U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 9,216 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Does anyone have any information about the "enchanted forest" subdivision of Bayfield, Co? We want to move there soon but are worried about the distance to Durango since that is where we both will be working. We want to be out in nature, but not feel totally isolated.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 04:07 PM

5,533 posts, read 5,090,492 times
It all depends on your habits and feelings. I'm more than twice as far from Durango and ok with that. Some of my former neighbors apparently didn't like it as much after thinking they'd try it or be fine with it and eventually moved into or closer to town. Where you pick depends in part of what you are willing to pay and how you balance different urban / rural interests.

Isolation is a relative term. If you lived in Enchanted Forest you'll still have neighbors, just spaced a bit further walk or drive apart. You have to go the extra mile to meet them (knock on their door, attend community meetings, etc.), you won't for the most part just bump into them. Or have your social life mainly in town. If you want hundreds or thousands of near neighbors and constant opportunities for contact, any shopping beyond a new small liquor store within 15 miles or any other urban "things to do" then Enchanted Forest is not for you.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-16-2017 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 08:41 AM

It might not be quite 15 miles to Durango or edge of town from there but that depends on exact address. Maybe more like 10-12. Not that big a deal for many. But if both of you want / need to shuttle between home and town several times a day every day (instead of one typically and twice occasionally) it could get old and bug some folks a lot.

They have a Bayfield address because I guess the Bayfield post office serves them as with other outlying areas, but it is not an official part of Bayfield and its small business district isn't much if any nearer than Durango. But if you want relaxed, the shopping opportunities / services there are in Bayfield have no traffic or parking hassles.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-17-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM

107 posts, read 356,024 times
Are children/schools are factor? Bayfield schools but both working in Durango could be tricky. I do believe that neighborhood is zoned for Bayfield schools but I could be wrong. With Enchanted Forest, most people go up Florida Rd from Durango to go home, not through Bayfield where those schools are.

You wouldn't be running to the store for a gallon of milk but like NW Crow mentioned, if you are the type that just goes in to town once a day for work, that is different then if you were wanting to pop into a coffee shop for a cup.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:46 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,732,580 times
In Enchanted Forest you'll be closer to Bayfield for groceries, etc than you would be to Durango. 10 miles to Bayfield and about 15 to Durango. Hope you like snow though. I live down in the Pine River Valley about 1/2 mile south of downtown Bayfield and we watch that area 8 miles north of us (the southern edges of the San Juans) get pounded all winter long. Many days that we have rain, they have 8-12" of snow. Some days we have sunshine, they have snow. We have long views to the north and we see it all. My wife has a cousin that is in the process of selling her house in a subdivision that's located within a mile of Enchanted Forest. She & her husband work in Durango so they travel down Florida road every day and this winter was the last straw for them. Lots of snow there and it resulted in difficulties getting to/from work & getting their two kids to daycare. Days that it's only flurrying in Durango, it could be a blizzard 15 miles up Florida Road. I've seen it happen. It's not the paved county roads (Florida road is CR240) that are the problem, it's the steep hills in the subdivisions. They're on steep mountain sides so even after plowing, it can still be a white knuckle drive down off the mountainside to the county road.

It is a pretty area but understand that on bad weather days if you need a quart of milk & loaf of bread, you'll have a slog ahead of you.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone. The information is very helpful.

AMB8301, we do not have kids, but we are planning to in the future. We are both teachers, so we plan on having our kids eventually go to school in the Durango school district since that is where we both work.

Just out of curiosity, how many days out of the year would you expect lots of snow in that area? We are coming from the Denver metro area where it is relatively mild. Also, how do they do with plowing florida road? We wouldn't be too far up up a dirt road with the home we are looking at.

Thanks again,

Caroline

Last edited by CKmaximus123; 05-20-2017 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 AM

107 posts, read 356,024 times
The winters here are generally mild, or have been for the last few years. You are going to get more snow up there then in town Durango. CDOT does a decent job with CR 240 (Florida Rd would be the City of Durango's jurisdiction for plowing). Sections of the road frequently have ice because of shade and when I used to live up there (it's been 15 years!), the hill prior to Edgemont would frequently have vehicles stuck on it that didn't have snow tires/4WD/AWD. I've only know one family who lived in Enchanted Forest and I do remember them having difficulty with access in the winter due to snow, that was one of the years it snowed quite a bit. They lasted two winters and moved to town. I was supposed to go over there one day and when they started telling me about parking, walking, and potentially bringing a sled for me to pull my kids in is when I said that we might be busy that day! I never actually went to their house to I don't know how far back they were. We've spend a fair amount of time visiting friends in Tween Lakes in the winter and always managed ok.

It is busy road in the mornings with all the traffic from the Edgemonts and beyond coming in. Just expect a line of traffic coming in.

9R is changing their policies for open enrollment so depending on where you are working, just know it isn't always a guarantee that your children will be able to attend in district. Some of the elementary schools are getting so large that I heard from two employees of 9R, that it is affecting employee's children. You've obviously got a while since children are not here yet. The big problem is that there are only three in town elementary schools for Durango and a large amount of people that work in Durango but do not live in the boundaries. While 9R is "open enrollment", some of the elementary schools absolutely will not take open enrollment because of no space. 9R is also adjusting the open enrollment guidelines now so instead of open enrollment being considered on a yearly basis (you had to reapply every year), the school has to commit to taking the child for their entire schooling duration at the school. There are different tiers of employees at 9R and how the are children accepted (this is just what I hear from people that work at 9R, I do not work there myself), and I did hear stories of employees that work at one of the elementary schools but live in Bayfield (out of 9R's district entirely) not being able to have their children attend the school they work at because there is no space.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Okay thank you for the information. I will look into the school district policies.

The house we are looking at is right off of 240 with only about .2 miles off a dirt road so hopefully the winter access wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks again,

Old 05-21-2017, 10:34 AM

The plowing of 240 is fine / continuous as needed.

In snow season it is typical to have about 2 light snows per week and one moderate to heavy one but you'll have a week or two here and there of almost none and an occasional week of more or lot more.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Thanks NW crow , I appcriate the insight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado