U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 17,389 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, My daughter attends DU and we need to drive her back to school for the first day of class on January 3rd. I don't want to drive Interstate 80 in the winter. I'm planning on a southern route; maybe through Las Vegas or Flagstaff or even Santa Fe. I can't seem to find a website that will give me an idea of how the road conditions or road profiles look. We (mother & daughter) will be traveling on New Year's Eve and New Year's day in order to get to Denver on time. My local AAA thinks I am nuts. I believe our car is in good shape, though. I certainly appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 01:47 PM

210 posts, read 1,257,424 times
DU-- a great school (OK, so I am biased....)!!

It definitely would be easier if you were more south. You could take I-15 north through Las Vegas to I-70. We have driven that before, but in early December. Then, it was fine, I think the most problems you would have with that route would be the stretch between Grand Junction and Denver (it could be iffy that time of year). I'm not sure how I-40 would be, I've never been on it past the CA-AZ state line, but I think once you get to I-25 you're generally set-- there are occasional problems but a lot fewer than on I-70. Or, if you want to be really safe, you could take I-8-- I don't think it gets much snow!

Old 12-04-2006, 01:54 PM

Default Thank you,TinajaCo

Thanks so much. Yes, I'm biased, too. She loves her university. I'll check out the routes. My good friend who grew up in Denver said the same about Grand Junction being iffy in the winter. Do you remember how many times snow chains might be needed? That was my problem with Interstate 80-there's about 5 summits where chains might be needed. I pity the truckers who must use that route.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:07 PM

210 posts, read 1,257,424 times
I wouldn't worry about Grand Junction as much as once you get west, out of Grand Junction, especially Glenwood Canyon, Vail Pass, and through to the Eisenhower Tunnel. I do not think they require chains much-- the last few times I have been in Vail and the weather was bad, they just closed the interstate, and I think they've been doing that more lately (I don't have any numbers to back that up, that's just from my observations). It's hard to predict what the weather will be like, except to say that it is winter, so anything is possible. If you choose the I-40 route, I-40 meets I-25 in Albuquerque, and it's about an 8-hour drive from Albuquerque to Denver, in good weather. There are a couple of passes on I-25 between Albuquerque and Denver, but they are rarely closed due to weather.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 PM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times
We have traveled lots between San Diego and Denver over the years. We would always check the weather forecast a couple of days before before making the final decision on which route to take. If the weather was to be good, we'd always take I-70 through the mountains (fastest route); otherwise, we'd take the southern route through NM.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:41 PM

Thank you, gpraceman. We were planning to drive directly to Las Vegas for the first day. It's about 8 hours from San Jose. Since it's New Year's Eve, I am making a hotel reservation for that night. From Las Vegas, how far can we realistically drive east?

Old 12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 21 days ago)

10,885 posts, read 29,317,265 times
hopefully one of you will have a laptop with wireless access for your trip...

bookmark http://www.cotrip.org/

Old 12-04-2006, 02:46 PM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Girl View Post
Thank you, gpraceman. We were planning to drive directly to Las Vegas for the first day. It's about 8 hours from San Jose. Since it's New Year's Eve, I am making a hotel reservation for that night. From Las Vegas, how far can we realistically drive east?
You can do the Vegas to Denver leg in one stretch, but it is tiring (we've done San Diego to Denver non-stop several times). You can always stop in some mountain town. Glenwood Springs would be a good place to stop. It is a really nice town and you can soak in the hot springs while you are there.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 21 days ago)

10,885 posts, read 29,317,265 times
either 1-80 or I-70... or I-40 to I-25

Old 12-04-2006, 03:09 PM

Hi 2bindenver-I'm new, so what is cotrip.org. We will have laptops. I'll check it out. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or