Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:03 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times

Advertisements

Just another thought on moving to CO or Wyoming (since added to the topic) please be aware of the "boom and bust" cycles these states seem to be subject to. Plan accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 07:36 AM

27 posts, read 43,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
Just another thought on moving to CO or Wyoming (since added to the topic) please be aware of the "boom and bust" cycles these states seem to be subject to. Plan accordingly.
I'd say that applies much more to Wyoming. Colorado, or at least the Denver area has diversified significantly in the last 20-30 years.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:40 PM

36 posts, read 66,578 times
Welding jobs would be closer in to Denver/Aurora. As a poster said it is a megaopolis now with a huge distance between areas with a challenging commute. Though I've known people who did it daily - be prepared for at least one hour each morning and evening and more in winter/snow/ice. Denver metro is very spread out and housing has become more expensive than a 850 a month range unless you live in a not so great area. I agree with another poster that people have this idea of colorado now. Yes jobs, pretty, but traffic and housing are changing the ability to get around. Otherwise you may want to look more at colorado springs, close to foothills there. Still colorado has nice folks. Come and check it out first in person. You should do that anywhere you would consider. WYO is better but has lost a lot of jobs in last several years. If you don't mind long winter/cold than I'd check out Rapid City, SD. Very affordable, near outdoors, up and coming.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:01 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post
I'd say that applies much more to Wyoming. Colorado, or at least the Denver area has diversified significantly in the last 20-30 years.
Is it? from what I can tell the main industries are still agriculture, mineral extraction, and tourism, the only thing really added in the last 20 years has been IT that I have noticed and that is not exactly a stable market.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Main industries in metro Denver:
All major industries grew in metro Denver in 2013 – The Denver Post
"The eight major industries are aerospace; aviation; bioscience; broadcasting and telecommunications; energy; financial services; health care; and information technology-software."

Don't see agriculture, mineral extraction or tourism on the list.

Colorado: Major Industries in Colorado | Colorado Office of Economic Development & International Trade
In alphabetical order: Advanced manufacturing, Aerospace, Bioscience, Creative industries, Defense and homeland security, Electronics, Energy and natural resources, Financial services, Food and agriculture, Health and wellness, Infrastructure Engineering, Technology and information, Tourism and Outdoor recreation, Transportation and logistics.

Energy and NR probably includes mineral extraction, but there is also wind and solar, and energy production.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:06 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
According to the Bureau of Labor, Denver has actually lost IT jobs over the last year to the tune of -2.2%. Also down are mining/logging/construction -.8% and manufacturing -.1%. Biggest gains were in Other Services +4.6%, Leisure and Hospitality +4.4% and Education and Health Services +3.8%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado