthusiasts if that makes sense. The saying in this area of the Rocky Mountains is that they came for the winters (skiing) and ended up staying for the summers (camping, rafting, climbing, dirtbiking, etc...). If you are looking for a safe and fun place for kiddos to run wild, this is the place. I'd be happy to talk to you or your wife further if you'd like.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-29-2017 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: No personal / identifying info should be posted in forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado