U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,224,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
If you think that industrial-scale addiction-feeding is what the legalization movement is all about, then you have a very narrow view of it. I don't mean that in a hurtful way, it is very common for folks who have no experience to think that way.

Nothing could be further from the truth.
Fair enough. I don't think that's ALL there is to the legalization movement but nor do I think that aspect has NOTHING to do with it. Meaning marijuana/cannabis does, in my opinion, have legitimate health-benefits for certain folks with certain conditions. I'm going to guestimate in my uneducated opinion that ten percent or less of total consumption is for these "legitimate health benefits" with the other 90%+ of consumption because its a sweet high. Four of my friends in high-school consumed marijuana regularly. Two got over it and went on to have highly productive lives. One so-so. The smartest guy of all (1580 on the old SAT in which 1600 was perfect) dropped out of college to smoke vast quantities of dope daily. This was back in the late 1980's early 90's so its nothing especially new. Legalizing it is the right decision in my mind, given all the various permutations and alternatives. Celebrating it is going rather too far for my taste (except for the 10% or less being consumed in the non-mind-altering manner for health-related reasons).

This may sound odd but I think of legalized marijuana (and alcohol and tobacco, etc.) in roughly analogous terms as I do legalized abortion. Fraught with pros and cons and heated opinions. Probably better legal than illegal, given what society looks like with it illegal (prohibition horrors / grotesquely unsafe conditions for illegal abortions which the rich/connected will get regardless of legality / etc.). But at the same time not something to GLORIFY or ENCOURAGE (again, making an exception for HEALTH related cannabis rather than MIND-ALTERING recreational ganga smoking).

Most of us know or know of one or more young folks who smoke weed daily and to their detriment. My wife's cousin we watched grow up is now in his mid 20's in Denver and would rather just hang around and smoke dope every day than accept the construction job starting at $25/hour his uncle (my wife's brother) has offered him in a large construction company. He'd have to quit smoking for two weeks to pass the drug-test and he just doesn't want to deal with it. Nor the ongoing random drug tests. He'd rather chill and smoke dope. Fine, good for him. His life, his call.

Sorry to hijack the "Trinidad is Thriving" thread but I'm just not sold on gambling or drugs (including alcohol) as the sustainable savior of an economy. Surely there must be other alternatives, however challenging to get going. People obviously like their/our vices and that's an easy thing to tap into. Whether it's the "right" thing or a sustainable/healthy thing, I suppose time will tell.

I appreciate the civil tone of the discussion; no offense is intended. The entire world is experiencing a transition from rural and small town to large urban conglomerations. It's not just Colorado, and it's good to hear certain places are adapting and thriving. Hopefully that "thriving" can eventually include a broad spectrum of economic factors beyond legalized vice-driven business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 07:18 AM

23 posts, read 22,538 times
Trinidad has just as good or better bud shops than denver. Cannaco is the best shop ive been to in all of CO. I went last year for a random vacation and absolutely loved it. Lots for adults to enjoy but not much for our child to do. Great fresh bagels at safeway and the dollar store was legit. The mountain drive up to ft garland was scary af but had all the sightseeing i hoped to see and didnt in the mts w of denver. I can see trinidad absolutely booming if other states dont soon legalize. its just a feeling i got when i was there. The hwy was somewhat annoying but it wasnt a deal breaker for me. Found a nice 30 acre plot of land 15 min from city for only 13k 5o check out this summer. Its got a bad crime rating but when i was there i saw cops patrolling the town 24\7 and felt more than safe. Nice friendly locals too and lots of college age cool kids working around the bud shops and downtown

Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylissa View Post
Trinidad has just as good or better bud shops than denver. Cannaco is the best shop ive been to in all of CO. I went last year for a random vacation and absolutely loved it. Lots for adults to enjoy but not much for our child to do. Great fresh bagels at safeway and the dollar store was legit. The mountain drive up to ft garland was scary af but had all the sightseeing i hoped to see and didnt in the mts w of denver. I can see trinidad absolutely booming if other states dont soon legalize. its just a feeling i got when i was there. The hwy was somewhat annoying but it wasnt a deal breaker for me. Found a nice 30 acre plot of land 15 min from city for only 13k 5o check out this summer. Its got a bad crime rating but when i was there i saw cops patrolling the town 24\7 and felt more than safe. Nice friendly locals too and lots of college age cool kids working around the bud shops and downtown
Oh well, then. I'll certainly put Trinidad as no. 1 on my list should I ever move back to the Front Range. The quality of local bud shops is definitely a priority any thinking person would take into account.

Unfortunately, a quality local bud shop or two is not going to be the salvation of rural and small town Colorado. My town of Cortez has several bud shops that the cognoscenti assure me are all of the highest quality and selection (I'm no expert myself). Cortez is very conveniently located within 20 miles or so of the borders of 3 other states, so one might think the influx of out of state pot buyers would make this a prosperous place. Alas, this is simply not so. Montezuma County has an unemployment rate of well over 7% in contrast to Colorado as a whole which has an unemployment rate of a mere 2.3%. Legal marijuana alone is NOT going to be the tide which raises all ships.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 AM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Not taking any "side" at the moment, here are some numbers to help with perspective on size of marijuana economy:

Total reported sales of marijuana in legal stores has past $1 billion annually and might be running $1.5 b / yr now or shortly. I dunno what portion is out of state sales but say it is 1/3rd. Then the resident sales is somewhere around $400 per adult per year. Is that about 1.5 ounces? If 80-90% buy nothing, then multiply that 5-10 times for the users.

Total tax revenue is at least 20% of sales so it is generating around $300 million statewide, enough to provide $55 bucks in services per resident annually at current rates. It might be contributing about 1% of total state and local revenues respectively.

Las Animas County has less than 0.3% of state population. If you assume it has a proportional share of mj economy, then it has less than half million in sales and might get somewhere around $50,000 in local mj taxes. Enough to pay / outfit about a half fte police officer probably. The total economy of Las Animas county is around $400 million. So the mj economy is a bit over 1% of the total. Other sales in the shops might increase total shop sales 50-100% and the tax impacts modestly (assuming regular tax rates?). To the extent that some counties don't have legal sales, the counties that do might say a third more business than shown above. That will "help" the local economy but be careful not to over-sell or hope on it. Trinidad's economy is about 25% smaller than national average so if 1% of the economy grows, even fast, all it will do is slightly reduce the deficit.

As time goes by, if legal sales more fully co-ops illegal private sales, the legal mj economy might increase 2-5 times depending on how big it really is overall now. Converting to legal would increase tax collections but not the total real incomes (reported and not).

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-30-2017 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 AM

5,433 posts, read 3,488,542 times
Wasn't Trinidad once known as the capital of sex change, gender reassignment surgery?

Old 05-30-2017, 11:57 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Wasn't Trinidad once known as the capital of sex change, gender reassignment surgery?
Yes, but that clinic closed several years ago and the doctor went to Hollywood to do her work.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,114 times
Thriving doesn't equal growth but sustainability, IMO. For us, that depends on the national legalization of marijuana. But being as we're situated close to conservative states unlikely to legalize it, I think our mj business will be around a while. Most of our customers are out of state. Right now there are too many stores, but competition will winnow them out. Art is thriving. A café society is thriving. Live theater, museums, galleries, local crafts, a farmers' market and a dog park. I think our town is fine. The freeway truly is not a problem. The lighting is subtle, the architecture Romanesque, and personally I like the fact that I can get on the freeway and go north or south lickety-split. This town isn't for everyone. We like it small! But it's a fun place to visit. And don't forget to check out the A.R. Mitchell Museum and have lunch in The Café across the street.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:16 PM

12,252 posts, read 8,040,413 times
It is a nice town to drive through.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,426,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Population
1940 13,223
2015 8,153
Lol. Maybe, quality over quantity? Or maybe not. I was there for a day last April and didn't notice much going on other than the construction of a new bank on Commercial Street. I did notice quite a few people milling around town who looked, to me at least, to be sort of "rough around the edges" types (read:riff raff).

Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,114 times
The essence of legalization of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and as the former poster included abortion, I will too. The crux of the matter is the freedom to choose for yourself. We live in a dysfunctional world. If we find comfort w/o hurting others, mind your own business.

As for the less than desirable people seen downtown, Trinidad began as a town on the Santa Fe Trail. Being a trail town, we are unusually tolerant. All kinds of people traveled the Trail. The sex-change reputation brought many alternate people to town and they were accepted and many are still here and love it. Drop City was a commune north of town, and the hippies were accepted. Now we have pot heads wearing legal smiles, and we accept them as peaceable folk. Along with the good people come beggars and crooks, but that's humanity. Also, being on the highway, we get the transients moving south in autumn and north in spring. We are all God's creatures.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-22-2017 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado