Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:35 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,977,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I'm sorry, but you're making me laugh.

Seriously, my dear friend DrDog, my previous reply was satire (mostly), and I'm laughing with you, not at you. I just thought it was funny that at the time I read the OP's question, the thread just below was about how much various folks had loved growing up in Colorado. I do wish newbies would check out the board a little when their questions have been answered so many times over by the rest of us.
How would anyone know to search for goose poop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 10:09 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,884,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
How would anyone know to search for goose poop?
Hah! You've got me there. A person could go "upstairs" and check out the Fort Collins Forum, though. I bet folks in that forum complain about goose poop all the time. OP could go check it out if s/he is now concerned about this possibility.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:27 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,585,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erockgasss View Post
I moved here from Kentucky last year.

The bad of CO

The overall 2016 tax burden was 7k lower in CO based on my spending (low six figure income.) The new car CO registration costs are insane, but I knew that so I bought a 3 year old truck for this reason.

The winters are nothing compared to the Midwest.

The scenery is the greatest I've ever experience in my life, and I've traveled the world.

We have the best drivers roads in North America if you have a sports car. Better than the valley in Southern California.

There are no bugs, basically. None.

You don't need AC in the summer.

I can smoke pot once a month or so...and not be in "commission of a felony."

The view that we see every day could make a sober, miserable grown man like me get poetic about the world.

Yesterday I took my snowmobile into the national forest (for free), didn't see another human being for 5 hours but took some amazing pictures of a 100+ elk herd, and a black bear with her cubs.

The treacherous of CO

It's dry so I have to haul water every 2 months to my well. What a pain in the ass! Awful! Who lives like this?

The soil isn't as good as the midwest...so I can only grow raspberries, blackberries, kale, spinach, potatoes, basil, and asparagus in my garden.

As a work from home software developer that lives in the middle of nowhere, I need fast internet. I pay 90 a month for 20 MBPS internet. I took a test during a blizzard and it went down to 16 MBPS. Disgusting!

Overall it sucks.
Go to the area just around the dunes at Great Sand Dunes in summer. As you are about to get out of your car, observe the legions of mosquitoes that have landed on your windows and sheet metal, waiting for the giant can of bloodfood to be opened. They know a feast awaits them.

GSD edge areas (not on the dunes themselves) are one of the three buggiest CO locations I've been to.

The other two are the top of Grand Mesa near the ponds, and forests near Steamboat Springs. Another area, the forests of Winter Park (not right on the city streets) was pretty bad, too, though not as infested as the top three.

CO endured a bad West Nile season in 2003. I found numerous dead magpies, gulls, and other birds, and that was just in one part of greater Denver. There are definitely bugs around, including biters.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:28 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,450,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erockgasss View Post
I moved here from Kentucky last year.

The bad of CO

The overall 2016 tax burden was 7k lower in CO based on my spending (low six figure income.) The new car CO registration costs are insane, but I knew that so I bought a 3 year old truck for this reason.

The winters are nothing compared to the Midwest.

The scenery is the greatest I've ever experience in my life, and I've traveled the world.

We have the best drivers roads in North America if you have a sports car. Better than the valley in Southern California.

There are no bugs, basically. None.

You don't need AC in the summer.

I can smoke pot once a month or so...and not be in "commission of a felony."

The view that we see every day could make a sober, miserable grown man like me get poetic about the world.

Yesterday I took my snowmobile into the national forest (for free), didn't see another human being for 5 hours but took some amazing pictures of a 100+ elk herd, and a black bear with her cubs.

The treacherous of CO

It's dry so I have to haul water every 2 months to my well. What a pain in the ass! Awful! Who lives like this?

The soil isn't as good as the midwest...so I can only grow raspberries, blackberries, kale, spinach, potatoes, basil, and asparagus in my garden.

As a work from home software developer that lives in the middle of nowhere, I need fast internet. I pay 90 a month for 20 MBPS internet. I took a test during a blizzard and it went down to 16 MBPS. Disgusting!

Overall it sucks.
The driving for the most part seems fine, but people in CO have no clue how to merge. They also will not stop no matter what when you're backing out of a parking spot.....those are new ones to me.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,450,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If it's too crowded to ski, how come so many people are skiing?
Sitting in a car for 5 hrs to ski for 4 hrs isn't worth my time....not sure why so many other feel the opposite.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:30 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,585,696 times
I agree with the comment about merging.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,558,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Its bad when you get to the point of....too crowded to ski on the weekends to now....too crowded to MTN bike on the weekends.

The other thing I hate is car registration.....total ripoff. CO has the nicest DMV's I've seen. Wonder why?
You know what would make sense for new residents in CO? The DMV allowing people to get their driver's license simultaneously with the new license plates. Here in AZ, you can get your plates and driver's license in the same facility.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:51 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,884,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Go to the area just around the dunes at Great Sand Dunes in summer. As you are about to get out of your car, observe the legions of mosquitoes that have landed on your windows and sheet metal, waiting for the giant can of bloodfood to be opened. They know a feast awaits them.

GSD edge areas (not on the dunes themselves) are one of the three buggiest CO locations I've been to.

The other two are the top of Grand Mesa near the ponds, and forests near Steamboat Springs. Another area, the forests of Winter Park (not right on the city streets) was pretty bad, too, though not as infested as the top three.

CO endured a bad West Nile season in 2003. I found numerous dead magpies, gulls, and other birds, and that was just in one part of greater Denver. There are definitely bugs around, including biters.
Weighing in with erockgasss on this one. Colorado most certainly has bugs, but you must never have spent much time in Kentucky. As a child, I spent part of every summer in eastern Kentucky and it has bugs like you wouldn't believe. I've been dined on by the mosquitoes on top of Grand Mesa, myself and I've counted the dead birds all over the place here in the Four Corners, as well. But I can actually grow a garden here without resorting to the use of pesticides - next to impossible in Kentucky. Or if you don't want to use pesticides, you send a child out to the vegetable garden to pull off all the potato bugs and horn worms and everything else with 6 legs - their numbers are legion - I know because I was that child every summer. And talk about ticks - Kentucky has them by the jillions and I can remember spending what seemed like forever searching for ticks on myself and the family dog every time we came back in my grandparent's house from the great out of doors. I always found 3 or 4 on myself and 10 or 15 on the dog (flea collars weren't in use back then). Kentucky also has fire flies which I always thought were the best things ever, especially since we don't have them in Colorado. As for disease bearing mosquitoes? One of my Kentucky cousins almost died from a case of encephalitis acquired from a mosquito bite. When it comes to mosquitoes, Colorado does seem to manage to keep up with Kentucky - but everything else? We should thank our lucky stars every day that we live here and not there - at least when it comes to bugs. Yuck!

Old 02-04-2017, 12:23 AM

240 posts, read 251,081 times
Colorado's greatest liability, as others here have said, is the aridity. None of the major cities receive more than 20 inches of precipitation and there are few large lakes; the largest reservoir is Blue Mesa in SW Colorado and the largest natural lake is Grand Lake (barely 1 square mile in area) near Rocky Mtn NP. There are no very significant rivers, either; oh, several major rivers do flow through the state (Colorado, Rio Grande, and Arkansas) but keep in mind that they originate there and are only modestly sized streams until they're far from Colorado.

Honestly, I wish Colorado received a bit more precipitation; say, 22-25 inches in Colorado Springs rather than 16 inches. It would still be somewhat dry, but much greener. 2004 was an especially wet year there (24 inches at the airport) and I remember the landscape actually turning green for a change.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:26 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,436,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

If taken part in the Great Sand Dunes feeding, but that area is the exception. I spent a few nights in North Carolina last summer and it felt like being at the Dunes from a mosquito standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado