U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:55 AM

6,885 posts, read 6,460,372 times

Advertisements

Plenty of wildlife in Conifer. It's when you get above tree line that things get more sparse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,941,784 times
The deer & elk go where the food / water / travel conditions are best. Lower elevation in winter / spring. Sometimes higher in summer / early fall. Within days they might change elevation too.

Elk & deer are pretty common to see in early evening. Got to be careful driving. Wildlife collisions are high in CO.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:31 PM

397 posts, read 586,496 times
Lots of questions! I'll do my best to answer them. I live in South Evergreen and have three kids who attend the local public schools. 2-5 acres will be almost impossible in North Evergreen with your budget. If you are willing to settle for less land then No. Evergreen could work. You can buy in South Evergreen and get a 2 acre lot with your budget, but you will likely have to do some updates on the house. Your money does go farther the further out you go. Conifer, Pine and Bailey will have more options with acreage within your budget.

Chickens...it's the zoning for the property, the covenants/HOA and the type of well that you will need to look into. Just because the zoning for the property may allow chickens, it doesn't mean covenants for the neighborhood/subdivision will allow for them. If you have a "household use only" well you are not supposed to water anything outside of your home. You can purchase water rights through Mountain Mutual Reservoir Company or similar. You will need to have a water rights attorney help you through the process. If you have the water rights, you can likely augment your well to allow the irrigation of a garden. Or you could collect rainwater in a barrel and use that. It used to be illegal, but the law changed about a year ago. You can store up to 100 gallons in 1 or 2 rain barrels to use for irrigating a garden or watering your chickens.

The schools in Park County and Clear Creek County are tiny in comparison to the Jeffco public schools up here. I recently heard that Park Co. is having some budget/tax issues which is causing some problems with the Park Co. schools (especially the high school). There are kids open enrolling into Conifer HS as a result. Open enrollment is an option, but you would be responsible for getting your kids to/from school each day. Bus service is not provided outside the zoned area. Open enrollment from Clear Creek County schools into Evergreen schools isn't as easy. Evergreen schools are at max capacity and there's no guarantee these days of getting open enrollment.

If you chose to live in Bailey or Pine, you would be doing a lot of driving. The large grocery chains are located in Conifer. Kids activities would have you driving a lot as well.

I always advise my clients to have a home inspection including radon test. Radon tests are about $125.00 which isn't much in comparison to the price point of the home you would be buying. In addition to the home inspection, if the house is on a well then doing a well productivity test and water potability tests are advised. I encourage Buyers to also have the main line from the house out to the septic tank video scoped to make sure it is intact. The Seller is responsible for getting the septic tank and leach field inspected and the tank pumped.

You won't get high speed cable internet in most areas in the foothills. My husband works from home and is constantly on conference calls, uploading and downloading business docs, etc. I work from home quite often and we have three boys who are on Netflix, Xbox One, and the internet constantly. We have CenturyLink and Rise Broadband. We pay about $100/mo for both and we have no problems. That being said, every home/location in the foothills is different and the type of service that you can get at each home varies.

Wildlife abounds up here. Elk, deer, bears, mountain lions, and coyotes.

The wood siding on homes does require maintenance. The sun beats on southern exposures the most so that area might need to be treated more often. A total re-stain will probably be every 5 years or so. The woodpeckers tend to do a job on many cedar clad homes.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:20 AM

20 posts, read 17,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
Lots of questions! I'll do my best to answer them. I live in South Evergreen and have three kids who attend the local public schools. 2-5 acres will be almost impossible in North Evergreen with your budget. If you are willing to settle for less land then No. Evergreen could work. You can buy in South Evergreen and get a 2 acre lot with your budget, but you will likely have to do some updates on the house. Your money does go farther the further out you go. Conifer, Pine and Bailey will have more options with acreage within your budget.

Chickens...it's the zoning for the property, the covenants/HOA and the type of well that you will need to look into. Just because the zoning for the property may allow chickens, it doesn't mean covenants for the neighborhood/subdivision will allow for them. If you have a "household use only" well you are not supposed to water anything outside of your home. You can purchase water rights through Mountain Mutual Reservoir Company or similar. You will need to have a water rights attorney help you through the process. If you have the water rights, you can likely augment your well to allow the irrigation of a garden. Or you could collect rainwater in a barrel and use that. It used to be illegal, but the law changed about a year ago. You can store up to 100 gallons in 1 or 2 rain barrels to use for irrigating a garden or watering your chickens.

The schools in Park County and Clear Creek County are tiny in comparison to the Jeffco public schools up here. I recently heard that Park Co. is having some budget/tax issues which is causing some problems with the Park Co. schools (especially the high school). There are kids open enrolling into Conifer HS as a result. Open enrollment is an option, but you would be responsible for getting your kids to/from school each day. Bus service is not provided outside the zoned area. Open enrollment from Clear Creek County schools into Evergreen schools isn't as easy. Evergreen schools are at max capacity and there's no guarantee these days of getting open enrollment.

If you chose to live in Bailey or Pine, you would be doing a lot of driving. The large grocery chains are located in Conifer. Kids activities would have you driving a lot as well.
Thank you so much for taking the time for the informative reply! So I can just purchase water rights? Any ballpark idea of what that could cost? We have almost ruled out North Evergreen but keep looking in case we luck out. I am a residential building contractor (not licensed in CO yet) so as long as the location and land is right I can make the house work.

I think south Evergreen to Bailey is where we have focused in on. We have been relying heavily on the Great School's score on Zillow. If you are familiar do those scores seem accurate to you? See any problems with open enrollment to Conifer schools? Are they maxed out like Evergreen? You have been a great help. Feel free to PM me if you would like and again thank you!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:46 AM

1,303 posts, read 426,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Radon maps of Colorado. Majority of the state is a HIGH hazard area for Radon. Remediation of an existing property usually costs $2-5k.
Our sellers had a mitigation system installed for $800.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:00 PM

2,018 posts, read 4,313,841 times
"I see a lot of wood siding. Does it hold up well in CO or is it constant yearly maintenance?"

We have cedar siding and stain it every 7 years. Our Redwood decks need maintenance about every 3 years.
I highly recommend the company and product used on our house (and just about every home in our "neighborhood"). Woodcare of Evergreen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado