U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,489 times

Advertisements

Hello Colorado! My best friend and I both recently scored excellent job offers in Silverthorne. However, neither of us is too keen on living in Summit County. Instead, we are considering commuting from Golden. Given we would be roommates, commuting to the same job on the same schedule, we would be able to split the cost and labor of driving such a long distance for work every day. We are both well-traveled individuals and have driven all over the United States in pretty much any weather conditions you could imagine.

I would like to hear from anyone that has experience making a similar commute in Colorado on a daily basis. Are we setting ourselves up for misery and (eventually) failure? Is it bad enough that we should scrap the entire idea and try to find affordable long-term housing in Summit County instead? Or, since we would be sharing the burden of the commute, is this completely doable? Should we stop worrying about it and just enjoy the drive?

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on the topic. Thank you all so much for your advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 10:20 AM

3,049 posts, read 2,077,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker_alan View Post
Are we setting ourselves up for misery and (eventually) failure? Is it bad enough that we should scrap the entire idea and try to find affordable long-term housing in Summit County instead?
Yup. That is a hellacious commute. It may not be awful in summer months, although it will be long. In winter months it will become very tedious and even more time consuming.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:02 AM

634 posts, read 890,988 times
That is not a good idea. As ^ said, maybe not too bad in summer but winter? Forget it.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 AM

414 posts, read 257,308 times
Not only would it be time consuming during the winter months but there would also be the possibility of days in which you would not not even be able to get to work. I70 and the Eisenhower Tunnel often close during snow storms.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:47 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times
You would have to go up and over the continental divide twice a day. Sometimes it's downright nasty up there.

What is your housing budget?

Old 05-21-2017, 12:35 PM

128 posts, read 163,861 times
Have you looked into Kremmling, Fairplay, or Leadville as possibilities? These would still be rough drives in the winter, although considerably shorter and with less traffic than the commute from Golden.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:40 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
That's a commute of about 60 miles each way and will eat you alive. Live up there if at all possible.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:11 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
Kremmling is a good suggestion. Less than half of the distance to Silverthorne than from Golden, and no high mountain pass.

OP, why do you not want to live in Summit County? What are you looking for in terms of housing and/or other amenities?

Old 05-21-2017, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,489 times
Thanks all, for your great responses! This is pretty much what I expected to see, but it is still very helpful to see others confirm my suspicions.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:43 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
My brother used to work 4 days a week in Summit. He found a buddy to crash with on those 4 days and it was still brutal to make it to work on the first day of his 4 day cycle when he was commuting up the hill.

You're going to hate life pretty soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or