U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:36 PM

20 posts, read 17,296 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody.

My wife, kids and I visited Evergreen last November and will be moving to somewhere around the Evergreen/Conifer area as soon as our house sells. We have a pretty good idea of what we are looking for but still have a few questions. At first we thought my wife would have to commute into Denver so we were set on moving to Evergreen (not to mention we love it). But she has landed a work from home position so the only thing we are bound to is high speed cable internet. Which is good in our case because we are looking to spend 450-500,000 on a home. We are finding our money could go a lot further in Conifer and Bailey. So here we go...

We would like to own over 2 acres, 5 being ideal. We would like to have a garden and a chicken coop. Not interested in any horses or anything, just chickens. Are coops against any of the towns listed above ordinance? I understand there are a few different well permits for water rights. If I bought a house that was permitted household use only what are the chances of obtaining a permit to allow me to water a vegetable garden? Do they even grant AG permits nowadays on less than 35 acres? I went to CO well permit website and see that they receive over 10,000 permit applications a year but they fail to mention how many are granted. Are there any alternative solutions like digging a deeper well to appease the Division of Water Resources or anything else I should know or is just pretty much out of the question and you have to be grandfathered in?

How is the town and schools in Bailey? Does Bailey have anything there as far as grocery stores or would we be driving to Conifer or elsewhere for everything? I read some discouraging things about the bullying problem in the schools and nothing being done about it. The post was a little old but has anyone heard of this? Is there any growth in Bailey? Are there any other towns similar to Evergreen/Conifer that I am missing?

Is a Radon test a must do when purchasing a home?

I see a lot of wood siding. Does it hold up well in CO or is it constant yearly maintenance?

It appears Bailey is more rural. Are the roads plowed as frequent as Evergreen/Conifer?

Do you know of any areas to avoid (across the tracks)?

Thank you for all your time and input!

Last edited by Change of pace; 05-28-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 06:44 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,987,784 times
fwiw, all 3 are unincorporated places (not official cities) served by various special districts and the county.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:03 PM

Thank you. So Jefferson, Park and Clear Creek will be calling the shots on the ordinances then. Good to know.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:31 PM

Radon test is a wise move. Commercial testers, or self mail-in tests. My ag extension agent got me a free kit.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:34 PM

3,048 posts, read 2,077,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Radon test is a wise move. Commercial testers, or self mail-in tests. My ag extension agent got me a free kit.
x2. We simply lack the top soil to keep it all contained and especially on mountain lots, the decomposing granite generates a lot of radon.

Have you checked into the availability of internet connectivity and speeds. This could be critical to a successful work from home job and the more rural nature of these three places could lead to compromises in that regard.

Last edited by TCHP; 05-28-2017 at 07:43 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 07:37 PM

For groceries there is the Bailey General Store & Deli and a Loaf & Jug convenience store. Conifer & Evergreen aren't far for bigger stores / more choices. Another place in Pine area I think.

Wood siding, depends on quality of wood / treatment / construction and whether snow sets up against all season or roof melt drips on it and the level of wind / sun exposure. Maintenance may be necessary or helpful. Winter will test anything. Wood will be the most common. Definitely check the condition but it can be ok / manageable.

Major (relative to previous) population growth in Bailey area in 90s. Not much since. Small bumps up & down. Recently a little up.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-28-2017 at 07:54 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 07:51 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times
Radon maps of Colorado. Majority of the state is a HIGH hazard area for Radon. Remediation of an existing property usually costs $2-5k.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:06 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Growing vegetables in the mountains is very trying. Late freezes and a very short growing season. I know people who did it, but they like the challenge and enjoy frustration.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:53 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Growing vegetables in the mountains is very trying. Late freezes and a very short growing season. I know people who did it, but they like the challenge and enjoy frustration.
I agree. It can be done, but it often involves a greenhouse or temporary cover for frost. Coming from Florida you will be shocked by the limited growing season. I bet your yield is 10x in central Florida what it is in the foothills.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:07 AM

Thanks all. We will be renting first so we will go over a check list of sorts before we buy. So far that list goes something like this- Southern exposure, natural gas or propane, internet, Radon, schools, roads plowed, a couple usable acres, AG well, along with a few others. Just trying to get my ducks in a row so we don't buy and then find out later we made a mistake. I would like to build a small green house for the garden. I don't think I would attempt a garden without it.

One question I forgot to ask which means a great deal to me. Do the elk and deer among other wildlife hang around a certain elevation or can they be found all the way up? When we visited we saw a lot of elk around close to downtown evergreen. We stayed in a cabin up at 9200ft and didn't see any. I think Conifer is about 1000ft higher than Evergreen. Will we loose the wildlife the further up we go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado