U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 08:34 AM

141 posts, read 62,970 times

Advertisements

I am going to go visit Trinidad in the fall. All this talk of marijuana and stuff, I would feel better (snicker) if I got some first hand experience. I will rely on my bloodhound instinct to find the marijuana in town. Can anyone suggest a nice cabin to rent for a few days? I just need somewhere nice to settle down for a few days waking and baking while looking at some mountains from the porch. A little fishing would be cool also.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 AM

5,308 posts, read 7,140,000 times
Trinidad is not a mountain town, fyi.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:58 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,596,485 times
I would say it is. Or so close. I visit there twice a year. Wanting peace and quiet but plenty of hiking, check out Stonewall on highway 12. There are cabins right next to the Wall. YOU will love it

Old 10-13-2017, 10:58 PM

262 posts, read 549,413 times
Doesn't the State have a prison there? Hmm Dog Park? Now that's for me other than the wide open areas West I presume? Peace

Old 02-12-2018, 09:33 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,944,785 times
Had a few Trinidad area questions to try:

Has anyone spent time in Comanche Grassland? Any pictures?

Climate data suggests decent summer rainfall amounts. If that so? How is the soil for gardening?

The big- make that gigantic- private landowner or owners in the mountains directly west... is there any sort of permit system for hiking access?

Are there natural stands of Aspens in hills west and south of town? Much deciduous trees in the valleys? What is most common?

Any estimate of how summer tourists stop in town on a typical weekend?

Favorite city park?

Best campground or dispersed camping area with about 30 minutes of town?

Has there been much travel restriction in the nearby national forest and BLM lands due to fire threat? Any recent big blazes nearby?

Any attendees / recent graduates of the junior college have any brief summary impressions of the college and / or the town?

Would it be correct to assume the mountain biking options are plentiful? How developed?

Best connected / most effective political or business leader?

Anything new happening at Cuchara?

fwiw I read that the marijuana tax collections have exceeded expectations and some of the money was used to a trolkey and fund other economic development projects.

I wasn't aware that Amtrak's Southwest Chief stops there.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-12-2018 at 10:35 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 01:22 AM

13,213 posts, read 24,255,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
It stops in Raton as well. One can bus out of either one (IIRC) and get to Denver.

Don't know if you've seen these, but I went there in 2014 (and haven't been back since ).
http://www.city-data.com/forum/36567956-post57.html

Old 02-13-2018, 07:29 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,054,570 times
I seem to recall hearing that the three CO counties that lead the state in marijuana sales are all along the new Mexico border.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:05 AM

245 posts, read 160,256 times
I didn't read the article

Recreational marijuana sales highest per capita in Colorado's rural ...

https://www.denverpost.com/.../per-c...ural-colorado/

4 days ago - For Trinidad, which is home to Las Animas' two-dozen recreational marijuana shops, the industry has been an absolute boon, said Greg Sund, city manager. The interstate traffic, notably visitors from New Mexico and Texas, is what drives sales to the city's marijuana industry, he said. Hotel and motel ...

Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 AM

4,618 posts, read 1,300,844 times
https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/02/...-border/98669/

"While the bulk of Colorado’s $1.09 billion in 2017 recreational marijuana sales occurred in the state’s population hubs of Denver and Arapahoe counties, rural Las Animas County, population 14,083, led the state with more than $3,100 of recreational cannabis sold for every adult and child."

"Trinidad collected $2.9 million in marijuana tax revenue in 2017, Sund said. The city initially budgeted a tax boost south of the $1.4 million collected in 2016."

Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 AM

4,618 posts, read 1,300,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Had a few Trinidad area questions to try:

Has anyone spent time in Comanche Grassland? Any pictures?

Climate data suggests decent summer rainfall amounts. If that so? How is the soil for gardening?

The big- make that gigantic- private landowner or owners in the mountains directly west... is there any sort of permit system for hiking access?

Are there natural stands of Aspens in hills west and south of town? Much deciduous trees in the valleys? What is most common?

Any estimate of how summer tourists stop in town on a typical weekend?

Favorite city park?

Best campground or dispersed camping area with about 30 minutes of town?

Has there been much travel restriction in the nearby national forest and BLM lands due to fire threat? Any recent big blazes nearby?

Any attendees / recent graduates of the junior college have any brief summary impressions of the college and / or the town?

Would it be correct to assume the mountain biking options are plentiful? How developed?

Best connected / most effective political or business leader?

Anything new happening at Cuchara?

fwiw I read that the marijuana tax collections have exceeded expectations and some of the money was used to a trolkey and fund other economic development projects.

We almost bought a place in Cuchara, but it fell through. During the process I did quite a bit of research on the area. Seems there isn't a whole lot going on, but the county did recently purchase the old ski resort and they are turning it into a park: http://cucharavillage.com/parkbrochure.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado