U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:05 AM

2,471 posts, read 932,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I am going to go visit Trinidad in the fall. All this talk of marijuana and stuff, I would feel better (snicker) if I got some first hand experience. I will rely on my bloodhound instinct to find the marijuana in town. Can anyone suggest a nice cabin to rent for a few days? I just need somewhere nice to settle down for a few days waking and baking while looking at some mountains from the porch. A little fishing would be cool also.
Sounds like a plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Trinidad is not a mountain town, fyi.
And neither is Colorado Springs. It's where the high plains meet the Front Range. But we can still kick back and stare at Pikes Peak. I lived there twice, and couldn't take my eyes off of it.

Pictures and Information about Colorado Springs

-------------------------------

Old 07-09-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
We were joking the other day re: would KS or OK be the 50th state to legalize . . .
"Oklahoma is now the 31st state to legalize and regulate the use of medical cannabis under state law, and the fourteenth to do so by a direct vote of the people."

http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary...he-week-752018

-------------------------------------------------

Old 07-09-2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I guess I walked the wrong street. Did know there was a brewery at the north side. Tried to find it but couldn't. We walked several miles and I guess we should have gotten off he main drag. When were driving the area we tend to drive around looking at neat Victorian homes. They do have some beauties. Came close many years ago of buying the home across from a B&B we've stayed at a few times in the pass on 2nd street. The Tarabino. In another few weeks were driving the RV and staying at Trinidad Lake State Park. I'll definitely check out how many pots shops compared to liquor stores. A town of 7000 must need their fluids when smoking pot.
Don't forget that Trinidad serves the whole surrounding area. It is the county seat, and the largest town in that county. People come from all over to shop. Plus I-25 goes through town, and people stop in on their way to, or from wherever. Plus their proximity to NM as well brings in business.

There is a little town in E Oregon near the Idaho border that does big business from over the border. The same happens with Trinidad. Those 7,000 citizens are not smoking, and drinking everything that is being sold. Far from it. And besides, I'm sure that over time the amount of mj stores will thin out, and only the best shops will remain. Word gets around who has the best product.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I love the town!! I spend lots of time there. I understand there is beer and wine which I do like and am voting for medical marijuana. I can't see how all the money you say they bring in is doing anything on Main Street. I see what i want is normal and loving to walk down main street is one of them. The area has a lot but where is the money going. I see board up building. DO YOU SEE THE BOARD UP BUILDING? oR MAYBE we all see what we want. Still may buy there but do not think the pot business has help. i know several people that live there so I'll be coming back.

I guess your right I look at business not prospering what do you see?
The privately owned boarded up business will probably have to wait for the funds to trickle down as the mj funds are not earmarked for the private sector.

"Trinidad collected $2.9 million in marijuana tax revenue in 2017, Sund said. The city initially budgeted a tax boost south of the $1.4 million collected in 2016.

That money has been put toward a slew of one-time and short-term projects — items that have been shelved for years, he said. The revenue from marijuana has resulted in additions to the city vehicle fleet, a building shell for a new animal shelter facility, a ladder truck for the firehouse and also played a part in the redevelopment of a city block into 41 live-work units, he said.

“These types of efforts help draw focus to activity in town,” Sund said. “I think it just helps general attitudes.”

At the same time, city leaders have been reticent to build the marijuana tax collections into the city’s general fund, he said.

“Something that’s going up this fast is going to level off or come down,” he said.

As Trinidad welcomes the economic boom from its newest sector, city officials also are building the foundation to bolster leisure-recreational offerings, he said.

“We strongly recognize the need to diversify the economy,” Sund said, noting a previous reliance on industries such as coal and gas that are prone to boom-and-bust cycles."

https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/02/...-border/98669/

-----------------------------------------------

Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 AM

20,858 posts, read 39,100,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Not quite. The Dr was a he, and passed away of old age. Nice try though. (o:

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/21/u...nges-dies.html
--------------------------------------
Your try is a fail, read this article, the Doc was a SHE and she went to California.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Not quite. The Dr was a he, and passed away of old age. Nice try though. (o:

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/21/u...nges-dies.html
--------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Your try is a fail, read this article, the Doc was a SHE and she went to California.
But how can it be a "fail" if it's true? This is the rest of the story. Dr Biber is the one who made Trinidad world famous for that type of surgery.

I lived in Colorado from 79 to 2014, and semi kept up on the Dr in Trinidad because I was scouting out different towns to move to, and he was in the news every so often. At any rate he was the one who pioneered the procedure when very few were doing it decades before his protegee took it over.

"Stanley H. Biber, a small-town Colorado doctor who for decades was internationally renowned as the dean of sex-change surgery, died on Monday at a hospital in Pueblo. He was 82 and lived in Hoehne, Colo."

"A former Army surgeon, Dr. Biber (pronounced BYE-ber) was among the first doctors in the United States to perform sex changes and for years was one of only a handful to offer them. He became one of the country's most prolific providers of the operation, which, it was estimated, he performed more than 4,000 times beginning in 1969."

"During the 1970's, 80's and early 90's, Trinidad, Colo., where Dr. Biber practiced, was an unlikely mecca for men and women who sought to change their sex. Featured frequently on television and in newspapers, the doctor's work earned the town (current population 9,078) a reputation as "the sex-change capital of the world."

But it appears that both of us are correct in that "His practice has been taken over by a protégée, Dr. Marci Bowers, who herself made the transition from male to female several years ago." But he is the one who put Trinidad on the map for decades long before she took it over.

Give credit where credit is due.

P.S. I wasn't allowed to read your article without paying. Nevermind, I disabled my ad blocker. Now I can see it.

Last edited by mlulu23; 07-09-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,608,399 times
Quote:
And neither is Colorado Springs. It's where the high plains meet the Front Range. But we can still kick back and stare at Pikes Peak. I lived there twice, and couldn't take my eyes off of it.

Pictures and Information about Colorado Springs

-------------------------------
Our plan is on the Santa Fe Trail on the Raton Pass and the lot we're looking at is over 8000 feet. Not a mountain town like some but enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado